• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need help making a new weight training program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaportrails

Bluelighter
So I've finally decided to get back into lifting again. It's probably been around three years since I hit the weight room. I'm a 28/m, I'm 6'1 and weigh 300lbs.

A bit of background before I solicit your advice...

When I was 25, I clocked in at about 265lbs. After hitting the gym, I started an intense training schedule and dropped nearly 60lbs in 6 months. The result is that I weighed 207lbs and had a body fat % of 15%. I was in the best shape of my life. The BMI still told me I was obese and I should weigh about 180? I didn't think dropping another 27lbs was a good idea because I was already quite fit and muscular so I tried to maintain. Well, my maintenance schedule fell to the wayside and slowly I began to gain weight again. I drank a lot of beer and played a lot of Warcraft. Fast-forward three years later and now you have me.

Now, people say I carry my weight very well. Nobody believes me when I tell them I weigh 300lbs. I know I shouldn't, but I checked the BMI and it told me I was morbidly obese! For the last two years I've played volleyball 1-2x a week. For the past month I've also been running about 2.5 miles 3x a week. I've also switched to diet drinks to mix my booze with, and I've cut down on the binge eating. The result is that my clothes are fitting nicer, but I'm not really losing any weight. I'm still stuck at 300lbs and this running is giving my terrible shin splints because I keep pounding my poor legs with all this weight doing high-impact cardio.

This is why I want to start a lifting routine again to burn fat. The cardio is helping with my clothes and energy levels but I'm not shedding the weight.

This is where you come in.. I'd like to make a schedule that I can print out and take with me to my personal trainer. This will have all the exercises I want to do. I will simply have him take me through the motions once or twice. This will save me lots of time and confusion because I already have a lot of experience weight training, and I want to come prepared.

This is what I need...

- An 8x11 spreadsheet-like list where I can fill in the weight and amount of reps, with columns denoting the date.

- A 2 or 3 day split which includes the following isolation: Forearms, arms, shoulders, back, legs, and chest. An example would be:

Day 1 --- Shoulders, Back, Arms
Day 2 --- Forearms, Shoulders, Chest

- 3 exercises that isolate those areas mentioned. So on a typical day I might do 3 exercises for chest, 3 for shoulders, and 3 for forearms.

- The name of those exercises and a brief description of how they're done.

- Focus on either free weights, or machine weights. My facility has everything. It's huge.

I know this is asking a lot, but if someone could point me to a free website, or come up with a schedule that I can plug into a spreadsheet of my own, I'll be extremely grateful.

Thank you for your time.

To clarify, what I really need is the name of 3 exercises that isolate all the parts mentioned, whether they're free weight or machine, and a brief description.

If you know of a good spreadsheet, that's great, otherwise I'll just make one myself.

First, BMI is garbage. It is a logarithmic function of height and weight that does not take build into account. Unless you are unbelievably fat right now, there is no way you can be 180 and healthy.

Second, I think you need to revisit your training goals. A two day split for upper body and then one for lower body is off. Things like your forearms do not need to be isolated. I promise, if you're doing pull ups, deadlifts and cleans, your forearms are getting plenty of work. Working shoulders, arms and chest separately is also a bad idea since you're working shoulders on each day which prevents proper recovery.

As I do with each of my clients who are looking to begin a strength program, I recommend that you spend the first 12 weeks doing Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. There is a spreadsheet built at http://www.scribd.com/doc/3382978/Starting-Strength-Logbook-Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.