• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Holotropic Breathing Questions...

daysonatrain

Bluelighter
Hey all,

I have recently stumbled across holotropic breathing and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. basically holotropic breathing is hyperventalating with trippy music behind it. though actually i have never formally taken a class, this sounds like the very simple jist of it. does anyone have any personal experience with this, i am quite interested in how it actually is done, what music is played while doing it, basically anything. from all ive read they dont really explain how the layout of a "course" goes.

ive done several hour sessions of just "fast" breathing, and it certainly tripped me out. very much more intense than i expected. i guess the actualy class is two hours, and with tripped out music i can myself being pretty gone :)

if anyone has any instructions along with the types of music used during their sessions that would be great.

another aspect im curious about is health benefits/negative effects from hyperventalating. would this damage the body at all if done very frequently.

thanks,
DoaT

nobody? hm, would have thought someone on bl would have some experience with this...

Sounds like you're upsetting your O2/CO2 balance, and altering yourself in that way. Whatever floats your boat, but I'd say that it is less than healthy.

Nitrous is way more fun.

um, ok. do you know its bad for your health or are you just assuming? if heavy breathing was bad for your health wouldnt running and any cardio workout be bad for your health.

btw, dont knock it till you try it. and i never compared it to nitrous...

can you elaborate? i dont see anything besides his association with psychs, nothing about holotropic breathing.

^Have you ever heard of the phrase "The Wall of Fame"?

um, ok. do you know its bad for your health or are you just assuming? .

I looked into this a few years ago and some people did suffer permanent damage from it. There was an article on Erowid somewhere that mentioned people either getting permanent terrible HPPD or having psychotic breaks.

It was only one or two people though, and I got the impression they started suffering from the practice and felt like they needed to 'work through' their negative symptoms up and keep doing it more until they were enlightened or something.

So look it up on erowid because my memory is spotty, and I'd say if you start feeling retarded or having perceptual distortions try letting your brain heal instead of fucking it up more.

Like the Fire Breath in Kundalini Yoga? Though that isn't hyperventilating or supposed to be done for hours (AFAIK). You exhale and bring your navel out, then inhale as it's coming in, and do it quickly. It releases toxins into the bloodstream amongst other things.