Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 29.9.09 - Illicit drug use stable except for ice: report

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Illicit drug use stable except for ice: report

September 29, 2009 - 8:50AM

Many Australian drug users have put their ice habit on ice, research shows.

Crystal methamphetamine, or ice, has been in reduced supply during 2009, according to research by the University of NSW's National Drug and Alcohol Research Council (NDARC).

It has seen some drug users opt for less supply constrained alternatives, particularly in NSW, says NDARC's chief investigator Dr Lucy Burns.

"There has been an increase in the use of cocaine and this has been reflected in the crime statistics," Dr Burns says.

"But this increase needs to be seen in the context of relatively small numbers compared with users of other illicit drugs being surveyed."

Dr Burns says, overall, the 2009 figures showed a continuation of the stabilisation of illicit drug use with one exception - ice.

Almost half (49 per cent) of Australian injecting drug users asked to report on their drug intake during a six month window in 2008 reported using ice.

This national usage rate dropped to 37 per cent this year.

In NSW, the figure fell from 69 per cent in 2008 to 46 per cent this year - the largest drop in ice usage since 2003. Ice use also fell steeply among regular ecstasy users - with just nine per cent of these drug users in NSW reporting its use compared to 33 per cent in 2008.

Nationally, this figure fell from 24 per cent to 15 per cent.

The drop-off in usage mirrored declining availability as, nationally, 35 per cent of injecting drug users reported difficulties finding ice.

Thirty per cent of regular ecstasy users also reported less availability while in NSW this figure was 44 per cent.

There was little increase in heroin users nationally though they reported hitting up more frequently, up from twice to three times a week.

The number of heroin users rose only in NSW, where frequency also increased from three times a week to every other day.

Ecstasy use was stable though users in NSW reported there was less available - with about half (52 per cent) saying it was "very easy" to obtain compared to 74 per cent in 2008.

The figures are preliminary statistics from the 2009 Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS) and the Ecstasy and related Drug Reporting System (EDRS).

"With these systems we can detect emerging market trends and this allows for governments, law enforcement and health workers to plan and implement effectively targeted policy to reduce drug-related harm throughout Australia," Dr Burns says.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...able-except-for-ice-report-20090929-g9hj.html

man, its no surprise that the overall usage of ice has declined, what with all the meth cooks moving on to much bigger and better things...

Wow, I wonder where these figures are coming from. I've been hearing the exact opposite from all my mates who are deep into the crystal.

No offence to any ice fans but i find it shit boring and then the come down is just shit, well that was apparently great base. So might be irrelevant.

Last edited:
Yep, I am part of the ex-shard lovers underground movement...

supply dwindling, quality dropping (although I understand it has increased in the past 5-ish months) & prices being jacked up aren't very inviting factors when it boils down to it.

thankfully speed has been a consistent alternative, which has not made my life feel anywhere near as draining as the shards did.

although quoting the injecting drug users stat is a bit of a moot point... with all the high quality, abundantly available heroin around, what reason would they have to go chasing ice?

Shards, base, speed...same fail drug, just different purities.
although quoting the injecting drug users stat is a bit of a moot point... with all the high quality, abundantly available heroin around, what reason would they have to go chasing ice?
I'd prefer a shot of ice over heroin anyday.

So would I, but the leap from heroin to ice in the first place can be largely attributed to the surge in availability, entailing lesser prices and higher purity.

couldn't be arsed starting a new thread. didn't think it was that important.

got ice for the first time last weekend, bought half a gram between two of us (the chick who sorted out the deal probably took half i reckon, so we'll say a quarter gram between two).

couldn't find any tin foil to smoke it, so we crushed it with a real little bit of water (no idea why?? this chick said it was the best way to crush it), after a while we racked it up.

the rush was fucking brilliant but i didn't get the euphoria that i thought you'd get, and then it starting wearing off after about 90 mins to 2 hours. after about 3 hours it was basically gone??

i thought it was supposed to keep you awake for heaps?? shit quality ice possibly (although the rush was brilliant)?? also what's the point of the water...??

couldn't be arsed starting a new thread. didn't think it was that important.

got ice for the first time last weekend, bought half a gram between two of us (the chick who sorted out the deal probably took half i reckon, so we'll say a quarter gram between two).

couldn't find any tin foil to smoke it, so we crushed it with a real little bit of water (no idea why?? this chick said it was the best way to crush it), after a while we racked it up.

the rush was fucking brilliant but i didn't get the euphoria that i thought you'd get, and then it starting wearing off after about 90 mins to 2 hours. after about 3 hours it was basically gone??

i thought it was supposed to keep you awake for heaps?? shit quality ice possibly (although the rush was brilliant)?? also what's the point of the water...??

You got ripped and i suggest you don't deal with that chick again

Why the hell did you let her take half of your drugs? Jesus.

That said, a lot of people find meth to be a fairly subtle or learned high. Back when I first started using I'd often dose and feel completely sober, it would only be after I looked back on my behaviour and the way I was acting at the time that I realised how twacked I was (fuck I love the word twacked, sums up the state of being off your tit on speed so perfectly, it's my new favourite piece of drug slang :p ). A friend of mine used to say he didn't even get high off meth and that all it did was keep him awake (didn't stop him from developing a fairly heavy habit though, I think he was mostly in denial).

That said, it also sounds like you were sold shitty gear. 1.25 points in a single line should have had a first timer bouncing off the walls for 5 hours or so.

Next time try a more trustworthy source, hopefully you'll end up with better product, and have someone teach you how to smoke it.

You got ripped and i suggest you don't deal with that chick again

Why the hell did you let her take half of your drugs? Jesus.

i knew we were getting ripped, but at 2am on a monday morning on the streets of mebourne beggars can't be choosers. we were out of our fucking minds at the time anyway and didn't really give a shit what was happening to be honest. just wanted to try something new... lol.

it would be suprising if i ever saw her again anyway.

That said, it also sounds like you were sold shitty gear. 1.25 points in a single line should have had a first timer bouncing off the walls for 5 hours or so.

yeah that's what i would've thought. i must say the buzz and rush was fucking intense though... and fun... i was definately fucked at the time and was well aware that everything was racing... felt like i'd just done about 10 lines of speed.... it just wore off much quicker than i thought.

we also bought some smack from her which have since racked and that was fine - about par for the course i'd say (i'm not new to hez but still inexperienced, 4th time)