• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Notice a difference after taking omega-3 fish oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
I've been hearing from several people on this forum that taking fish oil is really good idea.

I just want to hear: Have you actually noticed a difference in your functioning since you started taking it? Or do you just take it because you hear it's good for you...

I am considering spending money on some fish oil or something, but I want to know if it's actually worth it before I do.

I've noticed that it helps stop joint/tendon pain from weight training. Also my knees feel better after a hard run. This may not be entirely the result of Fish oil since I take other supplements. But after stopping and then starting them again I can say they do work. Oh and I don't know if this is a proven benefit but it helps my skin too.

As for the increase in brain functioning thing, its hard to say.

I dont "feel" anything. But the fact that i rarely get sick helps me believe that my diet and supplementation is working.

I didnt really notice any difference. My doctor actually told me it can cause bleeding. I don't really take it anymore for those two reasons. But believe what you wanna believe. It's all opinion.

the bleeding is from the blood-thinning effect of the fish oil, i think

so if you get a wound it will be slower to clot.

I take a few grams of fish oil everyday, and I dont really notice anything. A lot of the benefits aren't supposed to be immediate though, so it's all good. :)
Besides, fish oil is only 1 of many supplements I take during the day.

I don't know if it is working, but I take organic flax seed oil simply because I hear much praise of omega 3's positive effects on mood.

the bleeding is from the blood-thinning effect of the fish oil, i think

so if you get a wound it will be slower to clot.

This is true. Your red blood cells have a reduced tendency to stick to each other resulting in slower blood clotting. The last time I cut myself shaving, I bled like a stuck pig. That reduced stickiness is also what helps prevent plaque buildup in your arteries. Given that I have a family history of heart disease, I'll take the slower blood clotting for reduced heart disease risk any day.

I have noticed an average of a 10 point drop in my blood pressure since I began taking fish oil.

Okay, so far I'm not convinced of anything. Though Rabbi mentions drop in blood pressure, that's not what I'm looking for. My blood pressure is normal, and I'm 125 pounds.

I guess what I'm looking for is
improvement in cognitive function
increased joint health
increased energy

Okay, so far I'm not convinced of anything. Though Rabbi mentions drop in blood pressure, that's not what I'm looking for. My blood pressure is normal, and I'm 125 pounds.

I guess what I'm looking for is
improvement in cognitive function
increased joint health
increased energy

then get out and excercise more, there is no supplement you can take that will do more than running a mile every day, most supplements are innefective anyways
although I understand that fish oil is useful, but I just eat the actual fish, it tastes better ;)

fish oil is useful, but I just eat the actual fish, it tastes better ;)

Yeah but you can't pop a couple trout in the morning and head off to work. Well you could but that just doesn't fly with me.

make sure to get high grade pharm oil (should say on label its pharmaceutically distilled or some such)

I take 3-4 grams a day and notice a definite improvement in almost all aspects. I notice primarily an improvement in cognition (from the DMAE found within the oil I think): more vigilant, sharper, better memory recall

its hard to say physically especially now cause I'm on a good many drugs that boost physical strength/recovery

Hmmm what if it says "Molecularly Distilled"? I just bought some "NOW" Omega-3 Softgels with 680mg in each. (360mg EPA, 240mg DHA and 80mg other)

Wait... 3-4 grams per day!? I heard that you only need about 1000mg a day.

3-4 grams a day spread in two doses coming earlyish in the day

like 9am and 1pm

The fish i eat i dont think is considered "oily". Namely bream and snapper. Thats why its good to supplement fish oil.

Last edited:
I am not sure but I continue to take fish oil capsules and flax oil daily. Like my daily green tea (I can't feel the antioxidants working) but it can't hurt to keep it up.

I take flaxseed in the bottle. This thread reminds me to get moar! =D

I contribute the flaxseed to some of my weight loss a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.