Opinions Needed - Splitting Opiate Discussion Off From OD Into A New Forum

Would you like to see opiate discussion split off from OD and into it's own forum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixpartseven

Bluelight Crew
The title says it all. How would you feel about taking the opiate discussion out of OD and giving it it's own forum?

The idea has been around since the birth of Other Drugs. There have been many arguments for and against it, two of the most popular being...

For: There is plenty of opiate discussion to warrant its own forum. It would make sense, just like cannabis and ecstasy have their own forums, opiates should, too.

Against: Opiate discussion makes up the majority of OD's subject matter, so removing it from OD would strip away a lot of its traffic.

There are many points and counter-points, so we want to hear them from you, the members who would be the most affected by such a change.

Would you like to see opiates have their own forum? Do you like OD the way it is? Do you not care?

After you vote on the poll, we would appreciate it if you could explain why you voted the way you did, so we can better understand your decision and use this knowledge to make the right decision about what to do with the forum.

I feel like opiates generate enough discussion to warrant there own forum

It would make it much easier for people coming here with questions relating to them

And we can have our own social thread for junkies =D

Considering the amount of opiate related threads started everyday my answer would be yes split them up.

I say split opiate discussion into two separate forums.

^ You mean split OD into two separate forums, or create an Opiate Discussion forum and split it in two?

I feel that while there is enough opiate discussion to warrant it's own forum but OD would be a shell of it's self in a sort without it. It's the majority of traffic so if it was split OD should be renamed to list the drugs that are discussed there. I'd be down to see a split but only if certain criteria were met to ensure OD remains a good resource and frequently visited.

Playing Devil's Advocate: Is it (opiates) really the majority of discussion in OD? A little while ago, I counted 20 non-opiate threads on the front page. There are only 40 threads listed per page. So that's an even 50/50 split, which could be the perfect justification for an opiate discussion forum. The two forums - OD and OD (lol) - would theoretically be equal in traffic.

The main issue, imo, is what will happen to the non-opiate forum, specifically with post/thread quality. It's no secret that a lot of us are only interested in opiates. And it could be argued that the most knowledgeable users are those just interested in opiates. So what happens to the non-opiate forum all those people stop browsing? Of course you could argue that those people already only click on opiate threads to begin with... But personally I don't buy that. Non-opiate threads are bound to catch your eye -with their title, # of replies, # of views, the thread starter, or the last person to reply. So you may come here for opiates, but chances are you'll drop by a few other threads. And by doing that you'll either learn something, or hopefully you'll post and help someone else out.

Speaking just for myself, I know I wouldn't have learned as much as I did about non-opiates if there was dedicated opiate forum here.

Also, the issue of how that forum will be staffed comes up, but that will be discussed out of public if this goes through.

Opiate Discussion V Other Drugs

Phrozen brings up a really good point.

I think OD should stay the same (the way it is now), because I would spend a lot of time in Opiate Discussion and not so much time in OD (plus, both acronyms would be OD - wouldn't that get mind-numbingly confusing?). Plus, 6/7 brings up a good point - it seems that OD (as it stands now) is about 50/50 (half of the topics are about opiates, the other half are a variety of other drugs).

I have a lot of information/knowledge to offer, and feel as if a lot of it wouldn't get across anymore as I would probably be in Opiate Discussion most of the time (you all know how much I post in the Suboxone Mega Thread).

Even though I would still visit both (if they were split up), a vast majority of users here would congregate to Opiate Discussion and OD would be left with a lot of crickets chirping in the wind.

Plus, most of the aged opiate users /ex-users would flock to Opiate Discussion, and they make up the majority of the informed, well written responses to most of the topics (regarding opiates or otherwise) here in Other Drugs.

I think splitting up OD would result in a lot of people getting frustrated their thread (question) isn't getting replies (answers) which will lead to a lot of repeat threads, etc.

For example, often people have questions about combos involving an opiate + a benzo, or an opiate + a stimulant, or an opiate + a psychedelic. Most often, these questions belong in OD (if it's mostly about psychedelics, then PD or, unless it's extremely basic question then it belongs in BDD) but if we created "Opiate Discussion" separate from OD, then what will happen is people are going to think "hm...my thread belongs in 3 different forums..." when they're trying to ask if it's safe to speedball on acid (which is a very enjoyable experience I might add ;)).

Long story short, we could split it up, I just don't think it's necessary. OD is for intermediary discussion, and if we created Opiate Discussion, I feel as if it wouldn't be as intermediary as OD has been in the past (there's a lot of awesome threads here - I've learned a lot from the contributing users such as 6/7*, djsim**, and many other posters) - and this might lead to a lot of people not learning as much as they have in the past.

For what it's worth, it is a well thought out idea. It definitely has merit, but I just think that the way things are now is better than splitting it up.

If anyone needs any clarification about what I'm trying to talk about just let me know. I'm actually really interested to see how this goes. :)

* 6/7 wrote the amazing Sublingual + Alcohol method for Suboxone - this increases bio-availability and is a miracle for anyone trying to taper
** djsim wrote a little on benzodiazepine tolerance and how the GABA subunits alpha and gamma dissociate with long-term benzo abuse - really fascinating information regarding pharmacodynamic theory which I believe to be true

I brought up these two ideas because this is the stuff I love to learn about when I visit blue light, and I feel that OD made it possible to learn about these things. Maybe I'm wrong and I would've eventually discovered their posts somewhere else anyways (as 6/7's would have gone into Opiate Discussion and djsim's would have stayed into Other Drugs), but I just feel if we keep it all together in Other Drugs it'll all be easier to find.

Last edited:
Split it up! Too bad for the people who want to speedball on acid :D

Last edited:
Playing Devil's Advocate: Is it (opiates) really the majority of discussion in OD? A little while ago, I counted 20 non-opiate threads on the front page. There are only 40 threads listed per page. So that's an even 50/50 split, which could be the perfect justification for an opiate discussion forum. The two forums - OD and OD (lol) - would theoretically be equal in traffic.

Thats one sample though. And Phrozen echoed my views on how would OD be effected after the change, and how could we minimize a decline in quality and traffic.

Thanks for saying it better than me Phrozen :).

if it does get split i got a feeling you will still have alot of opiate post in the wrong section. imo a better split would be the 2 ends of the spectrum, an upper and downers sub-forum split. perhaps that would better place ppls post

yea so i should have voted for split it another way

^ An uppers/downers split would probably be more my choice than an opiate/non-opiate split if any split is splut but am persuadable :)

The drugs discussed in OD are frequently combined in varying ways - without even bringing psyches into it - so there would be a fair amount of "which side of the line does this fall?" quandaries too, I'd think. OD is a one stop shop.

I was going to say split it up, because opiates seem to be so popular, but phrozen and CH convinced me. I think having some coherency is of use, as this permits OD to benefit from the cross-knowledge of different people with different DOC's. Leave bluelight the way it is; if it works, it works.

I like that this is finally getting out into the open. I have often thought of this when browsing OD and seeing tons and tons of opiate threads. I think there are pros and cons as stated above, one major one being at least half of the posts here are about opiates. However, I am inclined to agree with CH, phrozen and others in that it wouldn't get enough traffic from people with good, correct knowledge of other drugs besides opiates.

I think a lot of people are like me who are interested in opiates to a great degree but also to drugs besides them and theoretically i could see myself saying "oh yeah, I would browse opiates, but jump back to OD" but in reality I think it might be different. Just because forums are only 2 clicks away does mean people will go there. As an example, I have gone into OD and then thought "oh I need to go over to this forum later" but got involved in something and never really made it.

I'm voting for keeping it the same..

I've voiced my opinion on this before, so I won't bother to type out a long post. In short, my answer is a resounding "no."

It appears the large majority of the staff members that have posted in here are against a split as well. I don't think its a coincidence that we all feel the same way about it.

No opiate secession from OD.

How about a Narcotics forum? Group the opiates with coke and anything else that fits. Leave the plant fertilizers and methamphetamine to "other drugs". I can't believe they have co-exited for so long.

But...if not this, then yes. An opiate forum please :).

i voted no cuz it isnt like OD would be as jumbled and packed as it is now if people would just stop posting the same stupid threads every day.

i used to think opiates should have a sperate subforum but i have grown to enjoy the OD community the way it is

also OD is the best sub forum on this board, why fuck with it

Upper/downer this sounds dangerous as those categories can be ambiguous and vague.

I agree with a lot of the points for both sides, and I am kind of undecided, but I voted to split it up.

Although... i do want to say to the Mods, please don't make the decision solely based on quantity of votes as the votes are voted first, then the posts are read... I still stick with my vote choice, but there are some things that need to be resolved.

The vote will have no direct influence on the decision. It is here merely to gauge how the members feel about the issue so we know if we should even be considering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.