• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Should School Districts Drug-Test Teachers?

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
One could argue that some jobs — painting, writing, being a rock star — are better performed under the influence. But other jobs should clearly be given only to the perpetually sober: We don't want our railroad operators or nuclear-plant employees to be smoking up on the job. So it seems appropriate that U.S. employees in those high-risk positions are routinely subjected to random drug testing.

But what about people who work in less perilous, if equally unpredictable, environments — say, with children in public schools? Should teachers be randomly drug tested too? Yes, says Linda Lingle, the Republican governor of Hawaii, where the teacher's union agreed in 2007 to negotiate the terms of a new drug-testing program in exchange for higher wages. Now, some Hawaii teachers are resisting. (So far, no drug tests have been administered.) The contentious issue of teacher testing has also become the subject of recent court cases in North Carolina and West Virginia, where educators argue that the cost and time taken by random tests would be better applied in the classroom.

But one important question hasn't been addressed so far in the legal proceedings: Does random drug testing actually reduce drug use?

Probably not. No studies I found have looked at the specific issue of whether random drug tests affect substance use among teachers. But several studies have examined the impact of random testing in another school population — students. In the most comprehensive study on the subject to date, a 2003 University of Michigan study involving 894 middle and high schools found that random student drug testing tends to reduce marijuana use slightly (by about 5%) but actually increase the use of other drugs (by about 3%). The authors theorize that drug-using kids may think that prescription and other drugs are harder to detect by urinalysis, so they switch from pot to something else. (This assumption is usually incorrect — most drug tests capture everything from heroin to Valium — although certain lesser-used drugs like the anesthetic ketamine aren't detected by the usual tests.)

Even after the University of Michigan authors controlled for socioeconomic differences among students and schools, they found no statistically meaningful difference in drug-use rates among students who attended schools that randomly drug tested and those who didn't. In short, kids weren't deterred from using drugs even when they knew they might be surprised one day with an order to pee in a cup.

Still, the behavior of high-school kids doesn't neatly correspond to that of their teachers — they may well change their behavior in response to random tests. Which leads to a more fundamental question: If we are serious about drug enforcement, why not require every American to be tested randomly, or at least every American who comes into contact with children?

One answer is cost. In the West Virginia drug-testing case, which is currently working its way through the federal court system, Judge Joseph Goodwin of the U.S. District Court noted that it costs about $44 a pop to do urine tests, which would cost the West Virginia school district in question about $37,000 a year. (Here's a PDF of Goodwin's preliminary injunction against drug testing.) That same $37,000 could easily pay for a full-time teacher, meaning that drug testing would have to be sufficiently valuable to displace an entire teaching position.

But the evidence suggests that drug use among teachers is not exactly a pressing problem. In 2007, the Department of Health and Human Services published a major study showing that people who work in education rank 18th out of 19 listed professions in the use of illicit drugs. (Those who work in food service, arts, retail and "information" services — like, um, journalists — were among the major offenders.) Only 4% of educators reported use of illegal drugs in the previous month, compared to 14% of construction workers, who work in a much more dangerous environment. The 4% figure for teachers is still too many, but it doesn't indicate an epidemic of intoxicated teachers that would justify a huge expenditure to curb.

What no one argues against — even attorney Michael Simpson of the National Education Association — is that teachers who are behaving erratically should be tested when their bosses suspect drug use. "If an administrator has a reason to believe a person is under the influence, the school should have the right to test," says Simpson. "But our members feel it's demeaning and unprofessional to make a teacher without suspicion go into a bathroom."

The matter won't be resolved without further studies on whether random drug testing actually reduces drug use, and we may get them under an administration less ideologically opposed to drug reform than President Bush's. But the data so far suggest that random drug testing is a costly, ineffective solution to a non-problem.

-------------------------------------
Thursday, Feb. 05, 2009, Time Magazine
Should School Districts Drug-Test Teachers?
By John Cloud

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1876840,00.html

I have always believed that hiring and promotions should be based on skill and performance rather than what someone does on their free time. If they are getting the work done, then what is the problem? And in the cases of promotions, if one's performance merits getting a raise, then why should their be a drug test? This is very common in many companies any time an individual gets a promotion. If they are doing well enough to secure a promotion, should what they choose to unwind with matter. Some people don't like alcohol, should they not be able to be altered?

I believe we need to work far more on detection methods for people currently under the influence of drugs. If your teacher walks in baked as hell then that might be a problem, but if your teacher smoked the night before and then gets fired for testing positive how did that act have any affect on their role as an educator?

I have always believed that hiring and promotions should be based on skill and performance rather than what someone does on their free time. If they are getting the work done, then what is the problem? And in the cases of promotions, if one's performance merits getting a raise, then why should their be a drug test? This is very common in many companies any time an individual gets a promotion. If they are doing well enough to secure a promotion, should what they choose to unwind with matter. Some people don't like alcohol, should they not be able to be altered?

I'm pretty sure the raise they mentioned in the article above was not a promotion but a bribe to get the teachers to agree to random drug tests.

I'm pretty sure school teachers are screened for drugs prior to employment, I know they have to pass a background check. That should be enough...random drug testing=proto-totalitarian policy.

If my high school had tried to drug test me randomly I'd tell them to piss off. And even the random drug tests for athletes certainly does not deter drug use...in my personal experience you simply tell the coach that you won't take the test because you'd fail it and they punish you with brutal exercise, which just makes you a stronger athlete anyways.

We've gotta tell the insurance lobby they can eat a big fat dick.

bout damn time someone exposes the yearly costs of these fucking drug tests. this was recently an issue in canada where the gov't planned to drug test drivers that seemed under the influence, but it was scrubbed after a week or two when the costs were realized. it seems that the U.S., in contrast, doesn't give a flying fuck how much of their taxpayer dollars they waste pursuing, testing, arresting, and containing non-violent drug offenders. that's not just money being burned, that's also lives being ruined because for some reason a teacher could get SHITFACED on tuesday night, stumble into class on wednesday and "teach" yet for some fucking reason, a reason that NOBODY KNOWS, they would be entirely unable to teach appropriately if they instead smoked a joint the night before.

I believe we need to work far more on detection methods for people currently under the influence of drugs. If your teacher walks in baked as hell then that might be a problem, but if your teacher smoked the night before and then gets fired for testing positive how did that act have any affect on their role as an educator?

This is what I was thinking. In all honesty if a teacher can responsibly use drugs outside of school and still be an efficient educator then I have no problem with it. Showing up to school to teach kids whilst under the influence is not acceptable. But therein lies the problem as the tests will not be able to discriminate between the two.

This is what I was thinking. In all honesty if a teacher can responsibly use drugs outside of school and still be an efficient educator then I have no problem with it.

This should truly just be applied to anything in general.

This should truly just be applied to anything in general.

what if a teacher, who uses drugs responsibly and doesn't let them affect their job performance, gets arrested for possession?

doesn't the school stand to lose everything they've invested in that teacher simply because the educator chose to get high and got caught?

don't get me wrong, i disagree wholeheartedly with random drug testing-- i just can see where the Board of Education is coming from with there being an ever-decreasing supply of teachers around the country.

The construction management company I internship for has a random drug testing policy, and also a policy that if you get injured or make a serious mistake on the job site you get drug tested. I've heard stories that when the random drug testing units come some employees don't even take their drug tests... they just walk right out the door and are never seen again...

I read the company's reason into this force of action and it actually made fine sense to even though I hate it: the people who work with you are forced to do so as part of their job, and they should not be forced to work with someone that has been using drugs... too bad there is no vote or better measure.

Also, young students probably are probably not the best test group as they just don't have an entire career on the line like many already working professionals. I am surprised to hear that Michigan believes random drug testing doesn't lower drug consumption. I know for a fact, after having asked a good size sample of people that workers for my company are too scared, or have given up, drugs because they are scared they can lose their job.

I still don't know if they drug test interns... but hey, LETS ROLL ANOTHER ONE!!

teachers aren't DT'ed?

i thought they had to subject to random ones

No, not at my old school at least. At least 50% of the teachers smoked, and 1 of them was always blazed when he taught. Only reason I went to school sometimes!!!

If someone is doing their job and is not influencing their students to partake in these activities (I have nothing against recreational drug use, mind you), then it shouldn't matter what their personal life consists of. They are underpaid, let them do their drugs.

On one hand, students can get randomly tested or tested based on suspicion, so I say fuck it if they do it to students the teachers should be held to the same standards.

On the other hand, I don't really think either students or teachers should be tested at all.

^ Yes. I think that if the students are going to be tested then teachers should too.

My old high school is now HAIR testing students randomly.

At the beginning of last year, over the 1st 6 weeks of school, everyone had to submit a hair sample, and after that, 20 students were randomly chosen every week to be tested again.

ETA: that yeah this is a private (Catholic) school.

Last edited:
students at public schools. Usually can not get tested. But at certain private schools and a few states perhaps. Of course. i live in cali. SO, never been tested at a school before. Of course i went public all the way

Had a drug using art teach in high school she flipped out and stabbed a kid with scissors.

hell no , i beleive if you want to go home smoke some weed, pop a pill .. whatever , you should freeley do so.

But if you do it at work then thats a different story , but drug testing will give a positive result regardless of when you have done it so its a catch 22

hell no , i beleive if you want to go home smoke some weed, pop a pill .. whatever , you should freeley do so.

But if you do it at work then thats a different story , but drug testing will give a positive result regardless of when you have done it so its a catch 22

honestly, i don't think i'd trust my child's education in the hands of a person who might be having an LSD, MDMA, or any other kind of psychedelic after-glow on any given day of the week.

the same goes for a hungover drunk, though. i'd rather my kids get the best education that I and the public or private school system around us could provide-- if that means simply having a sober teacher, then it means having a sober teacher.

i'm probably going to catch some backlash for this one. :\