• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Indestructable Water Bottle, Plastic Worries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAdjustment

Bluelighter
Long time reader, not much of a poster. I am considering purchasing an "indestructible water bottle" however I am worried about plastic leaching into my water/protein mixes. It's constructed of Co-polyester which I read a little bit online that it is better health-wise than traditional water bottles however almost all research I read was corporate sponsored and trying to sell the bottles, I didn't find any hard evidence.

Although this isn't the indestructible water bottles, I came across this:

Many Nalgene water bottles and other hard plastic sport water bottles are made of polycarbonate (#7 on the bottom) , which may leach Bisphenol A, an estrogen-like chemical. Canada is considering a ban of products containing Bisphenol A (BPA) and a new American study links it to breast cancer and early puberty, and is particularly concerned about the effect on babies. Others have raised concerns about the effect of feminizing hormones on men, such as breast enlargement or dropping semen counts. At the same time, sport water bottles are ubiquitous and we don't want people going back to buying bottled water. What should you do? Time to nix the Nalgene? We looked at our past posts and the latest reports, and suggest the following.
Source: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/bpa-in-water.php#ch02

So my question is: does anyone have any insight on whether this water bottle will be hazardous to my health? I do plan to use it everyday.

Nalgene bottles are made out of Lexan. I don't know much about that plastic but I switched mine out with a metal water bottle.

I know that HDPE is used in medical implants so generally speaking plastics #1(PE) and #2(HDPE) I feel the safest using. This isn't based on any concrete data I've seen. #1 does leave a plastic taste if I leave the water sitting too long. I don't know if any of these can contain Bisphenol. Just get a metal one and give yourself peace of mind.

New Nalgene bottles do not contain BPA and they specifically advertise them as such. If you have an older bottle, I'd recommend ditching it.

I have a stainless steel water bottle called a Klean Kanteen. It makes me feel cool and hip :)
K40PPL_cart_preview.jpg

from what i remember, the whole deal about plastic leeching BPA, how much, and if it will affect babies/people is really shaky. i think they only have a handful on actual human trials that don't really prove anything. but, if you wanna be safe, I would go with the metal one as well. I also have one and it works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.