• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 29.9.09 - Health risk in a Giggle pill that can kill

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Health risk in a Giggle pill that can kill

* By Gemma Jones and Janelle Miles
* September 29, 2009 12:00AM

607456-giggle-pills.jpg

THEY are called "Giggle" - but these pills are anything but a laughing matter with a man hospitalised after taking just one of the latest over-the-counter highs that packs the punch of 20 coffees.

The Federal Government is urgently investigating the caffeine-laced pills being legally sold in Sydney shops after the 19-year-old Queensland man was rushed to hospital on Saturday with dizziness and a heart rate of 166 beats a minute - double what is normal.

Police have seized the pills from a Queensland shop and the Therapeutic Goods Administration is investigating the herbal concoctions containing the high caffeine plant guarana.

The Daily Telegraph found Giggle pills for sale at the (Censored) Sydney, along with "Hypnotic pills" which are advertised as causing a "state of trance" and an "ecstasy like sensation over and over again."

Packets of three Giggle pills, made by New Zealand company named Light Years, were on sale for $XX.XX.

Royal Brisbane Hospital emergency medicine director Alan O'Connor said ingesting one Giggle pill was the equivalent of drinking 20 cups of coffee in one hit.

Emergency Medicine Queensland chairman David Rosengren described the pills as a "significant health risk". "It's not uncommon for us to see people coming in with symptoms of excessive caffeine ingestion and irregular palpitations, heart arrythmias," he said.

Sydney drugs campaigner Tony Wood whose daughter Anna died, aged 15, after taking ecstasy in 1995 said the marketing of the pills was disgusting. "It is a marketing ploy and they are going to make money out of our kids. It is about time the Government stepped in," he said.

NSW Health has issued a warning about high caffeine products, saying they could cause increased breathing and heart rates, restlessness, anxiety, dizziness, headaches, lack of concentration, stomach pains and dehydration.

Jim Kouts, one of the owners of Off Ya Tree,, accused the Brisbane man of taking the wrong dosage of the pills which carry a warning that pregnant women and people with mental illnesses or high blood pressure should not take them.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ll-that-can-kill/story-e6freuy9-1225780616510

Last edited:
Theres also going to be a report on channel 10 news sydney at 5pm about these pills ...

Kingpin, did you end up catching the report? I forgot to watch it.

Yeah just had doctor saying they are high dose caffiene ... 20 hits in one pill ...

some bloke had to go hospital from taking 2 of them ...

interviewed some under 18's if they would take them etc etc ...

the logo on pill was a nice smiley face and for sure it could be flogged off in night clubs and you wouldnt know until you just get a caffiene buzz ... any legal high should not be in pill form and or have a logo that could be sold as ecstasy ..

I'm surprised the guy took two of them...From memory the packaging says take 1 max and half if you're under 60kg or female.

Interesting you bring the point up about them being flogged off in nightclubs, Kingpin. I was talking to one of the employees where those things are sold and he was saying he'd seen them being sold in nightclubs... I feel pretty sorry for the people who've ended up with them. :/

On another note, what did the U18s say?

^^^

" Oh yeah If I was 18 I might try them "

lol

they do ask for I.D. apparently when buying them .. and write that info down apparently from what I heard...

Hahaha... That's a real worry... Hearing them say that :/

Yea. I've bought something from where they sell the Giggle product. They do check for ID, and I don't think I look underage. I'm not sure if they wrote anything down though, but it was kinda comforting they checked ID.

I thought it was interesting they chose to interview U18s...

What a ridiculous product, you would think they would be creative enough to put some something other than caffeine in there.

I am surprised they can even legally make a product with the caffeine content of 20 coffees.

You have to laugh at the fact they provide all the information needed to go out and purchase these pills at the same time as demonising them. If they were so concerned about individuals consuming these pills then they could at least show some restraint in providing all the information required to make a purchase. :\

^ I wholeheartedly agree but the media never takes that view. For example the recent nitrous article probably gave a lot of people who were previously unaware of it the diea to go out and try it.

On channel 9 news they said the company refused to comment and they said are now being tested by the Therapeutic Products Authority to see exactly what is in them and how much caffiene.

they said these will probably end up being banned...

they also showed the diablo pills which had a devil on one side and a pitchfork on the other and also the Green giggles with the good smiley logo.Be warned of people selling these in clubs etc ...

If I didn't know about these and was offered some I would think they were the real thing.

They have basically said go here to this shop in sydney and you can buy them but as I said I.D. needed and a record of the sale written down.The shop is going to have alot of customers in the next few days.

Whoa how big are these pills that they are cramming 2g of caffeine into them? Surely it's a smaller amount of caffeine + other actives like DMAA as suggested in the other thread & what seems to be in the diablos?

Is it really fair to say they are "equivalent of drinking 20 cups of coffee in one hit" if it's not even known what the exact ingredients are? That said, I do kind of agree with the medico's stance if he's saying that as a scare tactic to dissuade users from taking several at a time. I mean they're obviously not safe...

kingpin007 said:
any legal high should not be in pill form and or have a logo that could be sold as ecstasy

I wholeheartedly agree. If the makers were genuinely concerned about where & how the products made their ways into the target consumers hands they would be a distinctive size/colour/print from typical pills.

Here is my opinion on the matter.
Firstly, ACA don't know a thing about them. Are there the equivalent of 20 cups of coffee really in them? I am pretty sure that the caffeine content might be a bit lower than that, and that there are some other active ingredients in them that produce a high.
So obviously there will be question about the other ingredients. I haven't tried the giggle pills but I have tried the Diablo's. I can happily give positive testament to them. They are produced with all natural ingredients, besides the caffeine, and are much safer than any illicit substance that a lot of kids are taking. I have used illicit drugs and I actually prefer the effects of these 'party pills'. They never make you feel like shit, as a lot of bad pills do, and they have no 'come down' effects.
So then a 19 kid ends up in hospital with an increased heart rate and we see it on the news. Fair call there is reason for concern here. But we never see any stories of the alcohol related admissions that would more than likely happen every weekend.
Now if these pills become illegal, what do you think will happen. I can tell you. All the people who have used them as an alternative to illicit drugs will want probably start taking speed of ecstasy. The reason these were produced was to curb the use of illicit substances.
In my opinion, I think rather than trying to outlaw them, they should be policed. Off ya tree is doing the right thing by taking details from people and checking for ID to ensure that they are not being abused.

^^^

Representative of Light Years or Off ya Tree store ??????

if yes then you should address yourself as so ....

The problem with these pills is they look like the real thing and are being sold in clubs as so but thanks to all the media coverage everyone knows exactly what these are now.

Alot of people have said these legal pills have made them feel sick which they don't get from illegal pills except the bzp pills of course ... so whats your answer to that ?

@Jaywalker.

Sorry mate, but no one is going to listen here. We love our drugs. And hate the legal alternatives.

There are easier people to convert.

Firstly, ACA don't know a thing about them. Are there the equivalent of 20 cups of coffee really in them? I am pretty sure that the caffeine content might be a bit lower than that, and that there are some other active ingredients in them that produce a high.
So obviously there will be question about the other ingredients. I haven't tried the giggle pills but I have tried the Diablo's. I can happily give positive testament to them. They are produced with all natural ingredients, besides the caffeine, and are much safer than any illicit substance that a lot of kids are taking. I have used illicit drugs and I actually prefer the effects of these 'party pills'. They never make you feel like shit, as a lot of bad pills do, and they have no 'come down' effects.
So then a 19 kid ends up in hospital with an increased heart rate and we see it on the news. Fair call there is reason for concern here. But we never see any stories of the alcohol related admissions that would more than likely happen every weekend.
Now if these pills become illegal, what do you think will happen. I can tell you. All the people who have used them as an alternative to illicit drugs will want probably start taking speed of ecstasy. The reason these were produced was to curb the use of illicit substances.
In my opinion, I think rather than trying to outlaw them, they should be policed. Off ya tree is doing the right thing by taking details from people and checking for ID to ensure that they are not being abused.

Fair enough, however, if you prefer your 'legal' party pills then so be it, but don't try and convert the most of us here that have also experienced illicit drugs and much prefer them to some bullshit party pills..

I'm gurning my face off right now and probably rambling :D

party safe :)

:p

My mate tried a whole bunch of different 'herbal highs' or 'party pills' and he said nothing compares to the real thing. I myself will never try this crap =D.