• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

missed the vein i.v.ing a pill -- infection?????

faithinthegasman

Greenlighter
two or three days ago i tried to i.v. an oxycontin into my forearm and missed the vein (i know i should have stopped when i felt myself missing but i was desperate and couldn't find a vein)...now the site where i missed the pill is a swollen, pinkish bump that i think is growing and hurts and radiates heat...so i think it's an infection and i'm going to see the doctor as soon as possible...in the meantime, is there anything i can do to make it better? is it worth going to the e.r. tonight or is it not that urgent?

i don't know if i put this in the right place...i searched for what i need to know but i can't find it on the site so i'm sorry if it's already been covered or something.

Most people would recommend the ER for the sake of harm reduction, but I've had missed Oxy shots that healed fine on their own...:\ If it starts to get worse or spread, I would definitely go to the ER, though.

I would suggest taking 600-800mg Ibuprofen, and see if the swelling goes down. It's kind of a late to be treating it, but a hot compress might help.

All due respect to Heroin Girl's experiences, but if you have a swollen, missed shot that is radiating heat, ibuprofen is not going to cut it. Its almost definitely infected.

Chances are you will be ok until tomorrow to see a doctor, but there is always the possibility of infection entering the bloodstream. If it were me, I'd go to the ER, but that is your call. Whatever the case, SEE A DOCTOR tomorrow at the latest to get it treated.

edit - and theres really not much you can do in the meantime. Don't "mess" with it, or try to cut it yourself or anything like that. The best thing you can do is see a doc.

Ah, sorry if that was misleading. I do think the OP should see a doctor - just wasn't sure if it was actually worth going to the ER for.

In the meantime, Ibuprofen usually reduces some pain and inflammation, and I don't think it would hurt to try it, but definitely don't try to lance it or anything.

While you wait to go to a physician you can take Ibuprofen amd hot/moist compresses.

If your missed shot is red, swollen and radiating heat there is nothing that we can do for you except telling you that you need to get to a doctor, soon, for antibiotics and medical care. We cannot tell you how severe it is or isn't with out seeing the injection site.