• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Denial, any suggestions?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hi guys,

I've had an on going problem for the past few years now and it's one that seems to have an easy solution to it however I can't bring myself to do it for whatever reason.

My problem started years ago when I began drinking, this then lead to smoking, gambling and then drugs. Any how I know some people have regrets after there consumption or others can control themselves afterwards. But I for whatever known reason always go into a denial stage and say i'm going to quit, etc. Then I do for the whole 3 - 5 days and then it's back to where I begun.

It's getting to a stage where it's becoming a problem as I think about the events of drinking, smoking etc during the week and it disrupts my work.

I'm thinking after a lot of self discovery that I'm not a type who can control a simple pleasure such as drinking or any other form of substance as this often brings me down to showing attributes of addiction.

Anyone have any food for thought on this topic?

have you tried setting more realistic goals regarding your substance use? i've always found that promising myself i'm going to quit everything inevitably leads to failure, frustration, and going right back to where i was. however, if i set smaller goals (only three drinks today, no smoking until tomorrow, etc.) i'm more likely to accomplish them, feel good about myself, and have the confidence to accomplish the next round of goals as well.