• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

A little help / guidance please guys....

PR2

Greenlighter
Hi to the forum,

I was wondering if anyone could read my story + offer a little guidance on what the problem(s) might be + how to try + solve them..........

I'm 31, in good condition, I exercise regularly, dont smoke, dont drink + dont do drugs or supplements. I've been experiencing the following for a few months now-

1. lowered libido (about 25% as strong as I'm usually used to)
2. a total loss of spontaneous erections
3. much less frequent 'night' and 'morning' erections
4. erections that are less hard and less long lasting
5. much less intense sexual pleasure / orgasms

6. general 'flat' feeling, although I wouldn't describe this as 'depressed'
7. not being able to 'look forward' to anything or feel excited about anything

8. whole days where I am 'tired' (but still able to push through the day)
9. feeling very groggy / shitty most mornings upon waking + not feeling rested
10. a decline in dream recall

My doctor hasn't been much help + has prescribed beta-blockers (propranolol) , but I haven't taken them yet due to not being that clued up on them.

The doctor before him gave me prozac but I came off this after 2 weeks as it zombified me + made my sexual issues worse!! My bloodwork is fine + my hormone profile fine also.

Please advise me guys.....

Thanks
PR2

The technical terminology for this is "being in a funk". The remedy, therefore, is to unfunk yourself. Maybe a vacation or some time off is in order?

anyone?

anyone think this may be a low dopamine issue?

PR2

I'd say just general depression also. Prozac really worked for me and the sexual side effects were reduced after a while taking it. Maybe its not the right drug for you - look into alternative SSRIs. Also worth noting is the benefits from SSRIs don't become fully apart for up to a month and to be completely fine after coming off can take a long time (2.5 years for me).

Sounds like general depression/in a funk kind of deal. Try changing up your daily routine some so you have something else to focus on. Plan a mini-vacation for yourself. "Me time" is very, very important to mental health. Take up a new hobby, go see a new movie, etc. Do anything that makes you go "Hey, I cannot wait to do A, B and C next week/month." When you liven your spirit, your mood will follow.

yeah - sounds like "male pattern depression"

depression in men tends to be less emotional, and more about energy levels and libido. but when everything is low for no particular medical/physical reason, it's more than likely depression. maybe talk to your therapist about some non-drug ways of dealing with depression (new activities, break in routine, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc.), as i can definitely relate on how the medication tends to rob you of your personality.

I forgot to mention exercise. When I got depression I started hitting the gym and it helped me feel better...

guys

guys, I dont have much 'stress' in my life really + I've been a regular exerciser (jogging or swimming mainly) for the last 15 years.............

PR2

Stress doesn't have much to do with depression. Exercise was just a suggestion- its certainly not a cure. It just helped me to have something to focus on and aim for.

don't do drugs or drink? what are you doing on bluelight then ;)

why did you get prescribed beta blockers? your symptoms don't really seem related to the symptoms that medication treats...

i'm no expert but I think you have to take antidepressants for longer than 2 weeks to notice a real change. maybe you were taking too high a dose also? there's other treatments you can do for depression besides medication, too... have you ever considered going to therapy?

OP,

As you agethe amount of testosterone in your body gradually ddrops. This natural decline starts after about the age 30 and continues throughout life. There could be other causes of lowered testosterone levels.
Have you had your testosterone levels checked?
You may care to get your hormone levels checked out. Loss of erections is rarely due solely to low testosterone. It would be something to potentially rule out as a factor. Not to say there couldn't be something else entirely.
Measurement of gonadotropins and prolactin may assist in determining hypogonadism/low androgen levels. Erectile Dificiency and hypogonadism are common conditions at your age.iron study, thyroid function tests, and prolactin test may be necessary also. A test of the pituitary for levels of gonadotropin, and thyroid gland, may also display a decrease intestosterone levels.Sometimes testosterone therapy is necessary.
Aslo:
zinc and magnesium and a little selenium supplement may assist you. ....but you really need to have tests performed on your hormones, it could be anything.

Last edited:
Stress doesn't have much to do with depression.

I totally disagree. I've been through depression myself, and I was told numerous times that depression and stress are inexorably linked. It also makes perfect sense.

^^Do you mean enxiety? or a state of mania perhaps? Then depression might be the next phase or the downer. But stress as in a stressful day, does not bring depression. However, inner distress is something else, more emotionally loaded, and depression may combine with it.

^^Do you mean enxiety? or a state of mania perhaps? Then depression might be the next phase or the downer. But stress as in a stressful day, does not bring depression. However, inner distress is something else, more emotionally loaded, and depression may combine with it.

one stressful day isn't going to cause depression, but a constant state of stress (from relationship, workplace, school, etc.) is very likely to lead to depression.

likewise, stress in dealing with normal daily activities is a great indicator of depression in someone who isn't experiencing/noticing the typical emotional aspects associated with it. again, more common in men, as they tend to be more likely to exhibit "atypical" symptoms (although they're only atypical, in my opinion, because a lot of people don't realize that depression isn't just being really really sad).mis

and to OP: on second reading, it may be very beneficial for you to try prozac again, or possibly another depression med, for a longer period of time. the "zombified" feeling sucks, but they tend to take longer than two weeks to really start working, and a few months of chemical support might help you a lot in terms of setting you on course to manage this without drugs in the future.

Last edited: