• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opoiates/opioids as legitimate anxiolytics?

suessmayr

Bluelighter
It is plain that any opium derived product will to some degree 'calm a person down' - but I'm wondering whether, to an opioid-naive-person, an opioid would be an appropriate thing to take for, say, a panic-attack.

I am on 23mg suboxone, but my girlfriend has never drugged in her life (apart from ecstasy on 3 occassions, at my behest). She called me some time ago whilst having a severe panic attack with the usual symptoms, fear, restlessness etc...

At the time I advised that she take one or several of the panadeine forte tablets she had with her (keeping in mind the toxicity of paracetamol/acetominophen). She refused, probably sensibly, given that the tablets were prescribed to her for pain. But to me it just seemed commonsensical that she should have taken them...opium having been used for centuries to calm children, etc, that sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure that opiates are not indicated for anxiety - what do you guys think/know?

S

while opiods do have legitimate anxiolytic properties actually prescribed Opes for anxiety is a whole nother ballpark n i suspect you will find no one willing to prescribe you Opiates or anxiety especially since you are on Bupe maintenance which i suspect is because of a previous opiate addiction

but if you just want to expirment giving opes to your girl for anxiety purposes it will likely work but remember, she might like opiates alot n then that is the prob of using Opes for anxiety you have a smallish problem that you use a powerful drug to solve, however using benzos is sorta the same thing but anyways you get the drift

opiates used to calm children , which parents still do and i think its a terrible thing to do... its used to calm them, yes, but its just to make them tired so they dont cry...

but yes it could be used as an anxiolytic but no Dr. in there right mind would prescribe that... do u know how many pills there are for that... theres benzos which is the usual route, but then there are non-narcotic pills, then there are other pills that could help, then theres other pills that are meant for something else that might help, then theres another pill called oxycontin that can help , NAATTTT!!! U WISH!..... so if allllllllll those pills dont work, if exercising doesnt help, then maybe a doctor who trusts u and u have known them for 10 years, then they would maybe but most likely not prescribe u some low dose of codeine....

plus, actually u would need a higher dose than say a pain patient who takes 5mgs every 4-6 hours... u would need to start out at about 10mgs as needed and it would just send ur tolerance sky rocketed and addiction is VERY easy to come by with this situation...

think about it

u go from a panic attack, fear, scared, heart racing, hallucinations, racing thoughts - to - euphoria, socialable, extacy, u get the picture.... this pill would be ur life.... addiction potential IMO is about 90% from IMO a pain patient is probably 50/50 (50%)

worrrrrd

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and I can say without a doubt that opiates are an amazing anxiolytic.

Oxycodone in particular not only removes my anxiety but it gives and an amazing sense of motivation and of course euphoria. With benzos, while I am also completely anxiety free, I'm much more apathetic and less likely to do anything. Opiates make me proactive.

But like has been said doctors would be very very reluctant to try this, and for good reason from the abuse potential.

For anxiety I've been scripted various SSRIs (didn't work, stopped using them), alprazolam (xanax), diazepam (valium) and temazepam. None of these are good long-term options.

Its been years and I'm still trying to get a handle on my anxiety and figure out whats wrong with my messed up head. Its a long process trying to sort shit like this out.

youre asking a question that has been disputed for hundreds of years regarding the legality, pros vs cons ect of having opiates more often prescribed (for something other than pain).

You think anyone on this board has an answer to your question? or are you just looking to validate your own opinion that they are?

they sure work, but cause trouble in the long run.

opiates used to calm children , which parents still do and i think its a terrible thing to do... its used to calm them, yes, but its just to make them tired so they dont cry...

How do u know it just makes them tired and not actually makes them more relaxed. Opiates are one of the least damaging drugs to the body. I am not disagreeing with you but just want to know how u know what u said. Parent's give their kids all sort of nasty shit in the form of processed foods, along with the nasty environmental chemicals...I see a small dose of opiates as not as bad as all that other crap.

gotta say that as bad as it sounds opiates (dope in my case) are the best anxiolytics there are. They are horribly addictive if used all the time (just like benzos) but they do get the job done.

After a month of not having any, a shot of dope relaxed me more than any other substance could come close to. Not saying it's good, but that it works by making me relaxed and anxiety/worry free and not by making me tired. I feel full of energy. Cleaned by entire house, painted my cabinets and did it all with a smile on my face (rare happening). I was happy hyper.

But then, all substances that really help with anxiety are addictive IME. Diet, exercise and therapy are the only non addictive things that might help anxiety.

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and I can say without a doubt that opiates are an amazing anxiolytic.

Oxycodone in particular not only removes my anxiety but it gives and an amazing sense of motivation and of course euphoria. With benzos, while I am also completely anxiety free, I'm much more apathetic and less likely to do anything. Opiates make me proactive.

But like has been said doctors would be very very reluctant to try this, and for good reason from the abuse potential.

For anxiety I've been scripted various SSRIs (didn't work, stopped using them), alprazolam (xanax), diazepam (valium) and temazepam. None of these are good long-term options.

Its been years and I'm still trying to get a handle on my anxiety and figure out whats wrong with my messed up head. Its a long process trying to sort shit like this out.
That's exactly how I feel. But you can reach a point where you are using opiates and benzos to a smaller degree just to feel normal.

When my friend came back from visiting family in Afghanistan he told me that mothers over there would blow heroin smoke in the faces of their children to calm them down/stop them from crying.
What a horrible thing to do :(

That's exactly how I feel. But you can reach a point where you are using opiates and benzos to a smaller degree just to feel normal.

It's exactly how i feel too but, I've never heard that you can reach a point where you are using opiates to a smaller degree.
I mean everyone says the longer you use opiates, the more you need. <-- i'de love to find out that isn't true!

I've tried every drug, every anti-depressant, every blood test to find out what my problem can be. No answers. The only thing that straightens my head out is opioids.

I need to know what you mean when you say you reach a point where you are using opiates 'to a smaller degree just to feel normal'. Hundreds of times, i have snorted a small amount of percocet: http://www.drugs.com/imprints/a-215-8234.html in the morning.. Just 6 or 7 mg once in the morning to feel 'normal' and get shit done all day.

So as far as reaching that point that you mentioned,
could it be done with this drug?
used like i said, once a day?
how long would it take you to reach this point if the plan was to use it once-a-day, everyday?

Last edited:
They don't have legit anxiolytic effects in terms of how benzodiazepines reduce anxiety, I'd imagine they reduce anxiety as a function of their sedative and euphoric effects. The endogenous opioid receptors are critical in approach/avoidance behavior so I'd imagine there is some correlation there as well.

They don't have legit anxiolytic effects in terms of how benzodiazepines reduce anxiety, I'd imagine they reduce anxiety as a function of their sedative and euphoric effects. The endogenous opioid receptors are critical in approach/avoidance behavior so I'd imagine there is some correlation there as well.

I think there are some opiates that tend to have anxiolytic effects, like buprenorphine. Most full agonist opiates may have anxiolytic effects due to sedation/euphoria as you suggested.