• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Girls sees police, panics and triple drops, dies and media calls it ecstasy overdose

GenErik

Greenlighter
Girl dies after Big Day Out overdose

A 17-year-old girl admitted to hospital after a suspected drug overdose at yesterday's Big Day Out concert in Perth has died overnight.

A friend of the family told 6PR Radio that the girl took three ecstasy tablets before entering the festival's gates after she spotted police searching people for drugs.

The witness said the girl then went on a ride with friends when she began to shake and her lips turned blue.

Within moments she collapsed and was taken to hospital, where she died early this morning.

Police confirmed the girl had taken a number of pills before entering the event, which was held in 36-degree heat and humidity.

It is understood she was treated for a suspected ecstasy overdose at a first-aid post before being taken to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.

The Police Major Crime Squad and Organised Crime Squad are investigating the source of the drugs to see if charges should be laid.

The cause of girl's death is yet to be confirmed by a post-mortem examination.

Police with sniffer dogs laid about 60 charges for drug-related offences at the Showgrounds train station, targeting festivalgoers yesterday.

They charged 55 people with possession, three people with intent to sell or supply, and four with possessing smoking implements.

Drugs seized included ecstasy, methamphetamine, cannabis and dexamphetamine.

Another 32 people were charged with liquor infringements and six people were charged with disorderly conduct.

Steve Allsop, from the National Drug Research Institute, said taking any pill was a gamble.

"One of the risks is that people don't know what it is they're taking. What they were taking one week will vary the next week. The problem with a drug such as ecstasy is that people are lulled into a false sense of security about what they're taking," he said.

"Some people are also more vulnerable to the risks than others. Some people react with more adverse reactions than others and they don't find out until it's too late.

"It can cause cardiac problems, such as irregular heartbeats and increased blood pressure and can lead to a possible stroke for those who are already vulnerable.

"Ecstasy also interferes with the regulation of our body temperature. There is an increased vulnerability to dehydration and in 38- to 40-degree heat a person can go into a coma or in some cases people can die.

"Ecstasy related deaths are often in hot environments where the body can't cool down. So if a person's normal temperature is 38.5 degrees, a person who is unwell has a temperature of 40 degrees and in some of these cases their temperature is 43 to 44 degrees.

He recommended that friends not hesitate to call for help if a friend showed any signs of being adversely affected by drugs.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-at-big-day-out/2009/02/02/1233423112027.html

stupid shit like this happens because people are misinformed imo. they dont know their substance! She didnt overdose from Ecstasy, she dehydrated. whenever you hear a story like this it either says that they dehydrated, or that they drank to much and it basically drowned them. thats just my opinion on the situation.

Hence my "media calls it ecstasy overdose" headline.

Always quick to jump the gun before we even see an autopsy report.

these stories usually die down in a day or two and they never release what really happened to them. well at least that how it is in Florida

im sorry but why didnt the girl just chuck them?
tripple dropping is never really a smart idea
=/
sad to hear that she passed away
my heart goes out to the family
<3

He recommended that friends not hesitate to call for help if a friend showed any signs of being adversely affected by drugs.

Yea right. The cops make that easy to do right? Call for help then get arrested. The kids just want to have fun at the festival and the police cause more problems. The police: "We just want to help you, you are under arrest and you have to go to jail. See, how much we are helping you." Go out and catch some real criminals.

I was at this event.. it was extremely hot and humid all throughout the day i had to just go sit down at one point cause the heat was causing me to feel sick and light-headed.. i didn't see any dogs myself.. but they were definitely there.

I guess to the police 60 people charged out of 38,000 and the death of a minor is 'acceptable'. Sigh.

She didnt overdose. Dehydration plus yesterdays heat would have fucked her up if she had taken 1 or 3 pills. But i definately wouldnt triple drop e pills, thats just stpid.

Yea right. The cops make that easy to do right? Call for help then get arrested. The kids just want to have fun at the festival and the police cause more problems. The police: "We just want to help you, you are under arrest and you have to go to jail. See, how much we are helping you." Go out and catch some real criminals.

In Aus, police are not reccomended to go to an overdose unless its fatal.

"One of the risks is that people don't know what it is they're taking. What they were taking one week will vary the next week. The problem with a drug such as ecstasy is that people are lulled into a false sense of security about what they're taking," he said.

yeah and surprise surprise, if we legalized drugs then people would know what they were taking as they would come out of a regulated market rather than the black market

It has been suggested before sniffer dogs and police searches cause people to take all their drugs at once before an event rater than spacing them out. This is a case that backs up that theory. It is sad and ridiculous this girls death has been labelled the fault of drugs and not drug prohibition!

^
Yes, I could see that happening. But the smartest thing is to get rid of the drugs; preferably stashing them for later retrieval. That or just take what you're going to take before entering the facility.

I'm all against prohibition. But, I just don't see how the police are to blame here for what she did. Yes if drugs weren't illegal this wouldn't have happened, but they are illegal and we have to minimize harm when using, something she didn't do. Sad story though. :\

as for taking more before entertain somewhere.. ive seen loads of people do that countless times.. it happens.. its stupid.. but it happens.. thats life..

...shame they cant even legalise drugs in clubs.. maximum possesion of 10 or something

...automattically make it 18+ to technically posses anything then anyway.. yknow?

Blame the police officers for targeting under aged festival types for "fund raising". Yo doosch bag to protect & serve is not to fund raise. A prayer 2 the girl & family.

0,,6473004,00.jpg

Gemma Thoms, 17, died from an ecstasy overdose at the Big Day Out concert.

link