View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

FDA panel recommends ban on the painkiller Darvon

AfterGlow

Bluelighter
Associated Press
January 30, 2009

WASHINGTON – Government advisers are recommending a ban on Darvon, a painkiller that's been around for 50 years. A Food and Drug Administration advisory panel voted 14-12 Friday to recommend withdrawing Darvon after a hearing on its risks and benefits. The drug was first approved in 1957, when there were few alternatives for pain except aspirin and powerful narcotics.

Now mainly marketed as Darvocet, which includes a dose of acetaminophen, the drug remains one of the top 25 most commonly prescribed medications. More than 20 million prescriptions were written in 2007.

The consumer group Public Citizen said the FDA should withdraw Darvon because the drug offers weak pain relief and poses an overdose risk, with the potential to be used in suicides.

link

Yeah, I just got done reading this... Im trying to understand why exactly...

it also says ""I have been astonished at how widely used this drug is," Avorn said. "It's no longer the most abusable and most dangerous drug in its class, but the fact that there are worse drugs doesn't make Darvon a good drug.""

So why would you ban propoxyphene but not more riskier chemicals...He says thats its not a good drug just because its not the worst...I guess it could be easier to OD on it, since its so damn hard to feel anything, and you try to keep on takin more and more to achieve a SLIGHT buzz... weird though... Does anyone know any other health related issues with propoxyphene?

So why would you ban propoxyphene but not more riskier chemicals...He says thats its not a good drug just because its not the worst...I guess it could be easier to OD on it, since its so damn hard to feel anything, and you try to keep on takin more and more to achieve a SLIGHT buzz... weird though

I think you answered you're own question. It's not very recreational but it can still cause respiratory depression and kill you. In other words, you'll die before you get high, hehe.

But itsn't this what pharma says they are always trying to develop... an effective drug that has very low recreational value and potential for abuse?

The problem is that it is not an effective drug for pain, no more effective than aspirin according to some studies. It also has all the risks mentioned above. Thus there is no reason to prescribe this over codiene or hydrocodone.

okay understood... So they actually have studies that this compares to aspirin, question answer then

I'm so happy I found no one going "WTF that sucks, I cant believe they took darvocet off the market, this shit was awesome"

About fucking time :X. The shit has caused more deaths then all other opiates combined. It's one of the most useless and dangerous chemicals still on the market.

Now if they would only take it off the market in canada.