Votes: 1 11.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
Looks interesting. Wonder what new information will be brought to light, if any.

Are they at least calling the crap he puts out movies now instead of "documentaries?"

I expect a movie that will be good, but unfortunately that will do nothing to keep such a catastrophe from happening again.

Every day during the week I watch CNBC, and for the past few months there's always been one hearing or another of some banking mogul getting grilled by some Congressman, always toned such that the CEO looks like he's on trial. It's bullshit, really; nobody wants to admit that our entire country has whored itself out to the banking system, so after the bailouts go through they trot out this "We're very angry, mister!" crap to give the impression to "Main Street" that they're going to make these monkeys pay. They will not, and slowly but surely a new bubble will wrap itself for our descendants to fuck up. Like the late George Carlin said, enjoy the show.

In short, though I've long admired Moore's work, I don't know what this movie could possibly accomplish aside from highlighting what people already know.

Another one? :\

The fact that Moore gets absolutely destroyed in basically any television debate (heck, even I admit that O'Reilly destroyed him) he gets into just makes him seem like a propaganda puppet who dosen't really know all that much about his topics. His documentaries seem largely geared toward affecting people emotionally, and this typically is effective in our society. But ya, pretty much every film he's made has twisted facts, been trumped by counter-films/literature, etc. Not trying to sound like an elitest or anything, but I'd much rather watch CNBC, read the WSJ, etc. and come to my own conclusions than let some fat man with a baseball cap try to make me "feel bad for people."

i love this fat, baseball hat wearing, propaganda producing man!
for real.
and i can't wait for this to come out... even if it accomplishes next to nothing (besides stirring up liberal bashers).

mods please update title to

film: Capitalism- A Love Story

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1232207/
capitalism_a_love_story_poster.jpg

went to a preview screening tonight full of fellow trade unionists. fucking excellent doco. his best work yet. pertinent. gripping. very fucking moving.

capitalism_a_love_story_poster-420x600.jpg

Absolute trash. Moore's worst documentary so far. Couldn't sit through it. Watched about half of it with my brother, who was equally disinterested before we unanimously decided to turn it off.

0 stars.

^thanks for reminding me. i voted 4/5

i also at times wondered why he'd jump here and there for the first half. it gets to it eventually and i think it's far better structured than his other work.

Does he offer any explanation as to how capitalism has affected him personally?

Because it seems like he's done pretty well within the country/economic system that he seems to despise with such a passion.

I understood his stance against gun control in Columbine (even though his greatest achievement in the film was outwitting an old, senile man) and to some extent his heavily exaggerated critique of the US Health Care system.

But now it's just getting ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned he might as well just film himself taking a shit on the American flag. He probably will eventually.

He looks like a commoner and this is where a lot of his appeal lies. The baseball cap, the clothes, the unkempt hair, etc. He doesn't walk around flaunting his millionaire status, he just hides in his "Hey I'm just a regular guy from Flint, Michigan" disguise and points the finger at other more obvious targets.

Maybe the second half of the film is more redeeming than the first. But, I couldn't be bothered finding out. He's not offering any solutions. He's just criticizing what is arguably one of the better places on the globe to live. No country is perfect and repeatedly pointing out your nations flaws while offering practically nothing constructive whatsoever isn't exactly productive.

Michael Moore is misusing the right given to him by the US. A right that a lot of countries don't have. He is only capable of being this openly critical of his country because of the incredible freedoms that US citizens have. But just because he can, doesn't mean he should. The same goes for the right to bear arms.

I get the strong impression from Moore that he will continue to bitch and moan about the United States as long as people keep paying to hear him do so.

bro, fuck nationalism when the country IS so fucked. his lack of real solutions is an ongoing critique of michael moore, so i just don't expect it.

do you have any specific problem with the content you saw?

Practically all of the content bothered me. The narration stated a number of times "This is capitalism," over footage of particularly unfortunate situations filmed up close and personal and completely out of context.

He attempts to define capitalism by jumping, seemingly randomly between footage of people being evicted from their houses, heavily chopped up speeches from Bush, black and white stock footage of naive housewives in the 50s, etc. But he fails to make any really compelling points. Also I'm starting to get a little tired of his camp, sarcastic, Troy McLure style. I mean, why repeatedly cut to the black and white footage? And, on another note - why interview Wallace Shawn?

You didn't respond to whether or not he addressed the hypocrisy of criticizing the very economic system that made him rich and successful in the second part of the film, so I assume that he didn't. He's a liar and he has (in the past) manipulated the truth in order to achieve celebrity status and personal gain. His films have been littered with misleading information and in some cases, outright lies. He has profited from them greatly. So he is a corrupt capitalist. I'm not saying he's the devil or anything, but he's not a saint either. Yet, he presents himself to be this humble man of the people and at the same time some sort of media vigilante fighting back against the system. But really he's just another profiteer, isn't he?

I'm not promoting nationalism. I'm criticizing a man who is worth over 50 million dollars and who often profits from documenting unfortunate people that he supposedly cares about, while offering no solutions and doing very little to solve the problems he is addressing.

its a d-bag film.

he should just move out of the country.
america would improve.

Practically all of the content bothered me. The narration stated a number of times "This is capitalism," over footage of particularly unfortunate situations filmed up close and personal and completely out of context.

He attempts to define capitalism by jumping, seemingly randomly between footage of people being evicted from their houses, heavily chopped up speeches from Bush, black and white stock footage of naive housewives in the 50s, etc. But he fails to make any really compelling points. Also I'm starting to get a little tired of his camp, sarcastic, Troy McLure style. I mean, why repeatedly cut to the black and white footage? And, on another note - why interview Wallace Shawn?

It's a style of communicating which you simply do not agree with. There is reason for his decisions, and i don't have the time to explain every single cut and shot, but to others many are generally a slightly humourous twist on emphasis.

You didn't respond to whether or not he addressed the hypocrisy of criticizing the very economic system that made him rich and successful in the second part of the film, so I assume that he didn't.

Actually, he covers this hypocrisy in his interviews in the excellent doco "the corporation".

He's a liar and he has (in the past) manipulated the truth in order to achieve celebrity status and personal gain. His films have been littered with misleading information and in some cases, outright lies.

These are cliche and unsubstantiated moore hate bandwagoning sentiments.

He has profited from them greatly. So he is a corrupt capitalist. I'm not saying he's the devil or anything, but he's not a saint either. Yet, he presents himself to be this humble man of the people and at the same time some sort of media vigilante fighting back against the system. But really he's just another profiteer, isn't he?

Shooting the messenger much? No one claims the sun shines out his arse, but the contempt showed to him, based solely on a disapproval of his character/style, are unreasonable.

I'm not promoting nationalism. I'm criticizing a man who is worth over 50 million dollars and who often profits from documenting unfortunate people that he supposedly cares about, while offering no solutions and doing very little to solve the problems he is addressing.

Knowing the problem is half the battle won. If he raised some valid criticisms (which he does IMO), even with a lack of solution, this is still a good thing. See beyond the humour he presents his serious topics with, which most criticism seem to have an aversion to, and then you might see some value in his works.

btw: if your supercliche "take a shit on the flag" comment doesn't scream blind defense of nationalism, i don't know what does.

Last edited:
td: another point i remembered in response to your assertions to moore's greed and corruption. when fahrenheit 9/11 was leaked online, i saw/read interviews with moore who encouraged people to download his film.

the information he presents doesn't necessarily come with a strict price of admission.

These are cliche and unsubstantiated moore hate bandwagoning sentiments.

No they aren't. It has been proven that he has lied/ misrepresented the truth numerous times throughout his career. He is a liar, like it or not.

Some people think the ends justifies the means with Moore but I disagree. He could make his point without compromising the integrity of his message.

There are more votes for 1 star than anything else. I voted 1 only because there was no 0 option. I don't blindly hate Michael Moore. I have my reasons... and I'm not alone, obviously.

Making the observation that Moore is two steps away from shitting on the flag is not an attempt to promote nationalism. There's black and white. And then there's grey. You know?

aint no grey. it's all just black and white really fast :p

Does he offer any explanation as to how capitalism has affected him personally?

It does't matter whether it made him rich or not. He is unselfish in his approach and as objective and intellectual as it gets. You wanna hear Donald Trump talk about capitalism? You wanna hear the 2% of the rich population in america give their opinion on capitalism? or do u wanna hear the majority 98% poor population express their opinions on capitalism. Michael Moore speaks for those 98% poor, and represents them in a great unselfish manner.

As far as I'm concerned he might as well just film himself taking a shit on the American flag. He probably will eventually.

He chooses not to trade humanity for patriotism, like all other great people who have left a mark in this world.