• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

fish oil (omega 3) and fish allergies

Status
Not open for further replies.

2oclockbeanfiend.2

Bluelighter
Hi,
I've been told by many people that fish oil (omega 3) is very beneficial, but I am allergic to fish (freshwater and saltwater.) Oddly enough, I am not allergic to most seafood (shrimp, crab, lobster), although I get the same reaction from scallops as I do from fish. Now, my allergic reaction isn't particularly severe, I get some uncomfortable swelling in my throat, but more of a really just an annoyance, not life-threatening or anything like that. What I'd like to know is, does anyone have a similar allergy that has taken fish oil supplements and if so how did you react?

Thanks,
Beanfiend

I dont have any allergies that I'm aware of, so I cant help you with that, but you can get n−3 from other sources, like flax seeds for example.

If your allergy is not severe, why not just try taking fish oil and see what happens? It might have some allergens dissolved in it, but it might not.

If you cannot take fish oil, then look for algae (which is where the fish get their omega 3s from) EPA & DHA supplements. You might have to order them online. Or if you are too cheap, just eat flax.

I dont have any allergies that I'm aware of, so I cant help you with that, but you can get n−3 from other sources, like flax seeds for example.

But plant sources only have ALA. Fish has EPA and DHA, which ALA is converted into by humans, but not at an adequate pace for most people. However, flax has more healthful compounds than ALA so it is a good idea to eat anyways.

You can get flax seed oil instead of fish oil- Or flax seed/meal.....
I'm not sure if there are other plant based sources of omega 3'sother than flax but i would look into that.

I'm not sure if there are other plant based sources of omega 3'sother than flax but i would look into that.
There are several, in fact flax seeds dont even have the most n−3 by weight. Chia seeds and kiwifruit both have more by weight. Walnuts are also a great source of n−3s.

Delta- Im sorry I just looked back thru here and saw you had already mentioned flax!

I have seen chia seeds but what are they?
Do they have any flavor? Or are they to be taken in capsule?

Delta- Im sorry I just looked back thru here and saw you had already mentioned flax!
No worries :)
I have seen chia seeds but what are they?
Do they have any flavor? Or are they to be taken in capsule?
Honestly I dont know. If they taste bad(or just dont get along with your palette), you can get the oil I'm sure but eating the seeds raw or prepared in some way has other benefits...like fiber for example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chia_seed

Get the vegan algae supplements. As mentioned earlier, fish derive omega-3 from algae. What is important is that the supplement has EPA and DHA

Thanks very much, everyone. Sorry, alot has been going on lately, so I completely forgot about this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.