Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Australian - 29/07/09 'Real-time alert tool should be compulsory'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Real-time alert tool should be compulsory: Pharmacy Guild
Karen Dearne | July 29, 2009

AN online alert tool used to detect and prevent sales of pseudoephedrine should be made mandatory nationwide, and extended to other medications that may be abused, Pharmacy Guild president Kos Sclavos says.
The tool, Project Stop, is used by pharmacists to identify people suspected of diverting pseudoephedrine purchases to the illegal drug trade.

Earlier this month, the Queensland Government mandated real-time electronic reporting of all sales of products containing pseudoephedrine, commonly bought in bulk by criminals as a precursor ingredient in the backyard manufacture of illegal drugs.

Mr Sclavos said pharmacists participating in the program had denied sales on tens of thousands of occasions since Project Stop was released in Queensland in November 2005.

The program has been running on a voluntary basis nationally for the past two years.

"Project Stop is a decision support tool that allows the pharmacist to check whether it is appropriate to hand over the product," he told the National Press Club in Canberra.

"It has worked well in the fight against drug abuse, and it's time for it to be made mandatory nationwide."

The tool could also be used to monitor sales of pharmacy-only medicines containing codeine, and for highly addictive controlled drugs that are only available to people holding a special authority prescription.

"Codeine-based products are safe and effective for minor ailments, but patients can develop dependencies," Mr Sclavos said. "Controlled drugs are subject to recording requirements by federal and state governments, but these reports only get analysed weeks later.

"Pharmacists need to know at the time of dispensing whether it is appropriate to supply those drugs."

Mr Sclavos touted a range of Guild health IT initiatives, including a commitment to near-universal e-prescribing within five years, ahead of its negotiations over the fifth Community Pharmacy Agreement with the federal government.

"Community pharmacy is a $12 billion a year health industry, and about 70 per cent of that comes directly from dispensing prescription medicines," he said. "That's about 250 million scripts a year."

The Australian

Is ephedrine the precursor to speed? If it is, does that mean if ephedrine was OTC rather than psuedo, we would have a speed not an ice "epidemic"?

Or am I completely wrong?

^ You are wrong, ephedrine and pseudoephedrine can be used to make methamphetamine, ice is just a more refined form of methamphetamine and speed is more impure.

Ephedrine and psudo are the same thing, psudo is just synthetic. Speed and ice are the same drug but ice is more pure and speed is cut a fair bit to make it easyer to snort.

I think what jenkem is saying is would you get more Amphetamine rather than Methylamphetamine.

Wish people would stop using as much slang on BL.

...The tool could also be used to monitor sales of pharmacy-only medicines containing codeine...

:( NOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOooooooo :( not my precious codeine!

That said, as technology advances so will means to circumvent said technology. This "e-prescribing" they mention would surely be an easy target for fraud for your average software engineer with a vested interest in cracking the system. %)

I doubt it. It will probably be as tight as an other perscription ie hard to fake.

People will probably just start stealing codeine as well while their stealing psudo. Or more likely, the codeine will just sit on the shelf. The abuse of codeine isnt very wide spread Id think, probably just a hand full of BLers :\

I really dont understand why these ram raiders dont steal all the other scripted stuff as well.

I thought there may be shouts of disapproval from a few BL's on this on judging by the chitter chat on the CWE thread :(

We all hate the idea, but theres there will be nothing we can do but either stop useing or score on the street, codeine or stronger opiates.

Yeah static I don't know why they don't steal other stuff either. Seriously a pharmacy is so full of goodies, I would pay a lot of money to have half an hour in a pharmacy where I could just grab shit.

Pharmaceuticals are under rated.

:( NOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOooooooo :( not my precious codeine!

That said, as technology advances so will means to circumvent said technology. This "e-prescribing" they mention would surely be an easy target for fraud for your average software engineer with a vested interest in cracking the system. %)

Ahhhh shit if that happens then its all fuked. Mite as well stock up then or just turn to Heroin. Thats bullshit.

codeine is useless , i found if u want something bad enough just find a doctor who will prescribe it.

Just because you dont enjoy codeine doesn't make it useless. Hit up the codeine thread and find out just how useful many people on here find it.

It is not the easiest thing in the world to find doctors who are liberal when it comes to handing out narcotics. I am sure there are some out there but its not a walk in the park.

Not to mention the time/money investment in going from doctor to doctor, and the limitted amount of meds you receive, and the constant risk of being caught out as a scammer.

As opposed to walking into the pharmacy, spending $15 and walking out 2 minutes later with a few doses of codeine.

Ephedrine and psudo are the same thing, psudo is just synthetic. Speed and ice are the same drug but ice is more pure and speed is cut a fair bit to make it easyer to snort.

No, actually pseudoephedrine is a structural isomer of ephedrine.

Eph : (1R,2S)-2-methylamino-1-phenylpropan-1-ol

Pse: (1S,2S)-2-methylamino-1-phenylpropan-1-ol

but because during amphetamine synthesis the hydroxyl group is cleaved anyway, the difference is mainly irrelevant and the two are substitutable in the synthetic process.

Ephedrine and psudo are the same thing, psudo is just synthetic.

Pseudoephedrine does occur naturally in a few plants. Pseudo is a diastereomer of ephedrine. As the ephedrine molecule has two chiral centres, a total of 4 isomers can exist. Only two of these; (+) pseudoephedrine aka (1S,2S)-2-methylamino-1-phenylpropan-1-ol as Doctor War stated, and (-) ephedrine can be reduced to produce the sought after d-meth isomer.

It's quite possible that we might see the (-) pseudo isomer used in future cold and flu medications. It is reported to be equally effective as a decongestant, has less CNS activity and, as said, can't be directly reduced to d-meth.