• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The Protein Myth

xexon

Bluelighter
As those in the US are aware, we have a food pyramid.

I've made a mockery out of it for almost 30 years now.

Vegetarian, and I consume perhaps half the recommended daily allowance. I have an excellent state of health that is uncommon. Even for my age group. I take no medicines or suppliments. I don't even drink water.

We are now beginning to understand that too much protein is contributing to long term health problems. Americans in particular have health issues that don't exist in other countries.

You should all look closely at your diets, because if you don't, your later years are going to be a nightmare for you.

The only downside for me is I've outlived almost all my friends and family.

But everything in life has a price, doesn't it?

x

Martinelli's apple juice is my staple. Fresh orange juice as a second.

I'll drink water if nothing else is available. Maybe a quart a year.

x

I really, really want to make this a long post because there is so much wrong here and I have so much I could say to correct it, but I dont have the time or patience. So I'll make this short and sweet and wait to see how you respond before I take this further.

For starters, it seems to me that you should be looking closely at your diet. You only take in 1/2 of the recommended amounts of nutrients a day? You do realize that RDAs were designed simply to prevent deficiency diseases like scurvy and not to ensure optimum health, right? It is in fact necessary to take in as much as 100x the RDAs for certain vitamins and minerals in order to ensure "optimum health".

If what you say here is true you are at an EXTREME risk for a large number of vitamin and mineral deficiency diseases. I urge you to drastically alter your diet.

This has absolutely nothing to do with protein.

Last edited:
I said I was a vegetarian. I didn't say I didn't eat right.

My doctor often says I'm the healthiest person he'll see that day.

Because of my age, I have a physical twice a year. My test results are nearly textbook perfect. No hypertension or anything.

My joints and eyes have aged but little else.

Your point is? :)

x

No meat. No fish. No eggs or anything made with them.

I do dairy but only up to a point.

I have chocolate milk in the mornings.

x

You said your vitamin/mineral comsumption is less than half of the RDAs. This means that not only do you not eat right, you are at great risk of developing serious porblems due to inadequate nutrient intake. THAT is my point, what is yours?

I dont care what your doctor says, according to thousands of studies, experiments, surveys, etc.(published in hundreds of reputable medical journals worldwide) RDAs fall well short of what we now know is necessary to establish optimum health, and you dont even get half of that.

I'm also willing to bet that you cook your foods and dont eat them raw, correct? This only futher reduces vit/min content and can produce tons of free radicals.

Feel free to look all this up for yourself.....or dont, makes no difference to me.

Last edited:
i smoke weed, drink beer, eat barely-cooked two pounds steaks, fast-food hamburgers and fried chicken. i never get sick, test off the charts on nearly every measure of physical health or fitness you can find and ALSO manage not to self-righteously chastise others for not living the same way i do.

different strokes for different folks man. you being right doesn't make other people wrong.

also, wtf does not drinking water have to do with anything?

You said your vitamin/mineral comsumption is less than half of the RDAs. This means that not only do you not eat right, you are at great risk of developing serious porblems due to inadequate nutrient intake. THAT is my point, what is yours?

I dont care what your doctor says, according to thousands of studies, experiments, surveys, etc.(published in hundreds of reputable medical journals worldwide) RDAs fall well short of what we now know is necessary to establish optimum health, and you dont even get half of that.

I'm also willing to bet that you cook your foods and dont eat them raw, correct? This only futher reduces vit/min content and can produce tons of free radicals.

Feel free to look all this up for yourself.....or dont, makes no difference to me.

I said I eat half the protein.

My point is I've lived a long and full life despite what you think I've done wrong.

Is that not the whole point to begin with? A long and healthy life?

The proof is in the pudding as they say.

x

Arnold Swarzenegger seems pretty healthy (and successful ha) to me. And check out his, at least former, protein intake!
Everybody is different, respect that!

Umm... I believe the health problems facing Americans has less to do with high protein intake and more to do with enormous calorie consumption coupled with a sedentary lifestyle.

I mean come on when people consume fast food, on a daily basis, with many of these meals containing nearly 1500 calories and the only exercise they get is walking to their car, then yeah health problems may come up.

Oh and remember too little protein can cause some pretty bad illnesses like anemia and that one disease that causes distended bellies I believe its called Kwashiorkors disease. So maybe low protein intake works for you but I would rather take my chances with a well balanced diet of protein, fat and carbohydrates with a sensible amount of calories.

Not drinking water seems pretty unhealthy. How old are u BTW?

i try for 300 grams of protein a day minimum, sometimes up to 600 grams. i drink a gallon or two of water daily.

i'm healthy as can be. i had 30 blood tests done and a catscan last year and everything came up 100% normal.

/shrug.

Umm... I believe the health problems facing Americans has less to do with high protein intake and more to do with enormous calorie consumption coupled with a sedentary lifestyle.

I mean come on when people consume fast food, on a daily basis, with many of these meals containing nearly 1500 calories and the only exercise they get is walking to their car, then yeah health problems may come up.

Oh and remember too little protein can cause some pretty bad illnesses like anemia and that one disease that causes distended bellies I believe its called Kwashiorkors disease. So maybe low protein intake works for you but I would rather take my chances with a well balanced diet of protein, fat and carbohydrates with a sensible amount of calories.

Very well said. There are healthy ways to get your/the daily amount of protein, and there are unhealthy ones. But to blame protein itself for the byproducts of unhealthy eating is just wrong.

The myth that protein itself is bad for kidneys when you currently have good kidney function has been disproven.

Eating some forms of protein requires eating a lot of saturated fats- and THATS what leads to bad health. Eating lean chicken, fish or even lean beef shouldn't cause any health problems.

If I ate half of my RDA of protein I'd get very skinny and very weak pretty quickly I imagine...

Not drinking water seems pretty unhealthy. How old are u BTW?

It depends on the individual and their environment.

I live in a coastal rainforest where temps seldom rise above 70. Even in the dog days of summer, it can be 55 degrees here.

How old am I?

Older than anyone reading this. :) I never reveal my exact age to people. My apologies.

x

everyone has there own opinion n that

but i gotta say mine, and I think its discraseful you dont eat meat.

If you were in a plane crash and ended up on a dessert island on your own and had to eat meat in order to survive... you'd probably just die instead PATHETIC IF YOU ASK ME

We are fcuking animals so eat some fcukin MEAT DAMNIT thats wat animals r there for, to fuckin eat. do you think animals give a flying fcuk about humans? no

look at bears for example... give them the chance theyll rip any human in half for no apparant reason.

KILL ALL ANIMALS and eat the fcukin lot. vegetarians makes me sick 2 my stomach we are animals not fcuking herbavores WE ARE EATING, SH1TTING, FCUKIN dirty animals