Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS 25/10/09 Medical researchers turning on, tuning in to psychedelics

psycosynthesis

Bluelighter
DENIS CAMPBELL
October 25, 2009

Flashback: The late Timothy Leary, a ’60s counterculture guru who saw LSD as having therapeutic and spiritual benefits. Photo: AP
As its use grows, LSD is being reassessed as a therapeutic drug.

AN INCREASING number of Britons are taking LSD and other psychedelic drugs to help them cope with conditions including anorexia nervosa, cluster headaches and chronic anxiety attacks.

The emergence of a community that passes the drugs between users on the basis of friendship, support and need - with money rarely involved - comes amid a resurgence of research into the possible therapeutic benefits of psychedelics.

This is leading to a growing optimism among those using the drugs that soon they may be able to obtain medicines based on psychedelics from their GP, rather than risk jail.

Among those in Britain already using the drugs and hoping for a change in the way they are viewed is Anna Jones (not her real name), a 35-year-old university lecturer, who takes LSD once or twice a year.

She fears that without an occasional dose she will go back to the drinking problem she left behind 14 years ago with the help of the banned drug.

LSD, the drug synonymous with the 1960s counterculture, changed her life in a day, she says. ''For me it was the catalyst to give up destructive behaviour - heavy drinking and smoking. As a student I used to drink two or three bottles of wine, two or three days a week, because I didn't have many friends and didn't feel comfortable in my own skin. Then I took a hit of LSD one day and didn't feel alone any more. It helped me to see myself differently, increase my self-confidence, lose my desire to drink or smoke and just feel at one with the world.''

Many others are using the drugs to deal with chronic anxiety attacks brought on by terminal illness such as cancer.

Research was carried out in the 1950s and 1960s into psychedelics. In some places they were even used as a treatment for anxiety, depression and addiction. But a backlash against LSD - owing to concerns that the powerful hallucinogen was becoming widespread as a recreational drug, and fear that excessive use could trigger mental health conditions such as schizophrenia - led to prohibition of research in the 1970s.

Under Britain's Misuse of Drugs Act it is classified as a Class A, schedule 1 substance, which means not only is LSD considered highly dangerous but it is deemed to have no medical research value.

Now, though, distinguished academics and highly respected institutions are looking again at whether LSD and other psychedelics might help patients.

Psychiatrist Dr John Halpern, of Harvard Medical School in the US, found that almost all of 53 people with cluster headaches who illegally took LSD or psilocybin, the active compound in magic mushrooms, obtained relief from the searing pain. He and an international team have also begun investigating whether 2-Bromo-LSD, a non-psychedelic version of LSD known as BOL, can help ease the condition.

Studies into how the drug may be helping such people are also being carried out in Britain. Amanda Feilding is the director of the Oxford-based Beckley Foundation, a charitable trust that investigates consciousness, its altered states and the effects of psychedelics and meditation. She is a key figure in the revival of scientific interest in psychedelics and expresses her excitement about the initial findings of two studies with which her foundation is heavily involved.

''LSD is a potentially very valuable substance for human health and happiness,'' she said.

In a Swiss trial, the drug is given alongside psychotherapy to people who have a terminal condition to help them cope with profound anxiety. A trial in the US is examining whether psilocybin can aid psychotherapy for those with substance addiction.

Professor Colin Blakemore, a former chief executive of the UK Medical Research Council, said the class-A status of psychedelics should not stop them being explored as potential therapies.

A Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency spokeswoman said: ''These products, if approved, are likely to be classified as a prescription-only medicine and also likely to remain on the dangerous-drug list, which means that their supply would be strictly controlled.''

GUARDIAN

The experience
Douglas

FROM the age of eight I suffered frequent and severe headaches, usually three or four a week, which caused acute pain and interfered with work and games.

I first tried 200 micrograms of LSD in 1970. I had no headaches for three weeks. I then had another headache, though not as severe as usual, and the next day took another 200 micrograms. This time the headaches disappeared for six months. After that, whenever I had a bad headache I took a dose of LSD, usually 100 micrograms. My headaches have since become very rare, perhaps one or two a year.

Philip

FIVE years ago I had just finished my third chemotherapy session for leukaemia, which was the worst experience of my life. I didn't eat for 21 days, my weight dropped to eight stone and I was bald. I took acid at a party. I wasn't in remission, so I shouldn't have taken it, but it was an amazing experience.

It made me euphoric. I'm not religious but I had a wonderful experience, like angels coming over the walls and white clouds out of a blue sky. I thought, ''I've got to live''; it gave me the will to carry on. It gave me the strength that I could do it.

GUARDIAN

The Age, 25/10/09

Ever since i touched psychedelics i get extreme anxiety even when im sober. I agree with the other things tho.

Yeah LSD introduced me to paranoia and anxiety.

But I still believe it has changed my life for the better.

It has changed my life in a better way too.

I feel more confident. I used to be depressed for no reason helped that too. Can see things in a dif way. Saw myself from another persons perspective and i fixed the problems i had. I appreciate nature way way more. Beautiful landscape pics fascinate me even when im sober.
I started loving dif types of music (chillout, ambient, psychill, psytrance etc etc)
The list would go on forever.

I'd have to agree. LSD has honestly changed my life not so much straight away but with time. I've been able to look at my mind differently and piece it together to my desire and come away from it being a better person. I used to get extremely angry at minor misdemeanors and now I can just look at it all differently and take a different path instead of using anger to solve my problems. With respect to Sustanon I agree as well, nature can just be so beautiful, I'm also a lot more aware about its sustainability now :)

Yeah I developed a case of anxiety too after a particularly difficult, ego-splintering experience one late summer's night.

Thankfully a few months later I had one of those omgwtfIunderstandeverythingbutforgetitthenextmorning trips which made me realise the potential inherent in the compound, myself and humanity as a whole. Anxiety soon dissipated after that...

Glad to see that the establishment is catching up from where it went wrong all those decades ago.

^yeah it's amazing how it only ever makes sense when you're up there.... :(

I reckon I'm different for trying MDMA, definitely, but acid not quite as much... Perhaps it would have done if I'd written all my thoughts down at some stage, lol. It's definitely associated with some of the most fun drug-related experienced I've had. I'd probably rank it equally with K and mushies in terms of consciousness-altering effects. It's just fun to get that mad visual trip happening :D Have always had pills with LSD, not sure if that would alter my view of it.
Bit of a stress-head in day to day life anyway, thankfully haven't got any adverse effects from taking it =D be interesting to see what this research shows.

^yeah it's amazing how it only ever makes sense when you're up there.... :(

I found my first trip very confronting, made me realise a lot of things about myself, found it very soul searching and put me on the path to take more ;)

LSD and DXM even pulled me from my depression! Changed me completely for the good and every trip just makes me better!! Gave up on the DXM though because of it's negative side effects!

I think I was born too do Psychedelics hehehe!

What a wonderfulling refreshing article; good work Guardian and Mr. Campbell!

Honestly I never found LSD that amazing. I had some fun trips, and some not so fun trips, but none of the profound insights or terrifying existential crises you so often hear about. It did bring me to some interesting conclusions (one trip, in particular, effectively ended a relationship when it made me realise that the person I was with simply wasn't the individual I had thought them to be), but on the whole I found it a little underwhelming compared to the life changing experiences people describe.

Honestly I never found LSD that amazing. I had some fun trips, and some not so fun trips, but none of the profound insights or terrifying existential crises you so often hear about. It did bring me to some interesting conclusions (one trip, in particular, effectively ended a relationship when it made me realise that the person I was with simply wasn't the individual I had thought them to be), but on the whole I found it a little underwhelming compared to the life changing experiences people describe.

if you don't have staph, there's no need for amoxicillin

:) charmed life is charmed

every time i have taken lsd i have learnt something
yeah its helped my views and even guided me through every day decisions

ahhh good times

<3<3Acid rulez, its my fav thing<3<3

No other drug has made me feel so great afterwards other than shrooms n acid.

hope the research goes well :) LSD really does have EXTREMELY great potential, however it can be quite unpredictable so ide be very interested to know the results in long term experiments

interestingly, LSD+cannabis introduced me to anxiety in february of this year, but a few GREAT trips since have made the anxiety all but dissapear.. funny how that happens

interestingly, LSD+cannabis introduced me to anxiety in february of this year, but a few GREAT trips since have made the anxiety all but dissapear.. funny how that happens

Everything is subject to the mind. We learn through experience, and we react to situations based off this collective experience as a whole, so no doubt a traumatic or uncomfortable 'trip' can bring out anxiety in general in people, just as an enlightening beautiful trip can swing it the other way.

I was hit by a motorcycle 3 1/2 months ago while crossing the road, no major injuries but the sudden impact and unpredictability of it has left me feeling anxious whenever crossing roads now, whereas before i was more calm.