• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 25/09/09 - Young people who dish out drugs to friends are 'drug traffickers'

modoq

Bluelighter
Young people who dish out drugs to friends are 'drug traffickers', say police

Matt Johnston | September 25, 2009 12:00AM

A GROWING number of young people risk being sent to jail as drug couriers by sharing illegal substances with friends, police say.

Police warn they will not accept ignorance as an excuse and will punish young people who think they can "lend" drugs to others by charging them with trafficking.

Meanwhile, the number of people entering the state's drug diversion program -- which provides education and counselling to people caught with small amounts of drugs for the first time -- has skyrocketed since the program was established in 2000, the Herald Sun can reveal.

Police say this shows that officers accept the program as a good way to stop people reoffending.

Drug experts have also backed the program.

Insp Andy Jay, from Victoria Police's drug and alcohol strategy unit, said police were serious about drug offenders, and diversion programs helped reduce reoffending.

The reoffending rate from program participants is 30 per cent -- much lower than for people who pass through the courts or jail.

Those who do not complete the diversion programs are charged.

But Insp Jay warned that young people who dish out drugs to friends could not enter the programs because they were effectively drug couriers.

"Exchanging or saying to friends `try some of mine' . . . is actually drug trafficking," he said.

"We would like people to have the knowledge of the very serious legal issues they face."

In 2007 the Howard government introduced federal laws to reduce access to diversion programs.

From 2000 to 2001, when the program began, about 130 people went through diversion programs. This grew to 850 in 2007-08.

Australian Drug Foundation chief executive John Rogerson said the program helped young people seek help and avoid a potentially crippling jail experience.

"They get in and start getting support to deal with the issues," Mr Rogerson said.

President of People Against Lenient Sentencing, Steve Medcraft, said dumping young people in jails for low-level offences was not the way to go.

A bigger issue was the sale of drugs in nightclubs.

Mr Medcraft said police did not have the resources to tackle the issue adequately.

Victorian Police Minister Bob Cameron said the drug diversion program helped break the cycle of crime.

People caught trafficking large quantities of drugs face up to 25 years in jail, he said.

Herald Sun

It is fucked to think how many people have probably recieved harsher sentences just for being the one with the hook up so they let all their mates pitch in but on the other side of the coin this is clearly drug supply.

You can't really expect this behaviour to be viewed in the exact same light as personal use but I'd like to think the majority of magistrates atleast make a distinction between this sort of behaviour and blatant dealing for profit.

A friend of mine was arrested for possessing ecstasy a few weeks ago. It wasn't even his, he was just the guy that could get it, doing a favour for some people at a party.

Sad.

""They get in and start getting support to deal with the issues," Mr Rogerson said." You have to love how recreational drug use = issues

^^ Yes. I've been charged with both trafficking and supplying a drug of dependence. It was explained to me that trafficking required the transaction of money in exchange for drugs, whereas supply was just giving away drugs. I don't know whether supply is looked upon less seriously than trafficking or not though (I was 14 when I ate those charges, pretty much thrown out of court).

The reason I asked was to get people thinking...

The article implies that a person sharing drugs will be dealt with in the same manner as someone selling drugs (trafficking). This however is not the case.

I believe there is a quantity applied to any trafficking charge. (i.e A minimum ammount is needed to be classified as trafficking)

Anybody got the reference to the law that these cops are stating? I used to have the controlled substances act, but I have no idea where it is now.

Well, as I said, I've been charged with both as two distinct separate charges :|

Supply Illegal Drugs
There is a very wide definition of "supply" – it includes:

* to give, distribute, sell, administer or transport or
* to offer to give, distribute, sell, administer, transport or supply or
* preparing for/furthering/for the purpose of giving, distributing, selling etc

Traffic Illegal Drugs
Trafficking means supplying drugs in circumstances of a commercial character. This usually involves larger amounts of drugs, or several acts of supply, or an organised business.

http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Lega...ystem/Offences/Drugs+and+breaking+the+law.htm

The reason I asked was to get people thinking...

The article implies that a person sharing drugs will be dealt with in the same manner as someone selling drugs (trafficking). This however is not the case.

I believe there is a quantity applied to any trafficking charge. (i.e A minimum ammount is needed to be classified as trafficking)

Anybody got the reference to the law that these cops are stating? I used to have the controlled substances act, but I have no idea where it is now.

It's not only the quantity but how the drugs are packaged, if you have a gram of louie on you and get done it's possession but if that gram was weighed up into 50 bags then, i think, it's possession with intent to supply.. I know of someone who's house was raided for stolen goods and also got done for possession with intent to supply because he weighed his bud up into separate grams so he'd only smoke a g every day, lol even with S,M,T,W,T,F,S written on the bags all the cop said was well that could just be someones initials... How he went in court I'm not sure.

Amphetamine

in individual packages 20

in any other form 25g

Coke

in any other form 25g

Codeine

25g

Dexamphetamine 25g

Heroin

in any other form 25g

Ephidrine 200g

Cannabis

20 plants

1kg

Poppy plants

500 plants

material 100g

Last edited:
Wonder how many people have ever been caught with 25 grams of pure codeine or dexamphetamine?

It is baffling to me that the weight that counts as trafficking is the same for codeine as it is for heroin, that is so out of whack.

I think you'll find for coke meth and amp etc. the trafficable amount is closer to 2 grams, I did have a link to a table on a government site but it's been moved.

OMG! WHta the fuck is with all these bullshit-ass storys as of late???/

Were all fucked rolss eyes...asif!