• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: newscientist.com - 09/08/09 'Dieting could lead to a positive test for cannabi'

Amblin

Bluelighter
Dieting could lead to a positive test for cannabis

* 09 August 2009 by Emma Young

CANNABIS smokers beware: stress or dieting might trigger "reintoxication", resulting in a positive drug test long after you last used the drug.

The main psychoactive ingredient of cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and once in the body it is readily absorbed into fat cells. Over the next few days it slowly diffuses back into the blood. Since THC is taken up by fat more readily than it diffuses out, continual intake means some THC can remain in the fat cells.

It has been suggested that stored THC can be released at a later date in situations where the body's fat is rapidly broken down. This is based on anecdotal reports of spikes in blood cannabinoid levels in people who have not taken the drug recently but have experienced extreme stress or rapid weight loss.

Jonathon Arnold at the University of Sydney, Australia, cites the example of an athlete who swore he hadn't smoked cannabis in months but who had rapidly lost 4 kilograms just before a positive drug test.

To investigate whether rapid breakdown of body fat could have been responsible, Arnold and colleague Iain McGregor first exposed THC-laden fat cells taken from rats to the stress hormone ACTH. They found that the hormone increased the speed of release of THC from the cells.

Then they injected rats with 10 milligrams per kilogram of THC (equivalent to a person smoking between five and 10 cannabis cigarettes, depending on their strength) every day for 10 days. Two days later, they injected a third of the rats with ACTH, deprived another third of food for 24 hours, with the rest as controls.

Subsequent blood tests showed that rats that were food deprived had double the blood level of THC acid, a metabolite of THC, compared with the controls. Those that were exposed to ACTH also showed a statistically significant increase in THC acid levels. The study has been accepted for publication by the British Journal of Pharmacology.

However, the new work did not find evidence of increased THC acid levels more than two days after the last THC dose. Arnold thinks this could be due to the short-term nature of the experiment. He suspects that if doses were given over a longer period of time, sufficient THC levels could build up in body fat to explain abnormally high levels of THC metabolites in people who claim not to have taken the drug recently.

The main implication of the work could be for legal cases in which athletes or employees have tested positive for cannabis but claim they haven't recently consumed it, Arnold says. "But the clincher would be for us to show these results in humans."

Link

I found this quite interesting as I always assumed it was an urban myth. I think it would be an interesting experiment to do with humans as well. Not just blood but also a urine test.

Also if I put on 20kgs in a year and smoked up lots over that time would I have more THC "stored" in my fat than someone who didn't increase their weight?

Perhaps some other drugs are the same? Thoughts?

EDIT: If a mod could fix the title it would be appreciated, thanks.

It is fairly interesting, I remember seeing an episode of house where that happened and it was ruining the guys immune system or something and I thought what a load of shit. It turns out its not as bullshit as I thought but the whole fucked immune system from THC idea was laughable at best.

Isn't this in DiTM? It is an informative article but I don't really see how this belongs in Australian Drug Discussion, it really belongs in DiTM and maybe could be argued CD if its an old article.

The research was done at the University of Sydney. Usually a thread should be topical to Australians but it's not strictly enforced for news articles, as long as there aren't too many. In the same way, if an article posted here is significant enough or globally relevant, it should be cross-posted to DiTM too.

Uhmm.. Exercise, water and charcole are the only way to help get rid of THC I have found being tested in the Navy

I thought this was common knowledge.

Hmm. Must be ahead of the times.

Lucky I don't have fat cells :p

LOL Theres nothing that strips off weight faster than being a chronic bonghead who frequently uses amphetamines hey Jake?

I went down from just over 70 to like 58 kilos when I was doing all those drugs, within a a month and a half to two months of stopping and just drinking every night I put most of it back on.

Isn't this in DiTM? It is an informative article but I don't really see how this belongs in Australian Drug Discussion, it really belongs in DiTM and maybe could be argued CD if its an old article.

Good point but I don't often read the other forums. Perhaps after a little time here it could be shifted over?

I remember when I first read many a year ago that the reason that you can come back positive for THC so long after administration was that it 'hides out' in adipose tissue, and I had often wondered if this sort of thing would be the case.

Looks like someone spent the time and money to confirm it :D

.... He suspects that if doses were given over a longer period of time, sufficient THC levels could build up in body fat ...But the clincher would be for us to show these results in humans...

I'll volunteer for those trials! =D

LOL Theres nothing that strips off weight faster than being a chronic bonghead who frequently uses amphetamines hey Jake?

I went down from just over 70 to like 58 kilos when I was doing all those drugs, within a a month and a half to two months of stopping and just drinking every night I put most of it back on.

I'm actually not too bad. My weight doesn't fluctuate heaps with heavy drug use. I started at around 57kg and worst I ever got during my meth and pills heavy use was like 53. But I'm a skinny little prick.

But yeah, they definitely don't help me gain weight. I'm hoping insane amounts of KFC does though.

Back when I was into powerlifting I always found that eating healthier foods but in vast quantities helped me gain weight a lot easier than junk food. I think its because even though its not as fatty there are more useful calories for your body to absorb but I dunno, just my experience.

Fuck man you are pretty skinny, ever tried hitting the weights, eating fuckloads and drinking weight gain shakes like they are going out of fashion?

Haha yeah I know. Yeah tried it for a fair while with not enough gain for it to be worth it.
Tried seeing a nutritionalist but I eat healthy and shit so there's not much else I can do. So just retired to binging on junk food etc. Doesn't make enough difference for me to bother haha.
Been getting way more physical exercise lately thanks to a job and eating way more. But still nothing haha.

This is way off topic btw.
We should probably start talking about the THC in what few fat cells I have :p.
Sorry mods!