View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man Tries To Swallow Drugs, Gets Choked To Death By Police

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
StopTheDrugWar.org

07/16/2009

Just remember, the drug war is here to protect potential drug users from danger.

The poor man died on the scene with a broken bone in his throat and according to Chief Deputy Ard of the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office, "there's no regret" about what happened. Check out Ryan Grim's chilling interview at the Huffington Post, in which Ard rambles in defense of using these sorts of tactics in the war on drugs.

Inevitably, when police are done investigating their own actions, it will be determined that everyone followed procedure. And that may very well be the case, because police are generally encouraged to choke the hell out of anyone who they suspect of attempting to swallow drug evidence.

The larger question -- and the one no police investigation would dare attempt to address – is whether a rational and humane drug policy would produce outcomes like this. How many among us can watch police literally squeeze the life out of this frightened man and say that justice has been served? How many among us would call that a fair sentence for the crime of possessing and attempting to conceal a small bag of drugs?

The police say they released this footage because they believe it vindicates the officers involved. Yet, in the process, they've indicted the very foundations of the war on drugs itself. Once again, we may watch with our own eyes as our drug laws destroy everything they were supposed to protect.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2009/jul/16/man_tries_to_swallow_drugs_gets_

There is a video of the event on the link directly above this sentance.

Here is the Huffington Post interview about the event mentioned in the article:

Huffington Post

7/13/2009

In one of the most disturbing videos to have emerged from the drug war, a dashboard camera has caught police officers in Louisiana using force on a man who was trying to put a small bag of white powder in his mouth. The man died a short time later at the scene.

A person who answered the phone at the Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office confirmed that the dash-cam video is authentic. A spokesman, though, wasn't immediately available.

The man was apparently attempting to avoid arrest by swallowing the drugs he had on him.

In the video, an officer can be heard repeatedly shouting "spit it out," while he is shown trying to force the man's jaw open. An officer later is heard describing what they found in his mouth as a "plastic bag with white powder."

"Is he breathing?" one officer can be heard asking, after several minutes of attempting to force open his mouth.

"I don't know," says another.

The Livingston Parish Sheriff's Office later said that the officers actions were warranted. "He was appropriate in his actions. He followed departmental protocol in trying to arrest a subject who tried to resist," Chief Deputy Jason Ard told local reporters. [See below for updates.]

Watch the video to see what passes for appropriate:

UPDATE: The Huffington Post spoke with Chief Deputy Ard and asked him about the incident.

"It's not a broken neck," he said. "It was a fractured hyoid bone, which is a small bone in your throat. That's a big difference if you think about it."

Ard said the coroner is expected to say that the cause of death was "basically...his heart condition with the methamphetamine that was found in his system, also ... If your hyloid bone is fractured that doesn't kill you."

HuffPost: "Any regret that this ended in a death?"

"Well, there's no regret. To say there's a regret -- I mean, we regret that someone lost their life, yeah, but the officer was reasonable in his actions. He was trying to arrest someone who didn't want to be arrested. And he was resisting arrest. Are we in a country now where from now on when people don't want to go to jail we just allow them to walk away?"

HuffPost: "It seemed more to me that he was resisting handing over the little baggie of powder. It seemed he was willing to get arrested; he just didn't want to open his mouth."

Ard: "Why would he not want to hand over the powder or substance?"

HuffPost: "Probably didn't want to get arrested, I guess."

Ard: "Thank you. I mean, it all runs together. Everybody's entitled to their own perception, don't get me wrong. You're looking at the video and you're entitled to your own perception. This is not a Rodney King beating, so to speak. This guy -- this deputy did not take his Mag Light out, which was in his back pocket. He tried to use chemical spray. He tried to do everything he could to restrain someone who physically resisted him and continued to disobey his verbal campaigns and you can hear him on it very plainly on the video telling this guy what to do, all he had to do -- lay on your belly and stick your hands flat in front of you and it's done. I didn't see anything that he did -- and we watched this over and over -- and at the end, you see at the end of the video they immediately go into CPR mode as soon as they realize he's having trouble."

HuffPost: "Does this make you reflect at all on the drug war itself, the fact that this guy died over a teaspoon of some drug?"

Ard: "Yeah, it just shows you how desperate some people can be for something, like what we believe to be a bag of methamphetamine. We know that we have a drug problem throughout the world, not only with methamphetamines or cocaine or a prescription medication -- we have it and we do everything we can to deal with it. And these officers who walk the beat on a daily basis do everything they can to keep the streets safer. So short of ignoring the fact the guy was driving under the influence and could go down the road and kill somebody, short of the fact that this guy could've just been let go because he just didn't want to go to jail and didn't want you to get what he had in his hand and we just said 'Okay, you can go.' I mean, where do you draw the line at? ... This was one of those deals where you can see it for yourself. We released it. It's from the start to the finish. The deputy did everything he could reasonably in a reasonable fashion to try to take him to jail.

"He wasn't trying to choke him, he was trying to stop him from swallowing evidence which could potentially kill him."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/13/mans-neck-broken-during-a_n_230703.html

HuffPost: "Does this make you reflect at all on the drug war itself, the fact that this guy died over a teaspoon of some drug?"

Ard: "Yeah, it just shows you how desperate some people can be for something, like what we believe to be a bag of methamphetamine.

The guy wasnt shot and killed while robbing a 711 to support his meth habit. He didnt want to do time for this bag of "what they believe to be methamphetamine" and was strangled to death by a cop's bare hands. I hope that cop gets manslaughter.

"He wasn't trying to choke him, he was trying to stop him from swallowing evidence which could potentially kill him."

:!

This is disgusting, any other person would be charged with murder/manslaughter even if they were trying to prevent them from doing the drugs. Events like this show the war on drugs isn't a figure of speech it is a literal war and there are casulties. Thank you for posting this every drug user needs to know about abuses of power like this to remind them that change is needed sooner rather than later.

Let's protect people from themselves by killing them!
That will save them!

So fucking pointless. The chief sounds like a complete dipshit

Bardo5
I hope that cop gets manslaughter.

I think it would be murder then, not manslaughter.

Manslaughter is more like it suddenly happened because of the sudden appearance of the police.

Murder is more like the cops didn't like this piece of shit meth mouth tryin to jack one of the bussinesses in their district. Time to choke his ass out, and ask questions later.

I think it would be murder then, not manslaughter.

Manslaughter is more like it suddenly happened because of the sudden appearance of the police.

Murder is more like the cops didn't like this piece of shit meth mouth tryin to jack one of the bussinesses in their district. Time to choke his ass out, and ask questions later.

I dont think he would be able to be tried for murder. Unless they could make a case that the man's death/or personal injury was the intent of the officer. And thats not going to fly in court

Something is wrong with a law if the police are permitted to kill while enforcing it.

Sic semper tyrannis

I am appalled. I get sad as it is when people get arrested for drugs - but this is so much worse.

We really need to end this.

Sadly enough cops can get away with killing sometimes when it isn't necessary. And cops should be choking all the pedophiles and serial killers instead of somebody that isn't hurting or affecting somebody else.

It's not murder because he didn't intend to kill the guy. The question is manslaughter. Manslaughter is when you accidently kill someone while commiting another crime, like when you plow over someone while speeding down the road.

Id say in court the cop would get away with it.

Pretty fucking bad

I have seen cops choke so many boys for the same reason, I am not surprised someone got killed. Fucking pigs.

damn, thats fucking horrible. The chief makes himself look so ignorant, trying to play it off like they were SAVING lives. They have to realize there is a problem when the laws THEY put in place to "save lives" actually end up taking innocent ones. Fucking RIDICULOUS!

I've seen this kind of thing up close. A guy was bent over the trunk of a police cruiser, one cop had him in a chokehold, another cop had one hand grabbing his hair and pulling his head up, and was trying to pull the drugs he was trying to swallow out of his throat with his fingers.

It's nihilism- 'we have to bomb the village to save it'. Dead people can't break drug laws, right?

That is so fucked up! I hope this cop gets life in jail but in reality he wont even face disciplinary action from the pigs let alone criminal charges.

That chief deputy is a fucking retard and should be fired for ever attempting to justify this sort of behaviour.

I don't understand the problem with suspects swallowing drugs? They are being detained anyway, they have special rooms and toilets in airports to catch people who swallow drugs why can't they apply that here? It would seem favourable to me than choking a man to death over a little bit of speed.

^
If it was just a little baggie it would have likely opened up in his stomach, unlike the mules at airports who have designed the packaging not to be effected by stomach acid.

If he had eaten the evidence they would have had a much harder time charging him.

Either way it doesn't justify killing him!

I was discussing this with a friend earlier and probably the saddest part about this story is that nobody who doesn't use drugs will care. Most of them will just shrug it off and think he deserved it cause he did drugs.