• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Scoliosis? My back is screwed up...

tom80

Bluelighter
For the past 2 months or so my mid back has been bothering me on and off. It varies from slight soreness to very fucking sharp pain (that I've never experienced until now), to the point where I have to lay down (standing or sitting makes it worse). Ibuprofen/naproxen/Tylenol helps a tad, but only the big guns can touch the pain, and I'm just about out of those.

I got a Swedish massage a few days ago, and she told me that my mid back is deformed, that I should get an X-ray, and that I probably have scoliosis.

I've had bad posture my whole life, so this doesn't really surprise me (although weight training has helped w/ my posture a bit), and I've never been overweight. I'm going to see my doctor this week and see what happens.

So what should I expect if I do indeed have it? At 24 y/o my back is already shit apparently, so will it get a lot worse with age? Any stretches/exercises I can do to help w/the pain before I see my doc? How would he treat it? Is there a decent chance of getting a decent script? (I'm not looking to get high, it just really fucking hurts once in a blue moon).

Any advice/stories of your own would be nice. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've been diagnosed with very slight scoliosis. At 24, you're done growing, so thankfully the curve won't worsen from here.

Chasing scripts for something like back pain is a bad idea. I know your intentions are pure and you're not doing it to get high, but this is something that isn't going to go away over night. You need to learn pain management techniques that don't have to do with popping opiates, or else you're heading for something much worse than mild scoliosis.

I want to make something clear, I'm not "chasing scripts". Its only really painful once every couple weeks, so even if I was scripted opies, I'd still only take them when I really needed to (I know every addict says that before the addiction, but I've already been there, done that unfortunately).

Forget I even mentioned pills, I'd rather have a longterm solution than a quick fix. I just want some advice on stretches or whatever the fuck else might help until I see the doctor.

I want to make something clear, I'm not "chasing scripts". Its only really painful once every couple weeks, so even if I was scripted opies, I'd still only take them when I really needed to (I know every addict says that before the addiction, but I've already been there, done that unfortunately).

Forget I even mentioned pills, I'd rather have a longterm solution than a quick fix. I just want some advice on stretches or whatever the fuck else might help until I see the doctor.

ask your doc to give you a physical therapy referral and find a physical therapist or massage therapist that you can work with.
strengthening your back muscles equally is really important as well as working on improving your posture.

it took me awhile to find the right person but I eventually found a great physical therapist who really listened and helped me a lot. best of luck to you.
-izzy

For the past 2 months or so my mid back has been bothering me on and off. It varies from slight soreness to very fucking sharp pain (that I've never experienced until now), to the point where I have to lay down (standing or sitting makes it worse). Ibuprofen/naproxen/Tylenol helps a tad, but only the big guns can touch the pain, and I'm just about out of those.

I got a Swedish massage a few days ago, and she told me that my mid back is deformed, that I should get an X-ray, and that I probably have scoliosis.

I've had bad posture my whole life, so this doesn't really surprise me (although weight training has helped w/ my posture a bit), and I've never been overweight. I'm going to see my doctor this week and see what happens.

So what should I expect if I do indeed have it? At 24 y/o my back is already shit apparently, so will it get a lot worse with age? Any stretches/exercises I can do to help w/the pain before I see my doc? How would he treat it? Is there a decent chance of getting a decent script? (I'm not looking to get high, it just really fucking hurts once in a blue moon).

Any advice/stories of your own would be nice. Thanks.

Scoliosis starts early in life, and as we age, it worsens. It takes a very long time to heal, if you take action now, you have along way ahead of you. It is not just in that area, the neck and other areas need treatment.

You don't know if it is that, unless you have X-Rays. The deepest mussles are involved-or what they are called the 3rd layer. Find a good physio, who also does manipulation and special pilates, after you see your doc. A heat lamp can help or hot compresses, if you can't see someone right away.
Also special massage-remedial-trigger point-deep tissue-craniosacral and other body work can assist. It takes a long time, but especially when your body is ready to release one layer, it lets you know through pain.

Stretching may not assist your scoliosis, it may make it worse, but pilates is proven to be very good for it.

Swedish massage is far too mild, it is a relaxing massage, would not help you any. You need deep work, to find relief. I will place some links here for you to read some of the therapies that can assist.

http://shop.naturalwellnessonline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=E525
http://shop.naturalwellnessonline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=E510
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGL4wF8GHug
http://www.pilates-pro.com/pilates-pro/2009/4/3/pilates-for-scoliosis.html

Whilst you're waiting for physio to make improvements you could explore amitriptyline for pain management. I didn't want to take opiates for months on end and diclofenac didn't agree with me so this was their final suggestion and it has worked really well for my back pain.

I just want to thank everyone for the advice.

Izzy, a physical therapist seems like a good idea, will be sure to look into that.

LITM, I agree on the Swedish massage. It relaxed me for a while, but didn't do anything for longterm help. I don't know much about pilates, but will do my homework. And I appreciate the links, very cool of you.

Wibble, isn't amitriptyline some sort of psychedelic? Forgive me if not, but psychs tend to make me focus on the pain more.

One last thing, a friend of mine who has scoliosis told me about his spinal fusion surgery. Is that more for extreme cases, or the norm? Of course I'll talk to my doctor before I even consider it, but any input here would be appreciated.

tom, surgery should be an absolute last resort. i'm an RN and have had multiple back/hip/pelvic injuries due to car/bike wrecks and I also have rheumatoid arthritis so i've had pain issues for 20+ yrs. a good physical therapy routine can really help but you've got to work it to get and maintain improvement. you can get supplements of calcium, magnesium, and zinc which along w/ advil or aleve can also help w/ muscle spasms and pain. amitriptyline (elavil) is a type of antidepressant, has been around for many years, and a low dose(25-50mg) can help some ppl get better, restorative sleep w/out a lot of side effects like a hangover feeling in the a.m. it's not a psychedelic or pain pill. best of luck to you.
-izzy

Last edited:
I just want to thank everyone for the advice.

Izzy, a physical therapist seems like a good idea, will be sure to look into that.

LITM, I agree on the Swedish massage. It relaxed me for a while, but didn't do anything for longterm help. I don't know much about pilates, but will do my homework. And I appreciate the links, very cool of you.

Wibble, isn't amitriptyline some sort of psychedelic? Forgive me if not, but psychs tend to make me focus on the pain more.

One last thing, a friend of mine who has scoliosis told me about his spinal fusion surgery. Is that more for extreme cases, or the norm? Of course I'll talk to my doctor before I even consider it, but any input here would be appreciated.

Tom, please don't do surgery, it will ruin you! As many people who had it, they regretted it! Indeed it is a very last result, but don't be fooled to believe it will cure your problem, it won't, you will be in horrific pain and nothing can undo it.
You are young I presume, see what practical therapies can assist you!!:)