• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Can 'excited delirium' get cops off the hook?

7zark7

Bluelight Crew
[size=+1]Can 'excited delirium' get cops off the hook?[/size]
08 August 2009 by Aria Pearson

THE stories are always similar: a crack addict is running through the streets, semi-naked and delirious, aggressively challenging anyone that gets in his way. It takes a dozen police officers to subdue and restrain him, at which point he collapses and dies.

Rare as these deaths are, more often than not police brutality is blamed and officers are taken to court, but researchers now think that such events are the result of a rare disorder called "excited delirium".

Anecdotally, physicians use the term to describe a state in which a person becomes agitated and combative, with superhuman strength and skyrocketing body temperature. However, the American Medical Association does not recognise the disorder, which has led to claims that it does not exist and is merely an excuse used by police.

To investigate mechanisms that might underlie the disorder, Deborah Mash and colleagues at the University of Miami in Florida analysed brain-tissue samples from 90 cases of sudden death in which the person had telltale signs of excited delirium.

The team identified two biomarkers common to all 90 individuals (Forensic Science International, DOI: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2009.05.012). The first was a decrease in dopamine transporters - proteins embedded in the membranes of brain nerve cells that mop up extra dopamine - when compared with people who had died of a cocaine overdose and drug-free people who died of natural causes or trauma.

Cocaine and other narcotics, as well as extreme stress, can cause an increase in dopamine. So if someone using cocaine or under stress happens to have fewer transporters than normal their brains would end up awash with dopamine, says Mash. The extra dopamine could then cause heart malfunctions and problems regulating body temperature, leading to death. "Whether it's environmental stress or the crack pipe, it's going to trip the switch," she says.

The second biomarker was an increase in the expression of heat shock proteins. Being able to prove that an individual was burning up by measuring this protein during an autopsy could help diagnosis.

Jared Strote, a physician at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle, says that the biomarkers suggest excited delirium is a medical phenomenon, but their presence doesn't necessarily rule out police force as a contributing factor in these deaths. Certain combinations of police actions might be enough to push people over the edge, he says.

Link: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327204.500-can-excited-delirium-get-cops-off-the-hook.html

However, the American Medical Association does not recognise the disorder, which has led to claims that it does not exist and is merely an excuse used by police.

Enough said.

Enough said.

I believe The American Medical Association also says marijuana has no medical value and in turn is scheduled I drug.

Schedule 1 drugs:
Heroin
Quaalude
DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and all them other "RCs"

I think this 'excited delirium' is NONSENSE.

God i hope Obama doesn't fuck up this very important time to talk today about Drugs n' Guns.. but i will undoubtedly listen to more NONSENSE probably..
[][]
this w0rld hopeless, but I love it anyways

Wrong wrong with "running through the streets, semi-naked"? Let him run - he will stop sooner or later. Fascist sadistic cops want any excuse to just Taser someone.

These 'non-lethal' weapons are pretty horrifying. Due to that designation the police/prison gaurds/etc seem to use them with reckless disregard for human life- especially when they all know of the deaths that result from these 'non-lethal' weapons every year.

Wrong wrong with "running through the streets, semi-naked"? Let him run - he will stop sooner or later. Fascist sadistic cops want any excuse to just Taser someone.

I'm with you brother. As long as dude isn't accosting people and beating them up there has been no crime committed in my view. Harm yourself and your public reputation all you want. It's ONLY when harm comes to another through your actions that you have commited wrongdoing.

I believe The American Medical Association also says marijuana has no medical value and in turn is scheduled I drug.

Schedule 1 drugs:
Heroin
Quaalude
DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and all them other "RCs"
DMT, schedule one.....fuck that. DMT is the most therapeutic drug I've ever done. I don't know about medical value but if you want to meet God.....
(off topic)

Anyway I bet in 90% cases the police only make the situation worse when people are all coked/pcp'ed out. But the thought of trip sitting cops with alprazolam tranquillizer guns makes me lol. I don't know if there is any way to stop shit like this happening...maybe cops just learning to recognize when someone is all fucked up and react differently than just reaching of their taser or real gun as a first reaction. I for one think the alprazolam tranquillizer gun is a great idea. Or maybe ketamine tranquillizer guns for those real fucked up. Then again, I could see some ravers running around naked towards the harsh comedown of a roll, just to get a free shot of ket.

If you survive, I think most 'naked hysterical drug addicts' are strapped to a gourney and injected with large amounts of Haloperidol (in the old days Thorazine). When you calmed down you get charged with:

-Resisting Arrest
-Assaulting a police officer
-Obstructing a police officer
-Reckless endangerment
-public intoxication

etc

While I agree that force should not be used in a careless fashion, it is also naive to think that cops could just let someone run until they stop running. What if the person finds a civilian and takes them hostage? What if they hurt someone while in the process of running?

I would think that some kind of chemical should be used in "stun" guns that gently puts the person down instead of a very dangerous blast of voltage. Cops love their brutality though, so I doubt they will give up their stun guns.

What if isn't the same as 'they will'. We all have the potential to commit a crime. We all have the same choice to take hostages, steal, murder and rape on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis.

A person shouldn't be harmed or incarcerated for what they just might do.

What if isn't the same as 'they will'. We all have the potential to commit a crime. We all have the same choice to take hostages, steal, murder and rape on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis.

A person shouldn't be harmed or incarcerated for what they just might do.

I had assumed that the cops were chacing someone after a crime had been committed and the suspect posed a danger to society. If no crime has been committed I agree that they shouldn't be taken down by force.

What's wrong with "running through the streets, semi-naked"? Let him run - he will stop sooner or later. Fascist sadistic cops want any excuse to just Taser someone.

silly, the cops don't get to kill him if he gets himself killed