• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 30.9.09 - Sydney boat crash survivor's ice drug hell

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Sydney boat crash survivor's ice drug hell

* By Lisa Davies
* September 30, 2009 12:00AM

939924-thanawat-chudtalay.jpg

HE lost his best mate in the worst boating tragedy on Sydney Harbour, barely escaping with his own life.

The trauma of surviving the crash that killed the man he called "brother" and five other friends left Thanawat Chudtalay's life in tatters.

Chudtalay was arrested and charged last month with the possession of more than 100g of the illegal drug that bears his nickname - ice.

He was also charged with four counts of supplying a prohibited drug.

The 24-year-old is now in drug and alcohol rehabilitation following what a psychologist identified as post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by the horrific night in May 2008.

Chudtalay was one of 14 friends who piled on to a small runabout after a night out in Balmain for a short trip across the Harbour.

They were on their way back to the house near the Balmain wharf shared by Chudtalay, his best mate Alex "Pondi" Nikakis and another survivor, Michael Tsimnadis, when the boat collided with a trawler.

Five people were killed instantly, while Mr Nikakis died from massive head injuries some hours later.

Chudtalay spoke to his best friend in the seconds after the violent collision at 2.45am, asking him if he was OK.

The barman had answered "yeah" before slipping into unconsciousness and did not awake.

Chudtalay's heartache at his mate's death was first noted in a tribute on Facebook: "RIP my brother, me and you will never be apart. I love you, have a lot of fun in your next (life) R.I.P."

Since then, however, Chudtalay had been unable to get his life on track.

A psychologist's report written since his arrest on August 10 revealed that he was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.

Court papers revealed Strike Force Billarong was set up to investigate the alleged drug activities of Chudtalay and another man, with the pair under police surveillance from mid-June.

Chudtalay's mobile phone and SMS messages were monitored, capturing him making arrangements to sell ice and cocaine, a court heard.

The last transaction, at the Surry Hills bar Triple Ace, took place on the day Chudtalay was arrested, allegedly selling an "8-ball" of ice - approximately 3.5g - for $1200.

Police allege that when they arrested him at his home in Cathedral St he had $1000 in his possession, the proceeds of this drug transaction.

Chudtalay was granted bail by consent in Sydney's Central Local Court on Monday. Magistrate Allan Moore released him into the custody of solicitor Alexander Harmstorf to go to Odyssey House for rehabilitation. The case returns to court next month.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...rs-ice-drug-hell/story-e6freuy9-1225780940496

no merit in this when considering leiniency just because he was involved in a publicised effect that gave him PTS

id be wrong if he just lieniency just because he was involved in a publiced accident that gave him PTS. How does one rate someone's PTS as greater than the other?

He will get off because of that event and now that this has been thrown in the news for sympathy ..

Just remember using any excuse of bad events that happened to you in your past can always help in a court situation ..

yes... three and a half grams of anything is an eight-ball (1/8 oz)...
generally speaking

wonder if the cops had their eye on him before the accident?

So he got off with 100g ice? All my sympathy towards him n his loss but still thats no excuse. Personal amount is ok but not that big quantity.

Awesome, if I ever get caught with drugs, I'll just whine about my traumatic past to the media till they go easy on me!

yes... three and a half grams of anything is an eight-ball (1/8 oz)...
generally speaking

wonder if the cops had their eye on him before the accident?

Do u guys still use that term? LOL i hate it so much when some says ounce or pounds or stones, so bloody annoying. The normal metric system is heaps better.

yerp... grams, eightballs, quarters, 1/2 then whole oz etc... the only time I hear the world lb tossed around is in the context of choof, lol, but even then it bears no relevance to me.

interesting that he got bail with 100grams. must be first offence etc. doubt he will get off without a trafficking conviction though, sounds like he was sprung plain as day from what the article says.

I don't think they can be too lenient with 100 grams of ice that they can prove he was selling. Its one thing to say he is a user but to be pushing ice he is fucked I reckon.

^^^^ yep, especially with the stance being taken by the government now

So he got off with 100g ice? All my sympathy towards him n his loss but still thats no excuse. Personal amount is ok but not that big quantity.

How are people supposed to get their "personal amounts"? In your eyes, anyone involved in the game above the end-consumer is immoral?

Saw this in the paper

As if he wasn't already a fucking tweaking ICE dealer

Looks like the dudes who hang at Bubble LMAO

Sympathy sucker

Accidents happen and people die

Dealing meth is no accident

What a cop out