• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Opinions on Ponstel --- effective?

purple_cloud

Bluelight Crew
My gynocologist recently gave me Ponstel for period cramps, after I told him ibuprofen seemed to help, but just not enough. Do any other women on here have experience with this drug (mefenamic acid)? I tried finding reviews via google search, and there are few out there.

Also, I know this is usually prescribed for period cramps, but it says on the pharmacy info that it can be used for mild to moderate pain in general. Has anyone used it for anything other than menstrual cramping? If so, what sort of pain and how effective was it?

^^ I take it. It's pretty good for pain, but I take 1500 mgs when my cramps are unbearable, or I have a huge headache. Other people are fine with just 500 mgs. I think Naproxen works slightly better.

Hmm, I was given anaprox a few years ago and I would tend to throw it up. I generally stay away from Naproxen in general after that (yes, I took it with food of course, no idea why this happened, more than once too). I used the search engine and saw that you were the only person who seems to have any experience with this --- I'm hoping there are some other women out there too.

I was given the directions of 500mg at start of pain and/or bleeding, then 250mg every 6 hours thereafter for 2-3 days (the worst of the period and cramping, I used to throw up and be bedridden for days, birth control pills have helped that but I still get bad cramping). By 1500mg do you mean in one dose or throughout the day?

Yes pc, mefenamic acid has worked wonders for my period pain, when nothing else would help. I hope it works for you too. Good luck! <3

Thanks n3o...I hope it becomes my miracle drug too. All those narcotics (oxy, hydrocodone, you name it) didn't touch the pain. I'm definitely spreading the word to all my suffering female friends if this helps me --- not due for my monthly visit for a couple weeks, I'll give my opinion on it then.

). By 1500mg do you mean in one dose or throughout the day?

If I have super bad cramps, I take it in one dose. If its just a headache, I take two and take a third one an hour later. It really depends, I cant recommend this to you because we are different, so you will just have to gauge what dose is right for you.

Also when I had my root canal procedures before, I was only given mefenamic acid to relieve my pain post operation. Nobody here prescribes the painkillers given in the West (lulz). I survived.

Most Asians take only mefenamic acid (or some other NSAID) and paracetamol and ibuprofen for any pain!!! Anyway hope it works for you too <3

Last edited: