• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Tekkon Kinkreet

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
I just saw this anime, which was done by the same director as Animatrix. It's been criticized as having a thin plot that doesn't grab people, and in a sense I see where this criticism is coming from. But nevertheless the movie emanates a gritty, dark, lush pathos about it that pulls me and and calls me to embrace it, almost like good live drum n' bass.

Tekkon Kinkreet is actually a pretty simple story, that does a whirlwind tour of some of my favorite story premises; it's a gangland drama, a street kids' tale, a film noir, and a magical realist / supernatural thriller all rolled into one, with much more panache than Quentin Tarantino could pull off IMHO.

The backgrounds are AMAZING. The film is worth a watch just for that, and all the intricate detail that's put into it. The city in which the movie takes place makes me achingly nostalgic for the underside of Taipei -- the place is portrayed as dirtier and more run down than anywhere in modern day Japan, but still very recognizably Japanese.

I can't figure out what time period this movie takes place in. The streetcars and Art Deco make me think of prewar Tokyo, but the pop culture touches and graffiti are ultra-modern. The anachronisms and odd juxtaposition of many different languages and scripts on various signs adds to the psychedelic vibe of the film.

All in all a good film. One with a lot of rewatch value, just because of the background detail. A good movie for coming down after a drugged night out.

they animated 1(or 2?) of the batman:gotham knight series as well. i'm going to watch this film soon my friend is crazy about it.

just added it to my blockbuster list, thanks for this thread.

on a side note (referring to joe's post) Audrey Kawasaki is one of my favorite artists.