Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Peruvian Torch Cactus - First Time - Blasted, but safe

Dark Horse

Bluelighter
It's about two months since my first experience with Peruvian Torch cactus chips. The following account is an overview of the experience, but it also includes a brief log of the day, my thoughts the next day, and emails in the weeks that followed from my friend who joined me in the experience.

There were two of us. I'll refer to my friend as B. We've known each other for 7 or 8 years - a couple of middle-aged expatriate men a long way from home. Some time ago we got to talking about LSD and wondered what it would be like to revisit psychedelics.

I spent a few months trying to locate some acid. At the same time, I was reading about all sorts of things I didn't know existed. This family of 2-c drugs and synthetic psychedelics, for instance. I read through descriptions and experiences on just about all of them and found the effects were either unpredictable or the drugs were hard to find, or both. Often when I found something initially appealing, further reading revealed reasons to give it a miss. And then after seeing the name come up many times online, I looked up San Pedro. I knew what mescaline was but didn't realize there was an easy way to get it. Here was a well-researched drug inside a cactus that was for sale. Glowing accounts abounded with nary a mention of a 'train wreck or trip disaster.' Even the 'difficult experiences' were qualified as somehow useful.

I settled on Peruvian Torch chips, ordered them online, and presto they were delivered.

B had done mescaline some 25 years before. It was a first time for me and fully 25 years since my last bit of acid. We'd both had experiences with E a few years back.

Saturday Morning:

0900:

B went big - two glasses of very finely powdered Peruvian Torch cactus chips mixed with water. 50 grams. I did the same dose but over an hour, and in four or five glasses. It was thick and bitter. I felt a little bit of the gag reflex, but nothing I couldn't resist. People have a lot to say about the taste, but I've had worse. For instance, I can't manage so much as a mouthful of blue cheese. Anyway, I used peanut butter as a chaser to swirl around my mouth and absorb whatever leftover cactus was lingering. That worked. I spat out the peanut butter after about five minutes. B was bothered even less by the taste.

0955 (T+ 55:00)

I was just lining up my last glass when B said he was getting his first alerts. He figured we were in for a big ride. Right away I thought he was feeling something else because this wasn't supposed to come on so quickly, was it ? Later, I realized most of the trip reports I'd read were by people who'd done doses in the 30 gram range. We'd been up smoking hash the night before and at the same time I was coming down with something that had left me a bit feverish. In the morning I thought it was remnants of the night before, and a cold, that had me feeling something like a first alert. But I rather suspected B was actually right. And from there, we just kept getting higher.

(Here is the log, pretty much as I wrote it on that day)

9 AM START

B TOOK HIS DOWN IN WATER…JUST TWO BIG GLASSES.HE HAS A TOUGH STOMACH. I DON'T…SO I TOOK MINE AFTER TWO GRAVOL (dramamine/sea-sick pills) AND SPACED IT OUT…EVERY 15 MINUTES OR SO.

FIRST ALERTS BY 10 AM

10:19 GETTING STRONGER…..NAUSEA CREEPING UP (for me).

PUKING AT 11:33- 11:36

12:08

NO OPEN EYE VISUALS – NOTHING DIFFERENT ABOUT VISION.

12:48

VISUALS GETTING BETTER…THE 3-D ASPECT..ESPECIALLY OF A COMPLEX
PATTERN…(B) 'I don't know if you should be writing anything down….'

…more initricate …layering…

2:21 (t+5:20)

Full on everything. Okay…just…to do this. On the edge of a bunch of
things…to bring it all together is really tough.

Visual distortion at 2:33…hard to type.

laughing fit at 2:36…'what were we laughing about' B asks as we leave the room.

(oh yeah, just played harps and keyboards)

And that was as far as we got with the log.

50 grams will leave you house bound. We didn't appreciate how incapacitating this would be. We had plans to get out into nature but there was never any thought of that at all once the effects started to set in, and that happened quickly. Before too long, we'd really stopped talking. B especially was having trouble forming sentences. I was happy to take it all in and managed to put sentences together, but I wasn't talkative, and I wasn't energetic. I was tremendously high but still conscious of everything around me. It was something like being in a spacesuit. There was a layer between my brain and the rest of my body.

We had some structure to the day, even though we didn't get outside. When me and B get together, it's always based around listening to music. So throughout the entire day, that's what we did. The stereo probably wasn't off for more than ten minutes. At one point we jammed, me on the piano, B on his harmonica. I struggled to play very fluidly. I felt detached from the music and my playing seemed disjointed. I couldn't get the usual satisfaction out of playing with B….no sense that we were on the same page, though we got it done and I was able (barely) to hold my end together.

The peak probably started between 12 and 1, three to four hours in. Once we got up there, we stayed there for five or six hours. Melted into the furniture at times.

The thoughts came so quickly that I remember few of them. I think now the best thing would have been to lie down in a quiet place and surrender. Instead I ended up half lying on a chair that's not all that comfortable and drifting off, but not for long. I'd lift my head and look around - this was something I did over and over again. Sit up, check on B, then drop my head again and see CEVs that I couldn't remember for long at all. It seemed the image I was left with whenever I snapped awake was one of many that had flown past in the instant just before.

No big themes or issues during the day, though I have lots in life to think about right now. I have family a long way from where I live but I didn't get emotional when I thought about that. Nothing really heavy at all. And it was as though I could control that if I wanted to. I consciously thought about 'issues' at one point, just to mentally raise them, but none seemed important.

I sensed time dilation and checked often. At some point, I adjusted and factored it in. Not sure it's a great thing to be checking something like that so often.

The experience overall was fragmented. Nothing held together very long, not even long enough most of the time to be remembered. Maybe because the next however-many-images-in-a-row just kept rolling in. They didn't stop.

I recall at one point saying to B ' this must be the euphoria.' I'm sure if I remember saying it, then I really did feel euphoric. But it wasn't like E. I wasn't connected to other people the same way.

Not that it was bad. I've never been so completely out of it on anything that had so little consequence on my body and mind later. I took two seasick pulls beforehand, and still got sick two and a half hours in. But it was quick. B got sick after about six hours. Neither of us thought it was an issue. No headaches, no big trouble sleeping, great natural feeling the next day. We smoked hash on and off but not much when we were peaking and I'm not sure how much difference it made. We ate well after about ten hours.

The only regret for me was not being able to see how this worked outdoors. I couldn't see us moving around on a dose like this. I'm curious to know what it would be like to be set up from the start in a fabulous natural setting.

It was fully 24 hours after we started that we finally got out. Even though it was a rare clear day in the big city I live in, there was still no mistaking the effect of the lingering cactus on my vision. It says something about how long this stuff sticks around, or about how powerful it is...because I hadn't seen the streets look like that before. Perfectly in focus - like the difference between old school TV and hi def. Bright, crisp colors. The sun was never better. Every image was incredibly sharp.

(Observations made the next day)

Afterward:

Came down from the hardest part somewhere between 5 and 6 pm. (T+ 8-9 hours) Remained strong nonetheless. Present until we went to bed at about 12:30.

My visuals were not so much on colors, though we were in a limited environment, but shapes. Warping of the room – a rectangular room with me in the middle looking down at one end where the light comes in through windows on the 6th floor. Coming into the computer room down the hall, I remember my vision was all over the place. Couldn't read this screen too well. It was possible to type with a little concentration…and that was the whole day. Everything was possible with some effort….I was never so far gone that I couldn't answer a question…never drifting for too long.

I'm not sure what I got from the experience, or whether I knew how to use the opportunity. Certainly if I'd been that high for that long on something less friendly, it might have been nasty.

To compare it to LSD…this was easier to control. I think if I'd been outside on a smaller dose – say 30-35 grams – I might have been able to pull it off. Presumably the peak doesn't get that high on the smaller dose.

The come down was wonderfully gentle. B feared a headache, as that's happened to him on other things. Nothing though. My neck was a bit sore from sitting the same way, but overall I was probably better off than if I'd tried to sit that way sober all day.

The next day has been great. We both think this is the cleanest of any major high we've had.

(end of next day observations)

Most of this has been my perspective. I checked in with B a few times over the following days and weeks. These are some of his thoughts:

'I was a bit sluggish in the first few days of the week but that may as well be the smoking (hash) which had been a while for me and the long trip. i was fine come mid week and have been feeling quite sharp in the past few days, handling some difficult work issues and communicating with my boss on the phone with plenty of clarity. but this morning i was under the impression that today was thursday and was surprised when my wife told me over the phone that it was friday. seems i missed a day... not sure if that was because i was so busy or if the cactus somehow messed up my body clock. any lingering effects from your side ? i would love to go for another round some time.'

(I asked for an update a few weeks later)

'I can't say that I have any lingering physical effects from the cactus but I think that a first time experience like that has to have some permanent effects on the mind although I would be hard pressed to define them. Certainly there is a resulting thought expanding effect. But that also applies to other drugs. What do you think? '

(I asked him to clarify what 'thought expanding' meant)

'As you know, one of the things lsd does is to help expose the true motives and nature of man which tend to get masked by things like culture, religion or ignorance. Thats a big part of the mind expanding. The cactus had the potential to go there but as we discussed before, it was controllable.'

'During the trip, there were about 4-5 very brief moments when I felt as though I was in my normal state and I mentioned it to you. I find this very interesting, considering how blasted I was. Did you get a similar feeling? Its mostly a head trip but fine hand coordination is definitely affected big time. But I had no problems walking on it. It was basically impossible to maintain a thread of thought for more than what seemed like 15 seconds or so even though it was obvious that the potential for thoughts to run quite deep was there.'

(Note: I felt okay about using my hands. At one point I picked up a cleaver and sliced the end off a big candle, and I think it was a lot safer doing that on the cactus than it would have been on alcohol.)

I noticed my body was relaxed in the days that followed. My breathing was very deep. My legs felt a bit weak. And continuing to smoke hash might not have helped me get back to normal. But there were no actual problems. I was just a touch removed from the mainstream.

We both think this is worth doing again. Somehow I want a different experience. I'm thinking it might be good to do less and get outside. And some time I want to do more than 50 grams to see where that goes.

Last edited:
I liked reading this. I especially appreciated the comparisons with LSD. It sounds like you managed to strike a nice balance, having a relatively controllable experience but still a pretty deep one at that.

And since it only warranted a passing mention in your log, how was the nausea/purge? Did the nausea last the whole hour from when you first felt it up until you actually vomited? I've lost my lunch on psychedelics before but never minded it too much unless the sickness leading up to it was particularly long and drawn out.

I didnt know you could order it like this. Thanks for the writeup and detail. Im interested in trying this

ikkyu,

I noticed the nausea enough to make reference to it in the log but it never became truly uncomfortable and/or drawn out. When it was time to get sick, I calmly made my way to the bathroom and heaved three times. That part of it worked more or less the way I would have wanted it to. I wonder though how much worse it might have been if I hadn't taken the gravol beforehand. It was just the one time that I got sick. Later there were moments when the nausea returned but never heavy and never for long.

My friend didn't take anything (pills) and was sick on three occasions, but some six or seven hours after the start. And he wasn't complaining. Neither of us was bothered by the nausea, but we did have to be sick, and I'm not sure how you handle that if you're in a place where it is awkward.

nice report.

i related to the part about remaining emotionally stable when thinking about your family. that's a big distinction between mescaline and other psychedelics for me - the ability to reflect and get deep on things without emotions running wild. there's a very casual calm sort of feeling, maybe some bewilderment and humor but no panic or manic thought looping IME.

colors

Just considering 'manic thought looping' as a possibility is enough to drive me away from lsd or mushrooms. Maybe not forever though. One thing I found with the cactus (this first time anyway) was that there were things somehow missing. I didn't get any insights to take away. It needs to be explored further.

Maybe you need to try it outdoors, or with some other friends/family next time.

I'm very interested in Peruvian torch and I think it is going to be my second trip ever.
It sounds like you had a lovely time. The way your post was written gave the ability to engage me in your situation.
Can you explain what you mean by chips? The headshop I am going to order it from sells it in like strips of the cactus.

Last edited:
This is a great report. Very descriptive and on par with the effects of achuma. I especially enjoyed this part:

there was still no mistaking the effect of the lingering cactus on my vision. It says something about how long this stuff sticks around, or about how powerful it is...because I hadn't seen the streets look like that before. Perfectly in focus - like the difference between old school TV and hi def. Bright, crisp colors. The sun was never better. Every image was incredibly sharp.

It is amazing how almost painfully clear mescaline makes one's vision towards the end of the trip.

Just a thought regarding the OP's preparation - I have always found the term "nausea" to be misleading. I see it as stomach discomfort and that is why taking dramamine never helps. I find preloading with a bit of hot pepper or ginger helps with digestion significantly.

Last edited:
Carlqua,

By chips, I mean dried pieces of cactus skin. They come in a bag and there are a lot of them of differing size. You want to grind them as finely as possible if you plan on ingesting them as I did.

Mamdbdylan, you'd laugh to know i don't even have a tough stomach. Plug the nose and use the peanut butter....took almost all of the taste away.

Can't believe someone dug up this trip report ! It's now three plus year ago.

Nice report Dark Horse! I'm surprised the thread is so unpopulated in three years coz it's one of the simplest and most honest I've come across...What I'm particularly interested in is the "purging" you refer to...For me it has never been about vomitting, it's always been a cathartic diarrhea for me (hate spelling that word!) three, four, maybe five times in an experience with the greeny...Yes, a bit of nausea but never vomitting...Its seems to me the slime goes in one way, and comes out the other side quite naturally albeit rather quickly (staccato bursts starting at 90 minutes and then every half hour or so and always a Wonderful experience that deepens as the purge occurs from time to time) but from my research (googling) almost everybody talks about purging as vomitting....maybe its just me, but after a long career I can always depend on it going as nature intended. My brain seems to send signals to ensure the goodies travel all the way through....I wonder if peeps are not missing out on some on the action and I'm intrigued why no-one else reports this?!

basically if you dose about 20 grams of peruvian torch it has a four hours mdma style come up phase then shifts into more hallucinatory territory by hours 5-8. sounds like you took a huge dose.

i find it very clear headed and easy to remember i'm on a drug with mescaline. never had even one freakout on it. its quite good for clubbing

Good report! I've tried the whole cactus route before and it was way too nasty to get any psychoactive amounts down. Would love to find P. Torch in powder form (does that even exist?)

My one mescaline trip a few years ago was very interesting: about 14 hours of increased energy, powerful closed-eye visuals, euphoria that came in waves and a feeling of lightness throughout my body. Not an easy trip, but one you should take if you're into phenethylamines. Mescaline is the prototypical grandfather of its class--2c-E in plant form ;)

My thinking: If mescaline could convince Shulgin to change his life's course in such a historical way, it's worth looking into :)

I know this is an old post but to me it as if it were written for me today. I googled "peruvian torch" and found this thread. I am in the process of obtaining about a 1/2 pound of chips but didn't know if it was worth it. From your report it sounds exciting. I'll be 57 in August so I have been around the block. Back in the 70's I had peyote buttons several times and this sounds very similar. We always would vomit about 45 minutes after taking them (we would be fine the rest of the time) and then would have trips similar to what you have talked about here. Great report and I can't wait to try it. This is my first post (I suppose you will know that by my post count below my handle - lol) and I am glad that I have found this Bluelight community.

Welcome to Bluelight..and this lonely old('ish) thread.

I hope everything works out for you and you get what you want from the experience, or at least get something worthwhile. I thought it was great and have done it since.

Please post a trip report - I'd like to know how it went.