Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Border Mail - 28/08/09 'Drug overdose sparks warning about potent pills'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew

Drug overdose sparks warning about potent pills
BY JOHN CONROY
28/08/2009 9:00:00 AM

A BORDER drug counsellor has warned of the dangers of taking the drug BZP after an overdose in Albury early yesterday morning.

A NSW Ambulance spokesman said a young woman was hospitalised after a drug overdose outside a premises in Dean Street soon after 3am.

“The patient was confused, had tremors, dilated pupils and was slow to react,” he said.

An Albury Base Hospital spokeswoman said the woman was discharged from hospital yesterday.

It is not known what drug caused the emergency but one witness said BZP pills are becoming more common in the twin cities.

Witness Kelvyn Everett, an Albury bartender, said the woman had been “convulsing and twitching” on the street, similar to the seizures caused by BZP.

He said there had been talk of BZP pills circulating on the Border recently after they had lost favour with Melbourne buyers.

He said they went under several names including Blue Kings, Blue Crowns and Blue Rolex.

“They’ve been going around for months now,” he said.

“People have done tests to confirm there is BZP in these pills.

“I’m not 100 per cent confident (last night’s incident) was BZP, I didn’t see them being taken, it could be something else, but it seems likes it’s the case from what I’ve researched.

“It was BZP or maybe GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyric acid).

“But not MDMA (ecstasy).”

Benzylpiperazine, which has street names including A2, Benny Bear, Benny, Frenzy and Nemesis, is illegal in Australia.

There have been no deaths reported after sole ingestion of the drug, although deaths have occurred from the combination of BZP and other drugs.

A study carried out at an Auckland emergency department found that BZP presentations made only a minor contribution to the overdose database with most cases not producing any significant toxicity.

Gateway Community Health manager of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, Deb Heery, said the overdose could have been caused by the amphetamine alternative.

She said if it was, it would be the first time she had heard of its use on the Border.

“BZP is more potent than the usual stimulants (in party pills),” Mrs Heery said.

“Because it’s such a potent stimulant, it can really play havoc with body systems.

“Obviously in this case, it’s hard to know. The evidence is anecdotal.”

She said it was another reminder of the dangers of taking so-called recreational drugs.

“They’re not regulated, you don’t know what’s in them,” she said.

Benzylpiperazine, which has street names including A2, Benny Bear, Benny, Frenzy and Nemesis, is illegal in Australia.

Sigh... do they just sit in their office and come up with that shit?

“They’re not regulated, you don’t know what’s in them,” she said.

And whos fault is that?

Interesting to see some media coverage of piperazines, though they seem to have dodged around the fact that nobody actually consumes them willingly, it's always in an adulterated tablet sold as ecstasy.

He said there had been talk of BZP pills circulating on the Border recently after they had lost favour with Melbourne buyers.

About bloody time the dealers got the message on this shit, just a shame the pricks are now try to take advantage of people in the bush that may not know so much about this crap. . . .

I love the slang names they come up with for drugs, "nemesis" lmao. The only people I can see calling BZP nemesis are bluelighters!

Its funny how my workmates all come in and talk bout how and what pills they ate. O i felt so shit the next day but it was mad. Mumbled to myself mate if i gave u sum mdma crystals ud be so floored in a good way u wouldnt know what hit u and u wouldnt be feelin so crap the next day. Keep eating that shit atleast there will be less for us. Hahaha

I love the slang names they come up with for drugs, "nemesis" lmao. The only people I can see calling BZP nemesis are bluelighters!

nemisis was the name of one of the first BZP based party pills on sale in NZ ... Nemi's for short ... them and Frenzy's ....
And to tell the truth I honestly don't think BZP and TFMPP dosed correctly together are as bad or dangerous as everyone seems to make out ... the other pipes MCPP and the like are more dodgy ones IMO ... 30 million doses in NZ since 2003 until there ban and not a single fatality ... seems that people just get on a bandwagon and enjoy the ride ... a good portion of people saying how bad BZP is have probably never consumed it in a controlled fashion nor known if they have actually consumed it or another pipe altogether ... I have never witnessed an adverse or negative reaction when dosed in a controlled fashion ...
in saying that I would be annoyed in paying for any product when you are unwittingly getting a cheap imitation of said product ...

Also no pill that contains any of those drugs will be dosed in a controlled fashion and could be mixed with all other kinds of crap.

Like the DXM + BZP pills that were floating around adelaide for a bit.

nemisis was the name of one of the first BZP based party pills on sale in NZ ... Nemi's for short ... them and Frenzy's ....
And to tell the truth I honestly don't think BZP and TFMPP dosed correctly together are as bad or dangerous as everyone seems to make out ... the other pipes MCPP and the like are more dodgy ones IMO ... 30 million doses in NZ since 2003 until there ban and not a single fatality ... seems that people just get on a bandwagon and enjoy the ride ... a good portion of people saying how bad BZP is have probably never consumed it in a controlled fashion nor known if they have actually consumed it or another pipe altogether ... I have never witnessed an adverse or negative reaction when dosed in a controlled fashion ...
in saying that I would be annoyed in paying for any product when you are unwittingly getting a cheap imitation of said product ...

Ive tried all of the pure powders. The negative effects outweighed the positive. Its not worth being sick for days. Id rather be sober then to take that shit n yeah feel so good but then sick as a dog.

Also no pill that contains any of those drugs will be dosed in a controlled fashion and could be mixed with all other kinds of crap.

Like the DXM + BZP pills that were floating around adelaide for a bit.

Well thats where the legalisation of any substance comes into play. As soon as you make something illegal you lose complete control of it's manufacture and distribution .. while legal products can be marketed and controlled with complete transparency and quality control ...
Netherlands is a perfect example of this with Cannabis ... they have one of the lowest rates of under 18's cannabis abuse in the world ... while Australia, NZ and USA (with some of the strictest prohibition laws) have some of the highest rates ... Education through transparency is the only way to achieve positive results ...

Well I don't think they're all that dangerous in terms of long term health effects, but they're just, not that fun. It's MDMA with none of the things that make MDMA worth taking, all of the bad side effects and none of the good effects that you take it for in the first place.

Well thats where the legalisation of any substance comes into play. As soon as you make something illegal you lose complete control of it's manufacture and distribution .. while legal products can be marketed and controlled with complete transparency and quality control ...
Netherlands is a perfect example of this with Cannabis ... they have one of the lowest rates of under 18's cannabis abuse in the world ... while Australia, NZ and USA (with some of the strictest prohibition laws) have some of the highest rates ... Education through transparency is the only way to achieve positive results ...

Sorry, but I seem to be missing the point of this.
I think you'll find 90% of BL already knows and supports this.

The pills consumed were "Blue Kings" as they are known around here (rolex / crown). She ate 5 whilst in the club. Her brother had just been buried that day so she was quite down and was trying to escape from it i guess.

Tried to help her friends out explaining what was in the pills, talked to the ambos' and gave them the rundown on what was in the pills / how many she took. I could not confirm if she had taken anything other than the pills / alcohol but no one wanted to say any more / didn't know anymore.

Can only hope this teaches people around here to play it smart when taking drugs.

Sorry, but I seem to be missing the point of this.
I think you'll find 90% of BL already knows and supports this.

The point is you stated that there is no control over the content of these pills ... NZ had that control and lost it through prohibition ... there is as much control on the content of pipes in pills as any other illegal substance ..(none)... thats my point ....

Feel bad for the family considering she had just lost a brother & all...

^^^ and that's why we don't use drugs to escape our problems, especially in traumatic times.