• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The price of legalizing pot is too high

Acid Eiffel

Bluelight Crew
The price of legalizing pot is too high

Deterrence is preferable to encouraging marijuana use, which would follow alcohol and tobacco in soaring costs to society.

By Kevin A. Sabet
June 7, 2009

Last month, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger reignited a heated debate when he called for a civilized discussion on the merits of marijuana legalization. Indeed, the governor was responding to new public opinion polls showing greater interest in the policy idea -- and with the mounting problems associated with the drug trade in Mexico and here at home, it is hard to blame anyone for suggesting that we at least consider all potential policy solutions.

One major justification for legalization remains tempting: the money. Unfortunately, however, the financial costs of marijuana legalization would never outweigh its benefits. Yes, the marijuana market seems like an attractive target for taxation -- Abt Associates, a research firm, estimates that the industry is worth roughly $10 billion a year -- and California could certainly use a chunk of that cash to offset its budget woes in the current economic climate.

What is rarely discussed, however, is that the likely increase in marijuana prevalence resulting from legalization would probably increase the already high costs of marijuana use in society. Accidents would increase, healthcare costs would rise and productivity would suffer. Legal alcohol serves as a good example: The $8 billion in tax revenue generated from that widely used drug does little to offset the nearly $200 billion in social costs attributed to its use.

In fact, both of our two already legal drugs -- alcohol and tobacco -- offer chilling illustrations of how an open market fuels greater harms. They are cheap and easy to obtain. Commercialization glamorizes their use and furthers their social acceptance. High profits make aggressive marketing worthwhile for sellers. Addiction is simply the price of doing business.

Would marijuana use rise in a legal market for the drug? Admittedly, marijuana is not very difficult to obtain currently, but a legal market would make getting the drug that much easier. Tobacco and alcohol are used regularly by 30% and 65% of the population, respectively, while all illegal drugs combined are used by about 6% of Americans. In the Netherlands, where marijuana is de facto legalized, lifetime use "increased consistently and sharply" after this policy shift triggered commercialization, tripling among young adults, according to data analysis from the Rand Corp. We might expect a similar or worse result here in America's ad-driven culture.

An honest debate on marijuana policy also carefully considers the costs of our current approach. Arrest rates for marijuana are relatively high, reaching about 800,000 last year. Though these numbers are technically recorded under the category of "possession," the story that is seldom told is that hardly any of these possession arrests result in jail time (that is why former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani made headlines when he aggressively arrested public marijuana users and detained them for 12 to 24 hours in the 1990s).

One of the most astute minds in the field of drug policy, Carnegie Mellon's Jonathan Caulkins, formerly the co-director of Rand's drug policy research center, found that more than 85% of people in prison for all drug-law violations were clearly involved in drug distribution, and that the records of most of the remaining prisoners had at least some suggestion of distribution involvement (many prisoners plea down from more serious charges to possession in exchange for information about the drug trade). Only about half a percent of the total prison population was there for marijuana possession, he found. He noted that this figure was consistent with other mainstream estimates but not with estimates from the Marijuana Policy Project (a legalization interest group), which, according to Caulkins, "naively ... assumes that all inmates convicted of possession were not involved in trafficking." Caulkins concluded that "an implication of the new figure is that marijuana decriminalization would have almost no impact on prison populations." This is not meant to imply that marijuana arrests do not have costs, but rather, that these concerns have been highly exaggerated.

Finally, legalizing marijuana would in no way ensure that the most vicious drug-related problems -- violence, economic-related crime, street gang activity -- would disappear. Most of those problems stem from the cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine markets. Marijuana's share of the black market is modest (the cocaine market is three times larger), and the money that is spent on the drug is spread over so many users and distributors that few are working with amounts that motivate or encourage high levels of crime.

Moving beyond the simplistic and unrealistic option of legalization, what can we do to reduce marijuana use and the costly harms it brings? Increasing the ferocity of enforcement isn't the answer, but increasing its potential for effectiveness through deterrent methods might be. Programs like Project HOPE in Hawaii, which perform regular, random drug testing on probationers and others and implement reliable, swift (but short) sanctions for positive screens, have shown remarkable success. Innovative solutions, grounded in sound research on prevention, treatment and enforcement, present the shortest route out of marijuana-related costs. But an open market for the stuff? That doesn't pass the giggle test.

Kevin A. Sabet worked at the Office of National Drug Control Policy in the Clinton and Bush administrations. He is currently a consultant in private practice.

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-oe-sabet7-2009jun07,0,5717495.story?track=rss

wow....i stopped reading it half way through because its just full of bullshit.

"Kevin A. Sabet worked at the Office of National Drug Control Policy in the Clinton and Bush administrations. He is currently a consultant in private practice."

Lying cocksucker. What do you expect from a pawn of the drug war?

It is bad form to compare commercialized addictive drugs (Alcohol + Tobacco) to a drug that, from what I gather from the legalization/decriminalization arguments, wouldn't be advertised in a similar fashion, and doesn't cause the same damage as alcohol and tobacco.

These pro-Drug War types act like the floodgates on Marijuana use aren't already open. All of the problems associated with Marijuana use that he says will follow decriminalization/legalization are already here: Cannabis is the most widely used illicit drug.

I don't think that it would make it easier to get for children. My dealers never carded me.

While there is probably some truth to some of these points the article is pretty weak. It only focuses on a few parts of the debate. What about the industry that would be created? What about the gang violence that is associated with the black market?

The article claims that the costs associated with marijuana use would increase and become even more of a burden on society but they don't state how much it already costs.
Accidents would increase, healthcare costs would rise and productivity would suffer. Legal alcohol serves as a good example:...
I wonder where they get these "facts". Like Tchort said, how does alcohol serve as a "good example" for comparison? It really doesn't.

All of this aside it should come down to our freedom. Why do we not have the choice to consume a substance that has been proven time and time again to be less harmful than either alcohol or tobacco?

Even if the cost figures are correct it is irrelevant. Cannabis prohibition is an assault on the bill of rights and an offense against basic human dignity. Human beings should have cognitive liberty.

There is never a just reason to put cost ahead of freedom!

It all comes back to the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act.

Drug Prohibition was originally (up until the Controlled Substances Act of 1970) a bureaucratic taxation policy, not a ban on drugs or prohibition of their use/sale.

It was known at the beginning that it would be ruled Unconstitutional to try an outright ban on consumption of certain drugs.

The primary reason for legalization should be personal freedom. Aren't we the sovereign of our own bodies? The government has no business telling people what they can put into their own bodies. That was the job of my parents when I was a child. The government allows women to murder their unborn babies but I can't smoke a god-given plant to relax in my own home?

Seriously why would you even post this 'article' obviously wrote by some ignorant retard that has no idea what marijuana actually is... lol, oh alcohol causes all these problems and marijuana will too - this statement is bullshit, alcohol is a damn poison; thats why it causes problems. Marijuana is just a flower, it doesn't kill anyone.

Drugs shouldn't be legalized because they're very profitable and one of the few things the government has yet to hijack, people need a way of raising private capital to liberate themselves.
Other than that I can't really see any argument against legalization, maybe from a statist perspective the control gained from the criminalization is more profitable than the control gained through legalization, but I'm not sure about that. Don't exactly expect any logic in statist behaviour though.

That article is pretty fucking shit. The author clearly is a biased idiot, but I will admit this article was better than most anti marijuana legalization articles, atleast he didn't resort to the 'gateway drug' argument.

The supposed soaring health costs is just bullshit, weed really doesn't cause too many health or social problems and so many people smoke dope already the majority of problems that could ever be caused by weed already are being caused.

He states not many people go to jail for just possession, but what about people selling pot, they wouldn't be selling it if it was legal unless they had a licence and were running a legit business. Also just because someone doesn't recieve jail time does not mean their life has not been sevrely impacted by a criminal record. Nobody seems to consider the loss in productivity caused by otherwise extremely capable individuals being refused any good jobs because they have a criminal record or failed a drug test.

I don't think the guy is a retard.

Working in drug policy issues for more than a decade, Kevin Abraham Sabet, Ph.D., 29, is one of the world’s foremost experts in the field of drug policy. Kevin received his Ph.D. in Social Policy at Oxford University as a Marshall Scholar. As one of the youngest senior staff members at The White House, he served as the chief speechwriter for drug policy in both the Clinton (2000) and Bush (2003-2004) Administrations. He is a trusted opinion-editorial writer for major North American and European newspapers and his research is regularly published in academic journals. He recently left his research position as a National Institute on Drug Abuse fellow in New York City and is currently a consultant in private practice, working on drug policy initiatives for the United Nations, local governments, and various non-governmental organizations. He is the founder of three non-profit organizations in the field of drug policy.
How many of you were writing White House speeches at 24~25? How many of you have your Ph.D.? Not that you guys are retards but to call this guy one is just ignorant. It's always good to get a feel for what the "other guys" are putting out there, especially if there may be some truth to what they are saying. I'm all for legalization now but if someone can show me that it's not the best thing for society than I'm probably not going to be for it much longer.

I read that this guy has debated the president of Students for Sensible Drug Policy, Kris Krane but I can't find any transcripts of it. I've e-mailed Mr. Krane to see if we can get something like.

I haven't been too high to drive in ages...

And even if someone were too high to drive, I assure you they do not want to try it.

These pro-Drug War types act like the floodgates on Marijuana use aren't already open. All of the problems associated with Marijuana use that he says will follow decriminalization/legalization are already here: Cannabis is the most widely used illicit drug.

ta-daa