• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Kratom - What is it Good For?

Kratom

Greenlighter
So I'm asking this across a few forums, apologies if you read it already or if I am somehow breaking the rules (seem to upset moderators an awful lot - only trying to spread the love 8))
If you use Kratom is it just for recreation or is it for medicinal use? And does it work for you? Have you tried it and thought it was lousy? Just trying to get a picture of what people think. :)
Oh Yeah and if you are a moderator and I upset you somehow in the past I am truly sorry. <3

if you want to get a picture of what people think, you could try using the search engine. there are tons of kratom threads in basic drug discussion, quite a few in other drugs, and trip reports will give you access to first hand accounts of people's experiences. be sure to check the trip reports archive as well as the active threads for the greatest number of kratom reviews.

at any rate here is a cross-post of my experience from about a year ago, slightly edited:

i actually tried kratom a few weeks ago but i haven't had a chance to post about it until now. i ordered the 10 gram (ahem) sampler online [snip]. from what i read, there are different types of kratom that come from different leaves in various regions (thai, malaysian, indonesian, etc.). the one i ordered, bali kratom, is supposedly one of the stronger varieties.

based on what i read [online], and also based on my non-existant tolerance for opiates, i decided to start out with a small threshold dose. i eyeballed about a third of my 10 gram bag of powder and dumped it into a plastic cup of water that was mixed with some green superfood powder. if you've ever had the green superfood odwalla drink, it was almost identical to that. i thought it would help mask the reportedly gross taste, and i could mentally blame any "planty" flavor on the superfood. plus both powders are green so it was pretty

i drank the mixture while walking to [a park] with some friends. the park is only a few blocks away from where i was staying, so the drink went down quickly. the first thing i noticed was an absence of the horribly foul taste that was described in so many reviews. it wasn't even nasty. i was a little bit surprised.

i waited it out for a while and nothing happened for so long that i forgot i had even consumed the powder. at least an hour went by, maybe even two. nothing really happened. i smoked a little bit of weed around this time, and once i got home i thought there *might* have been a tiny bit of something going on, but honestly it was probably just the weed. i decided i had been too conservative with my dose and that i'd just do the rest of the bag next time.

i think i elected to hit the rest of the powder (~6+ grams) a couple of days later. the same mixture (kratom, water, superfood powder) was used. i pounded the drink and then started some laundry. by the time i was ready to put the clothes in the dryer, my hands were shaking. i was definitely feeling the stimulant effects. unfortunately the stimulant side of kratom was not what i was looking forward to - i was hoping for more of the chilled out opiate properties of the drug. i mostly avoid stimulants (i don't even drink caffeine) but i've done a bit of coke, and kratom gave me kind of a similar shaky/antsy/maladjusted feeling.

i waited for the shakes to give way to some type of warm contentment but it never happened. i guess i did get a little bit of a body buzz for an hour or so, but it wore off and the shakes persisted. many hours later, i was in the east bay smoking joints with some friends and my hands were still shaking when i was passing the joint even though i wasn't otherwise feeling anything from the kratom. it was actually kind of annoying.

there are a few possible explanations for my lukewarm review:

- kratom has too much of a stimulant effect for me to enjoy it.
- i got some low quality (weak) powder. maybe this would explain why it didn't taste like much?
- i didn't dose correctly.

in any event, i don't really see myself spending any money on kratom again. i'd probably give it 2 stars out of 10, entrenching it firmly into the "meh" category.

its like an opiate. but I'm sure you already know that...

:D

Aside from more popular uses, kratom leaves have traditionally been employed here as wound treatment and for parasite removal.

The leaves are heated and applied to the skin as a poultice.

seem to upset moderators an awful lot <3

I wonder if it because your advertising on the site - selling an illegal product (in some countries) leaving links to sources etc.

Are you spreading the love or cashing in?