• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is it healthier to eat unhealthy or not eat at all?

dragonslayer428

Bluelighter
Here is a question I have:

Let's say you had to choose to eat a meal (let's say dinner) that was full of unhealthy fats etc or not eat at all, what would you do? Is it healthier to skip a meal if the meal available is unhealthy? Or are you better off eating it?

My opinion is that it is better to skip a meal than to eat one that would be bad for you. For instance, if there was no food in the house (hypothetical) and someone said they were running to McDonalds for burgers and fries. I would choose to skip the meal because I believe the liver and other organs would appreciate the rest it gets from not eating that crap, rather than clogging yourself with such a meal.

I know I didn't explain it the best way, but you get the idea. What is your opinion?

Studies show that eating a more fattening meal once, maybe twice a week while still maintaining a regular healthy eating style and exercise can actually help you lose weight. (confuses your metabolism into remaining at higher rates). I'd say go for it so long as it isn't an everyday thing.

I reckon your body appreciates a less healthier meal than total abstience.

My brother used to be tiny and is now gaining hard on me, yet his diet lacks any fruit/veg or meat etc. His diet mainly consists of pizza,chips,spaghetti,peanut butter on toast etc...

Me on the other hand trys to eat pretty well, but often skips alot of meals... especially when doing drugs, on those comedowns where you're stomaches growling for food but you just cant eat nowt given the option of a Maccies or starvation I reckon your body is gonna appreciate whatever it can get.

Thats just my personal experiance anyway, and understand your question wasn't really drug focussed.

Obviously some nutrition is better than none... Unhealthy foods like mcdonalds only become an issue when eaten regularly...
But if you're someone who is on a reduced calorie diet it's a different story.

For instance, if there was no food in the house (hypothetical) and someone said they were running to McDonalds for burgers and fries. I would choose to skip the meal because I believe the liver and other organs would appreciate the rest it gets from not eating that crap, rather than clogging yourself with such a meal.

i see what you are saying, but if that's the situation i was faced with i would tell whoever was going to mcdonalds to bring me back a salad.

(actually i would be fine with fried food, but that's me)

It depends entirely on what the rest of your diet looks like.

If you're eating junk for the rest of the day already, then I'd say skip that meal.. unless you're getting almost no calories as it is.

But yeah, Mcdonalds does have *healtheir* alternatives.
Get a grilled chicken sandwich, hold the mayo. And a fruit cup instead of fries. With a water or a diet drink.
Water is preferable.

Interesting takes! Thanks for all your input. I eat healthy almost all the time. Unfortunately, I don't eat 3 meals a day. Does anyone know the benefits of fasting? Does it really help flush out your system?

I feel like crap when I eat unhealthy but I feel so much worse if I go without eating at all so I would think that eating a crappy meal would probably still be better than nothing at all, it does have a lot of crap but it at least has some good stuff in there your body can use. I would think that's better than causing your body to start breaking into your reserves and depleating it of nutrients.

yah I can't go without something at all. Most places offer a healthy alternative nowadays, but I know what you mean.

I think it becomes more of an issue when you're eating over at someone else's house, and they've prepared a rather unhealthy meal. It would be rude to not eat their food, so you just have to chalk it up as a situation you have no control over and cheat away.

Counteract this by eating as healthy as possible when you are able determine what you prepare/order for each meal, which is most of the time anyway.

Eat rather than don't. Whilst dieting keeping your metabolism up is the most important.

I would eat heavy fat but not trans fat. I would rather not eat than eat super junky and artificial food-- that's not the same as buttery, cheesy, heavy stuff.

I am still not confident that the body can deal with these artificial additives in a manner that is acceptable to me.

haha, i'd choose unhealthy over nothing . . but i often choose unhealthy over healthy, so that doesn't say a whole lot.

Studies show that eating a more fattening meal once, maybe twice a week while still maintaining a regular healthy eating style and exercise can actually help you lose weight. (confuses your metabolism into remaining at higher rates).

The OP wasn't about what will help you lose weight, but which is healthier. Given that there are observable physiological changes from a single fatty meal, I'd say it's better to abstain than eat crap. Your body is well adapted to go for periods of time without food, but not well adapted to cope with the damage incurred by eating junk. It's a negative effect versus a neutral effect. Plus, there is some evidence that fasting can actually be beneficial.

If I was in a situation where I was starving, and all I had was fast food, of course I'd eat the fast food. This however is a pretty ridiculous scenario however because you can go to the grocery store and buy oat meal, tofu, oil, and veggies for the same price (or cheaper) than fast food.

I'm with Dtergent on the avoidance of preservatives and artificial food additives. However, there are safe enough to make it to market..which says something.....

meh, I'm in Iraq and as far as eating healthy gos I try but there aint shit out here thats not in all likeyhood loaded with preservatives and other shit, even the stuff you would assume to be healthy just doesn't taste quite right. probably why I can't get below %15 bf but its better to eat than starve.

Hunger doesn't really tell you that your body needs more fuel. It just shows you you haven't put things in your stomach for a while.
In that sense being hungry/starving is not a problem at all. You can live all your life on raw goat milk only.

I'm quite underweight, but I'd definitely go for skipping a meal instead of eating shit that would pump me with artificial estrogen or put more strain on my liver/kidneys. I'm voluntarily taking enough chemicals in my system as it is.

smoking and junk food is what kills us so young guyz. also feeling sad and anxious too long for too unimportant shit

Studies show that eating a more fattening meal once, maybe twice a week while still maintaining a regular healthy eating style and exercise can actually help you lose weight. (confuses your metabolism into remaining at higher rates). I'd say go for it so long as it isn't an everyday thing.

This is an interesting point though I would still generally say it was probably better to skip an unhealthy meal, especially if it's full of nasty nitrates and over processed foods such as hot dogs, trans fats, etc. I don't always practice what I preach though ;)

I'm going slightly off on a tangent here, but I don't wanna start a new thread for a simple question so here goes:

I've cut the booze & started weight training recently, and wanna try and maximize my bodies' Testosterone production (I'm a guy) so I've started taking plenty vitamins. These include

B vits, Fish oil capules, Zinc tablets & mulit-vits.

On all these bottles it says you should take with a meal, so I end up swallowing a handful of pills after breakfast.

Is it wise to take a handful of different pills at the same time, or will they be more effective if I take a couple after breakfast, a couple after lunch and then a couple after dinner?

Sorry to derail the thread somewhat. :\

i do agree with this, in theory. but, in reference to what the OP mentioned, if there was absolutely no food at the house and my friend was running to McDonald's I would probably pass anyway. gross!

I'm going slightly off on a tangent here, but I don't wanna start a new thread for a simple question so here goes:

I've cut the booze & started weight training recently, and wanna try and maximize my bodies' Testosterone production (I'm a guy) so I've started taking plenty vitamins. These include

B vits, Fish oil capules, Zinc tablets & mulit-vits.

On all these bottles it says you should take with a meal, so I end up swallowing a handful of pills after breakfast.

Is it wise to take a handful of different pills at the same time, or will they be more effective if I take a couple after breakfast, a couple after lunch and then a couple after dinner?

Sorry to derail the thread somewhat. :\

I think it doesn't matter if you take them all at once, but it would be a lot easier for your stomach to digest if you do a couple at breakfast, a couple at lunch, a couple at dinner. Plus the vitamins will be more evenly distributed to your body throughout the day.