• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzodiazepines recreational use

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorbb

Greenlighter
Can someone please explain the fun in getting high with benzos? I have no personal experience, but I would think that feeling tired and groggy and unable to think clearly or talk clearly would be zero fun. But the way these things get abused today, others seem to think otherwise. Not knocking anyone who uses them, both medically or non-medically. Just wondering.

btw, i'm on librium at the moment and they're exactly as you describe i.e they just turn you into a zombie, even at small doses... Many other benzos xanax, lorazepam and the ilk are all good monged out, but still able to function, fun. Valium with a few, slowly drunk(though I wouldn't advise it) beers are a stumblimg, bumbling, mumbling giggle aswell.

Yeah, I think Librium is more lower potency, so I think even taking a lot of them to get high would be no good. Xanax and Ativan I know are pretty potent, so I would think they would give more of a high than Valium or Librium.

In one of the inpatient psych wards I worked at, a new doctor came in with the ideal that IM lorazepam would better de-escalate belligerent patients than IM haloperidol. Nobody told the patients (all adolescents of ages 14-18) that a new stat sedative was being used, but over the course of several weeks I saw a sea change in the ward. Before lorazepam we'd have one or two incidents a week, usually with the same patients (about 25% of the total population). About 3 weeks into the lorazepam experiment, we'd have several incidents per day, and only about 10% of the patients refrained from outbursts.

Those who've worked at an inpatient facility will know what I mean. The staff would be lounging in the nurses' station when all of a sudden we'd hear saurian noises from some corner of the facility. Then the whole drill of all of us surrounding the possessed while one of the psychologists would attempt to talk him out of pulverizing the television set with the water fountain he'd just ripped out of the wall. The talking approach would often work during the haloperidol era, but it became absolutely futile when we started using the lorazepam.

Again, nobody told the patients we'd switched from haloperidol to lorazepam. Yet they'd sacrifice all their privileges and fracture their own bones to get the shot. I think the best answer to your question is that it just causes reward-seeking behavior, regardless of what hellish maze the rodent has to navigate.

Yeah, I think Librium is more lower potency

Librium is just a prodrug for valium (diazepam) so in a way it's kinda like an extended release valium...

I'd say if you're looking to have fun on benzos, look into IV midazolam...

In one of the inpatient psych wards I worked at, a new doctor came in with the ideal that IM lorazepam would better de-escalate belligerent patients than IM haloperidol. Nobody told the patients (all adolescents of ages 14-18) that a new stat sedative was being used, but over the course of several weeks I saw a sea change in the ward. Before lorazepam we'd have one or two incidents a week, usually with the same patients (about 25% of the total population). About 3 weeks into the lorazepam experiment, we'd have several incidents per day, and only about 10% of the patients refrained from outbursts.

Those who've worked at an inpatient facility will know what I mean. The staff would be lounging in the nurses' station when all of a sudden we'd hear saurian noises from some corner of the facility. Then the whole drill of all of us surrounding the possessed while one of the psychologists would attempt to talk him out of pulverizing the television set with the water fountain he'd just ripped out of the wall. The talking approach would often work during the haloperidol era, but it became absolutely futile when we started using the lorazepam.

Again, nobody told the patients we'd switched from haloperidol to lorazepam. Yet they'd sacrifice all their privileges and fracture their own bones to get the shot. I think the best answer to your question is that it just causes reward-seeking behavior, regardless of what hellish maze the rodent has to navigate.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. But I thought the thread was more about getting ''high'' on benzos which, imo, is not suited advanced drug discussion.

Personally benzos make me act like I'm a drunkard, even though i dont feel that why (most of the time I don't know what I feel because it's a blackout). Benzos usually mean trouble and nothing else for me. They only fun if combined with opiates or like dxm or when coming down from ecstasy.

From my experience they're used to block out during bad times when abused- a lot like alcohol can be used, or help WDs I don't see the attraction if you don't have crap to deal with as other things are much more fun

My primary intention on this post was to determine why people get high on BZDs and the chemical basis behind it since GABA receptors are known to have downing effects. Therefore suitable for advanced drug discussion. :)

Many drugs with GABAergic and anxiolytic properties are used as recreational drugs.

While most benzos are not especially "euphoric", the anxiolytic effect may be considered euphoric. The only benzos that give me a "high" or produce euphoria are the triazolobenzodiazepines (xanax, halcion etc). The nitrobenzos are also considered euphoric by some (rohypnol, klonopin etc)....

The nitro- family indeed seems very popular, clonazepam is very popular across the pond from what I hear, and nitrazepam is a favourite in the UK.

Yeah, I think Librium is more lower potency, so I think even taking a lot of them to get high would be no good. Xanax and Ativan I know are pretty potent, so I would think they would give more of a high than Valium or Librium.

Potency has absolutely nothing to do with recreational potential.

LSD is 10000 times more potent than Mescaline yet they are both equally recreational, and in fact some people argue that the latter is even better.

Very true, fentanyl is far more potent than morphine but nowhere near as good.

Yes that typically holds true. Temazepam is one of the least potent benzos, but is considered to be very recreational by some. Lorazepam, is technically very potent, but orally has very little recreational value (when used non-parenterally).

And yes, mescaline is for me, more "recreational" than LSD (by a good measure)......

Last edited:

LSD is 10000 times more potent than Mescaline yet they are both equally recreational, and in fact some people argue that the latter is even better.

I don't know whether it's fair to say 'nothing'. Given two drugs prepared in absolutely (as opposed to proportionally) equal quantities, drug A and drug B, both of which have identical pharmacodynamics but for their potency, where drug A is more potent than B by a factor of X, where X>1 && X<~1000, drug A will possibly or even probably have a greater recreational value than drug B on account of its superior potency - simply because you can get higher or high more times.

And, um, mescaline is taken is much larger doses than LSD, I do believe. Try taking them in exactly equal amounts and see whether you prefer it or like it as much as LSD.

^Do you mean take 100 mics of mescaline? Or 300mg of acid? Either way, I don't see how it's relevant. Alcohol is incredibly popular and you have to ingest loads of it. Saying you can "get high more times" assumes that all drugs cost the same per weight, which is blatantly untrue.

Mathematically, potency can't be related to efficacy unless you consider both w/r/t receptor density. Even if you assume infinite receptor density, there are qualitative dimensions to efficacy that have nothing to do with potency. I'm on Xanax at the moment so this may be gibberish.

Edit: Sorry, I have no idea what I was trying to say here. "Infinite receptor density" is absurd.

Last edited:
LSd in the smallest concentrations applied to human subjects produce the most pronounced psychedelic state in humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.