• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NJ medical marijuana News & some FUCK YOU's!

FrostyMcFailure

Bluelighter
Medical marijuana bill gains support
Assembly panel passes version listing diseases
Friday, June 05, 2009
BY SUSAN K. LIVIO
STATEHOUSE BUREAU

The effort to allow severely ill New Jerseyans to use marijuana to ease there pain gained momentum yesterday as an Assembly committee cleared a revamped bill that would also set strict limits on who can grow, distribute or get the drug.

The bill, which would make New Jersey the 14th state to allow marijuana use for medical purposes, includes restrictions lawmakers added in response to criticism that a measure passed earlier this year by the state Senate was too lax, allowing patients to grow their own.
Advertisement

Assemblyman Reed Gusciora (D-Mercer), one of the sponsors, said, "When all other medical conventional treatments do not work, this will at least give an opportunity for patients and their doctors to explore other methods of treatment, but in a responsible way."

The bill cleared the Assembly Health Committee despite opponents' arguments that legalizing marijuana for any use sends the wrong message to young people.

The vote prompted a wave of applause and a chorus of "thank-yous" in the packed committee room.

The amended New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act would not permit people to grow their own marijuana, instead creating licensed "alternative-treatment centers" to produce the drug.

It also has tougher restrictions on who would be allowed to legally acquire marijuana. The Senate bill would have made people eligible based on symptoms, such as chronic pain and muscle spasms. The bill approved yesterday restricts eligibility to people with specific diseases.

The qualifying illnesses are cancer, multiple sclerosis, HIV/AIDS, seizure disorder, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and "any other medical condition" approved by the state health department, according to the bill.

"This bill will be the most restrictive in the United States," said Sen. Nicholas Scutari (D-Union), sponsor of the original bill. He admitted this version is stricter than he would have liked, "but this is real progress. ... We do owe a special duty to our ill and infirm."

Assembly Health Committee chairman Herb Conaway (D-Burlington), a physician, repeatedly said the bill will pass, although their may be more changes.

Assembly panel passes version listing diseases

SPEAKING IN FAVOR
Diane Riportella of Egg Harbor Township, sitting in a wheelchair, wept during yesterday's hearing as she described how the fatal amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, "has taken away my life and my independence."

"It saddens and enrages me that I have to fight for the right to use and safely access the medicine that relieves my suffering," she said.
Advertisement

Nancy Fedder of Hillsborough told the committee she has secretly acquired the drug to help her cope with severe leg and back pain caused by multiple sclerosis. She consumes only a modest amount through an inhaler, "without getting high, and without disrupting my work" as a database programmer.

Nearly a dozen law enforcement officers, school officials, family and anti-drug activists urged the committee to postpone the vote to allow more time for people to digest the redrawn legislation.

Barbara McCullough, a school counselor and member of the Association of Student Assistance Professionals-New Jersey, said the committee ought to be more concerned with how kids perceive this bill. "The message they are getting is that marijuana is already legal -- that's what they tell me," she said.

After the vote, Mount Olive police officer Joseph T. Abrusci, a member of a group of 300 law enforcement officers trained to detect drivers under the influence, said the bill still concerns him because it does not say physicians should recommend medical marijuana as a last resort when legal drugs have failed. He worries the roads will be more crowded with unfit drivers.

"There are a lot of loopholes," Abrusci said.

The measure would require a licensed physician with whom the patient has an existing relationship to first recommend medical marijuana. The state Department of Health and Senior Services would then have to give its approval before the patient could obtain up to one ounce of marijuana per month. It also would require people approved for medical marijuana to personally get it from a producing center, or have a courier deliver it to them.

The panel's vote on the revised bill (A804/S119) was 7-1 vote with three abstentions. It now advances to the Assembly, and would then have to return to the Senate before it can be considered by Gov. Jon Corzine.

Susan K. Livio may be reached at [email protected] or (609) 989-0802.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-14/1244174710241290.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

Cant grow your own?! Are these people really that fucking stupid? I sure hope not considering there NJ reps(not much unlike myself =P)

I give it a year or a few til it changes to grow your own.

p.s.
Joseph T. Abrusci
After the vote, Mount Olive police officer Joseph T. Abrusci, a member of a group of 300 law enforcement officers trained to detect drivers under the influence, said the bill still concerns him because it does not say physicians should recommend medical marijuana as a last resort when legal drugs have failed. He worries the roads will be more crowded with unfit drivers.

Dude, seriously.. Your a complete dumb ass with no IQ(maybe in the negatives?) if you honestly think what your speaking truth.

I got this problem where people with major cases of gonorrhea of the mouth happen to really erk me. Also, please stop wasting my tax dollars at Dunkin Doughnuts. Do some research before you open your mouth on a subject you know little to or nothing about.
Your a straight (well paid?)pawn for the pharmaceuticals just like their lobbyists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhpVzN0ik8&feature=related
Running from the cure part 3, bitches!

Last edited:
thank god that someone is trying to stop this terrible message
from reaching our children.

I mean, making marijuana a legit legal medication
would be like saying to them "Go out there and shoot some
heroin." Of course the drugs that are already legit legal
medications such as oxycontin, vicodin, morphine, dilaudid, etc.
which are virtually the same thing as heroin in terms of effects,
would NEVER send a message to kids that it is okay to do heroin and
other drugs, because these medications are pills. only a dangerous
plant such as marijuana could send such a horrible and terrifying
message to our precious little children, all of whom are probably going to
grow up and realize that we are full of shit anyway :)

I get "chronic pain and muscle spasms" just listening to the BS from politicians. They all self-medicate with addictive deadly tobacco and alcohol without a doctor's prescription. What's wrong with a little cannabis for an adult to relax at home? Hypocrites.

Hypocrites.
thats an understatement, these people are ignorant Skunts for refusing to look at science. The dictionary term would be "Pot Nazis"

thank god that someone is trying to stop this terrible message
from reaching our children.

I mean, making marijuana a legit legal medication
would be like saying to them "Go out there and shoot some
heroin." Of course the drugs that are already legit legal
medications such as oxycontin, vicodin, morphine, dilaudid, etc.
which are virtually the same thing as heroin in terms of effects,
would NEVER send a message to kids that it is okay to do heroin and
other drugs, because these medications are pills. only a dangerous
plant such as marijuana could send such a horrible and terrifying
message to our precious little children, all of whom are probably going to
grow up and realize that we are full of shit anyway
Hilarious