• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Methamphetamine Abuse Costs U.S. $23.4 Billion

AfterGlow

Bluelighter
WEDNESDAY, Feb. 4 (HealthDay News) -- In 2005, the economic cost of methamphetamine use in the United States was $23.4 billion, according to a RAND Corporation study of the financial impact of addiction, premature death and other issues associated with the drug.

While methamphetamine causes some unique types of harm, many of the costs associated with its use are the same as those identified in economic assessments of other illicit drugs, the study found.

Almost two-thirds of the costs caused by methamphetamine use resulted from the burden of addiction and the estimated 900 premature deaths among users in 2005. The second largest cost category was crime and criminal justice, including the costs of arresting and jailing drug offenders and dealing with non-drug crimes committed by methamphetamine users, such as thefts committed to support their drug habit.

Loss of productivity, the removal of children from their parents' homes because of methamphetamine use, and drug treatment were among the other factors associated with the economic cost of the drug.

The study cited the production of methamphetamine as another cost category, explaining that producing the drug requires toxic chemicals that can result in fire, explosions and other dangerous events. The resulting costs cover such things as cleaning up the hazardous waste generated by methamphetamine production and injuries suffered by emergency workers and other victims.

"Estimates of the economic costs of illicit drug use can highlight the consequences of illegal drug use on our society and focus attention on the primary drivers of these costs," study lead author Nancy Nicosia, an economist at RAND, said in a news release from the nonprofit research organization. "But more work is needed to identify areas where interventions to reduce these harms could prove most effective."

The study was sponsored by the nonprofit Meth Project Foundation and the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse.

"We commissioned this study to provide decision-makers with the best possible estimate of the financial burden that methamphetamine use places on the American public," Tom Siebel, founder and chairman of the Meth Project, which aims to reduce first-time use of the drug, said in the news release.

"This is the first comprehensive economic impact study ever to be conducted with the rigor of a traditional cost-of-illness study, applied specifically to methamphetamine," Siebel said. "It provides a conservative estimate of the total cost of meth, and it reinforces the need to invest in serious prevention programs that work."

link

If amphetamine were OTC again we wouldn't have any of these problems.

If it were OTC I can honestly say I would be addicted, no doubt in my mind!

But yeah, somethings got too change, it's just it's so fucking addictive i'm not sure legalization would be a good idea.

If amphetamine were OTC again we wouldn't have any of these problems.

Yes, you are exactly correct. It would also be easier for someone addicted to get help if they wanted it. I don't believe in forcing treatment on someone. Treatment should be private, affordable and voluntary.

For myself, I wouldn't use meth even if it were OTC. It's just not my thing. I am stressed so I like substances that help me relax.

Also, the problems would be a lot different if everyone was prescribed desoxyn from birth.

Intergalatic Magic says...

Why would legalizing methamphetamine be the solution? Do you think people only do it because its illegal - which is what a cop told me one time (I thought that was a load of shit)?

Why would the cost of treatment go down if meth were legalized?

Isn't treatment voluntary anyways? I suppose if you get busted with it you have a mandatory probation period and stuff that probably is paired with treatment program visitation requirements, but they do that stuff with legal drugs too, even alcohol.

I don't really have much of an opinion or any first hand experiences to draw on (except regular amph), but it seems that after everything I have ever read... my observation is that methamphetamine just rots the fuck out of people fast, and alot of them wish it never happened...

I'm curious to know what would happen if meth were legalized. Would the public be able to handle it? I would steer clear too like someone said.

I also always wonder what would have changed throughout history if people back in the early 1900's realized how MDMA could be used (or that it could be used) because chances are it would be have legal for a period of time (at least!) and tested the public's will.

Response anyone? Thanks!

Why would legalizing methamphetamine be the solution? Do you think people only do it because its illegal - which is what a cop told me one time (I thought that was a load of shit)?

The solution to what? Does anyone want to stop everyone from using methamphetamine? I think the problem is only the fact that it's illegal (and therefore unaffordable) and its users are taught a 'Just Say No' message from elementary school on through adulthood, instead of harm reduction. If it was cheap, over the counter, and people were provided with a Bluelight-approved drug education course in public school there would be very few problems except with the most serious addicts. The ratio of sometime users of amphetamine and methamphetamine to dependent addicts is very high.

Why would the cost of treatment go down if meth were legalized?

Isn't treatment voluntary anyways? I suppose if you get busted with it you have a mandatory probation period and stuff that probably is paired with treatment program visitation requirements, but they do that stuff with legal drugs too, even alcohol.

I don't know where you got the idea that treatment is voluntary. I'm pretty sure most people in treatment programs were forced there by a judge - their only alternative was jail.

I don't really have much of an opinion or any first hand experiences to draw on (except regular amph), but it seems that after everything I have ever read... my observation is that methamphetamine just rots the fuck out of people fast, and alot of them wish it never happened...

I'm curious to know what would happen if meth were legalized. Would the public be able to handle it? I would steer clear too like someone said.

You can always look at the very recent history of methamphetamine in the United States. It was sold over the counter under the brand name Methedrine from 1940 to 1965. Nobody had a real problem with it. It wasn't until about when biker gangs were producing methamphetamine clandestinely that it became Schedule II and then became associated with violence and mad profit.

I also always wonder what would have changed throughout history if people back in the early 1900's realized how MDMA could be used (or that it could be used) because chances are it would be have legal for a period of time (at least!) and tested the public's will.

Response anyone? Thanks!

MDA was legal and used recreationally a lot earlier in this century than you may have imagined, and that didn't seem to have any effect on the world.

once upon a time

(God damn i cant sleep...)

People can check into a rehab clinic or seek help from a variety of sources voluntarily - without being forced to by a judge. My neighbor entered an opiate rehab center. I'm sure they have places that offer detox programs for any treatment. You always here about celebrities "checking in" so it isn't like you NEED to be forced into one. I'm sure more people just resist or don't feel the need/ urgency. Am I wrong?

When you say, "Nobody had a real problem with it [OTC methamphetamine]," I wonder if that is just your opinion. I read a few places online about people going nuts with those inhalers and everything. I'm pretty sure that is one of causes of their closer regulation. There is also lots of stuff about amphetamines being overly prescribed back then as that "pep pill" crap which seemed to turn out unfavorably.... however, I am not certain about these facts either... they are just what I have stumbled over on the internet and remember over the years.

MDA was legal for sometime that is right. However, I'm interested in MDMA. I have had experiences with both, and I feel MDMA is clear enough that it would have been spread wildly if people had "discovered it" earlier... Freud+MDMA!(?) Hitler+MDMA??

Thanks for the input Coolio.

Funny how a massive chunk of that is made up of law enforceent efforts. Kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing.

(God damn i cant sleep...)

People can check into a rehab clinic or seek help from a variety of sources voluntarily - without being forced to by a judge. My neighbor entered an opiate rehab center. I'm sure they have places that offer detox programs for any treatment. You always here about celebrities "checking in" so it isn't like you NEED to be forced into one. I'm sure more people just resist or don't feel the need/ urgency. Am I wrong?

You're not wrong.

When you say, "Nobody had a real problem with it [OTC methamphetamine]," I wonder if that is just your opinion. I read a few places online about people going nuts with those inhalers and everything. I'm pretty sure that is one of causes of their closer regulation. There is also lots of stuff about amphetamines being overly prescribed back then as that "pep pill" crap which seemed to turn out unfavorably.... however, I am not certain about these facts either... they are just what I have stumbled over on the internet and remember over the years.

'Overly prescribed' is a very loaded phrase. So is 'going nuts'. I think you're equating hedonistic recreational use with abuse. If they don't have to turn to crime and prostitution to do it then daily recreational use of legal, pure, over the counter drugs is not a 'real problem' in my opinion. Legal, pure, inexpensive forms of these drugs would present minimal health risks when combined with a change in attitude from medical professionals that would allow people to seek medical treatment without risk of embarrassment or punishment.

MDA was legal for sometime that is right. However, I'm interested in MDMA. I have had experiences with both, and I feel MDMA is clear enough that it would have been spread wildly if people had "discovered it" earlier... Freud+MDMA!(?) Hitler+MDMA??

Thanks for the input Coolio.

Do you think there's a real difference between the entactogenic effects of MDA and MDMA?

(I just wrote a long response that got timed out and lost... damn here is the jist)

Do you think there's a real difference between the entactogenic effects of MDA and MDMA?

Yeah I do think there is a huge difference between MDA and MDMA. I believe MDMA is ALOT more therapeutic than MDA and has a very gentle return to reality (I've never had a losing the magic problem). I also personally found I have much much more energy and a greater level of trust in the absolute stranger while on MDMA than MDA... MDA is like a stoney, smacky, smoke a joint and talk about how fucked up i feel...

It doesn't have to be like this for everyone, but me certainly.

For the reasons why MDMA therapy is much more popular rather then MDA therapy (it has to be very rare if even at all).