Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Marijuana Withdrawal Dreams - Experienced - Nightmares on Palm Street

expothead

Bluelighter
I just had a two week holiday to tropical Fiji.

Some of the dreams I had in the absence of pot were the worst i've had in years...

One of them, and the worst, I dreamed I was chewing a sticky lolly that, although long finished, began to stick my teeth together like super glue... unless I continued chewing. I pulled long strands of the lolly material from my mouth continuously building piles of the toffee like substance, complete with fillings, teeth, and at one point half of my jaw! This went on for what seemed like hours interspersed with breaking up with a good friend (which kind of happened in real life anyway a few months ago although not for the reason in my dream - which I forget) and trying to get help from my other friends and old acquaintances/school friends that simply stood around obliviously laughing. even when these so called friends finally fetched a doc for me the doctor just laughed it off and said something to the effect of "well that will teach you to eat sweets".

It was fucking frightening. I awoke eventually, and i was speechless except for the word "Fuck..." for about half a minute. My wife was wondering what the fuck had happened. Funnily enough i didn't have a sore jaw.

Other nightmares also included some nasty personal shit going down with my parents that, in many ways, mirrored an underlying truth in reality.

The night before I actually flew home I dreamed I walked in on a drug smuggling operation at the airport happening in some outside toilet in the carpark!!! The smugglers, dressed in long brown jackets like the one the detective in the ridiculous Pink Panther cartoons wore (which the kids had been watching that night with the same stunned expression i used to many years ago) - were exchanging baggage. One of the smugglers split in a psychopathic mood (although I never actually saw his face), and the other decided not to kill me after a long and anxious chat...

Strangely, i also had two dreams about scoring drugs - and having to outrun/hide from the police in both instances. more weird is that the drug was ecstasy in both cases.

Towards the end of my holiday I must have been getting the hang of the dream shit and actually 'realised' that what was happening was too fucked up to be anything but a dream. I willed myself to wake up... which I did... and it was time to take a piss (from the beer i'd been drinking).

Frankly, i think being in a strange land as well as my Aviophobia (fear of flying), which I can report is still alive and well, had a major influence on these dreams...

Pot brings on a load of psychological issues. Most of which are laid dormant and found in relatives, present or/and past. Simple solution is don't go cold turkey, if you ever have to go a few weeks without just ween yourself off a bit before hand. Everyone reacts different to everything really...

I wish that I could have even slept during my pot withdrawals to even get the nightmares. Intense dissociation and being awake for days is horrible for the psych.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of that right now! Only smoke a lot during summer time. First month or so I stop is quite bad. But, the price we pay I suppose. ;)

I haven't smoked weed in just about 3 weeks. I gotta say, I've been having some incredibly odd dreams lately. Lots of them. I was an everyday smoker for 6 years... and quit cold turkey because I felt as though if I smoked again, I would just fall back into not caring about how much I smoke... and smoking whenever it is there. I want to balance myself and be able to choose the right times to smoke... or the times when it will benefit me the most. I'm not really sure if the end to it matters... Right now I'm mostly doing it as an experiment...

But yeah, goddamn. The Dreams are so intense... and I remember lots of stuff from them. Some of them are weird, some of them are almost good, but weird. And A lot of them are lucid, but I get so caught up and things don't work the way I am looking for them too exactly work. But they go on and on and I find ways out of the things I don't want to be involved with. Sorta tough too explain.

Cool that you posted the thread in the middle of my weed sobriety. Hope things work out for you, and that you can have some less frightening dreams.

Enjoy!

Your not alone with these dreams, apparently it is rather common!

Based on my own personal experiences and others I have talked to I have noticed that many people do not dream when they smoke marijuana. Recently, one of the members of our team quit smoking and noticed a strange anomaly.

He began to have extremely odd dreams. One of the dreams was of him turning into a dragon and battling Voldemort a character from Harry Potter. The others were just as strange, and for 2 to 3 weeks he continued to have nightly weird dreams. Eventually, the intensity of his dreams subsided, but as his dreams quelled my curiosity grew. I decided to do a tad bit of research (a quick google search) on the matter.

Low and behold this is a well-documented withdrawal symptom from smoking cessation, and was actively talked about in forums, blogs, and detox websites. Although, the cause for these flood of vivid dreams has not been researched I wanted to test it out for myself. I quit smoking and had some dreams that my friends double-crossed me, that my dog could fly, and even a dream where I smoked with Justin Bieber.

I went into this experiment with a positive attitude and looked forward to dreaming every night. It was almost like a psychedelic trip every time I slept, literally anything could happen. After a week though my dreams subsided and I resumed my smoking.

My recommendation for those who stop smoking is to mentally prepare yourself for these dreams and look at them in a positive light. Obviously, some dreams can be terrifying, but more times than not I had some pretty crazy dreams that I really enjoyed. It can actually be a fun part of your quitting process, and I would even go as far as to say you should write down your dreams so you can read the absurdity later. However,

If a marijuana user feels the need to undergo drug addiction counseling, then he or she should go by all means.

. There is no harm in getting help when you quit smoking.

Dream On or Not

The Weed Street Journal

bud doesnt cause withdrawal.
amphetamines are a hell of a lot harder to quit than fucking bud.
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You appear to be alone thinking that really(That you get no withdrawal from weed)! It's nothing serious like Speed or Heroin but it does cause insomnia for a bit and according to a lot of people (and I mean thousands of reports if you search Google) odd lucid nightmares/dreams. It affects your nervous system, regular use would mean your nervous system deems that as normality and when you stop you will have an effect quite opposite of being stoned 'cos you're changing from what you have trained your system to think is normality back to what actually is! Not to mention the other chemicals that have and are appearing in weed nowadays other than THC, which must cause something other than the positive effects on our system.
THC
CBD
CBN
Etc....

^^^ The statements you made on pot are not well thought out and completely false.
It's also funny that you said you only smoke during the summer time while people have been smoking every hour for several years and stop cold turkey with relatively no problems.

Withdrawals? I quit cold turkey all the time and just feel bored as shit for a few days. I guess some people just can't handle their shit

I don't think the dreams are any more odd than they normally are, but after smoking pot for a long time you just get used to this nice "falling in a black hole for 8 hours and getting up".
I can't think of a dream I had for the past year I think.

I think that there are still dreams when you smoke pot regulary but you simply can't remember them because major toking time is in the evening, not even knowing how you got into bed / just passing out when you just wanna lay down for a second.

I Haven't been smoking since saturday and oh well my dreams are intense too. Not in a fucked up way, it's just unusual to actually remember some of the shit

haha - well I guess there are some "withdrawal" symptoms, but after a few cold turkey OxyContin withdrawals, everything else seems not so bad (i.e. cigarettes and weed)

Happens to me every time I stop smoking pot after smoking it every day. Cannabis blocks you from dreaming or a least remembering your dreams. it wouldn't suprise me if this is the cause of short term memory problems associated with cannabis. It is almost as if your brain needs to compensate for not being able to dream for however many weeks, months, years and puts it all out there. I like dreaming so it is cool for me, it is like a free trip!

Marijuana can cause withdrawal symptoms. Sure lama, they're nothing like amphetamine or heroin WDs (i assume, i have no experience with them), but it's a pretty well documented thing that does occur to some (not all) people ceasing their pot intake.

I'm dealing with the same thing now. about two months ago I was smoking with some people and passed out - they even claim i was seizing while i was out of it. i'm no stranger to this, it's happened a few times before (sans alleged seizure) but always from excessive amounts of weed. this was by no means an excessive amount, but I hadn't eaten much that day and I had been chain smoking cigarettes for an all-day work thing so I chalked it up to that. I tried smoking a bit the next day by myself and had similar symptoms - my heart was beating erratically, I felt faint and deatched and anxious. Luckily that time i didn't pass out, but i dropped the cigs and caffeine cold turkey and stopped smoking weed for a few weeks. Anyway, I got an EKG because for the next several weeks I had on and off heart palpitations and pains, and as a daily user of (excessive) caffeine, marijuana, nicotine and alcohol I figured I should get checked out. It came back normal but I still have symptoms from time to time. I did some research online and found that most of my symptoms can likely be explained by anxiety, and that anxiety is a primary symptom of marijuana cessation.

Things are a lot better now, but I still get very anxious sometimes or feel like I'm about to pass out for no reason, and the worst part is this occasional feeling that nothing is real. Like I'll look at something and it just won't look "right", it's really impossible to describe. Exercise really helps alleviate the tension, and I highly recommend it. I still smoke now and then to see how it effects me - sometimes I'm fine and sometimes I get palpitations/anxiety and weird headaches. I never really enjoy it like I used to, which is sad. But by far the worst thing about it is that I'm afraid to trip on anything anymore. I have a freshly extracted gram of mescaline that just sits there as the weeks scroll by because I'm afraid to eat it.

Anyway, if you abuse marijuana it will let you know. It will always be a friend of mine, but from now on I'll treat it with more respect. It's not completely without consequence.

Try smoking heavy amounts of bud for 8 years and then quitting cold turkey. Your brain gets used to being high and needs the herb. I'm surprised no one has mentioned appetite problems yet. I couldn't eat right for about 2 weeks. I will chalk it up to heavy amphetamine use while withdrawing off of weed and benzo abuse, but there is for sure a noticeable withdraw from weed alone. Both psychological and physical.

Yes, anxiety is very well documented with weed. I find that anxiety for me typically occurs when I'm already under a lot of stress aand pressure and then I smoke. In any case, I recommend breathing techniques and stretching to help w/ anxiety at any time. Biologically speaking, if you can get yourself to breathe normally and calm down as much as possible,wtithin 3 minutes or so, the accululated stress hormones should get metab olized and you should start feeling better. And of course I agree that exercise iis great, it combats stress hormones and releases endorphins.

It seems you are ignorant towards others who know their own body! If you quit cold turkey ALL THE TIME, then you are not smoking it as much as you are. There are many here saying they get symptoms that could be deemed as withdrawal upon stopping. But as with every drug the symptoms do differ quite radically. It is nothing severe that requires help, but there is something there whether you believe the thousands of people who have them or not!

As for mike.vick, please provide evidence that contradicts what I said? It is purely my hypothesis but many sources would verify similar facts. Maybe not identical but close enough. As for what I said that is false please inform me of this too? It does affect your nervous system, cause insomnia when not stoned, contain all the chemicals I listed and many people here and on many other websites report odd dreams upon stopping! It does help knowing about a substance when disagreeing with facts! Also I don't get anything but hardship sleeping for a few weeks after I stop each year, but as with every drug. I know people who can stop every drug cold turkey and also people who can't. People vary...

Are the above posters serious about marijuana withdrawal??? I've seen people react worse when quitting coffee.
You can start/stop anytime you want, there's very little addiction potential.

I do agree with the vivid dreams after not smoking for a while. Strange phenomenon, really don't know why it happens to everyone.
Last Thursday was my first day not smoking in a month or so, and I had a dream that I was pushing a boat around Boston. When people asked me what I was doing, I said the boat needs gas. Then I had a quick dream that I was plowing a field with a small fork ??

Woke up early and it was the first time I remembered my dreams in months.

nah its just your cannibonoid receptors screaming out because they are suddenly having to rely on only your natural production. a couple of nights of bad sleep and you'll get back to normal.

When due to my work I had to take business trips to other cities for weeks at a time where i suddenly cant score I was in similar trouble.. And as him, i had to experience the ultra-real nightmares and night sweating that can plague you the first few nights.. but after going through this numerous times it has seemed to become easier and for me now it just takes one good sleep and heaps of exercise...

but to the above poster, if you are a Serious smoker as the OP there is definitely a mild withdrawal which manifests itself mainly in bad sleeping and being moody for a couple of days. it can be very hard for those first few nights. Dont liken it to quitting coffee thats absurd.

you guys who dont understand just dont smoke as much for long enough to get to this point?

Last edited:
The words Marijuana and Withdrawals don't belong in the same sentence. I'm sorry, but it's true. THC withdrawals do not exist in physical form. It's all placebo.