View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis law change "Illogical"

Tenchi

Bluelighter
Cannabis law change 'illogical'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7850342.stm

The reclassification of cannabis as a Class B drug has come into effect in England and Wales amid complaints the new laws are "illogical". Ministers went against their advisors to upgrade the drug because of worries about its impact on mental health.

Magistrates welcomed the reclassification but said planned fines for possessing small amounts undermined the more serious classification. They said it sent the signal cannabis is not as bad as other Class B drugs.

Plans to introduce a "three strikes" system for cannabis possession start with a warning, then an £80 spot fine for a second offence. Only when a third offence is committed, will the person be liable to arrest and prosecution.

Penalties for drug offences

The spot fine proposal is due for further consultation after magistrates expressed concerns about taking offences away from the courts system. The Magistrates' Association argued that some of the offences were too serious to be dealt with out of court and that penalty payment rates were low. The fines are to be debated in the Lords on Monday and are expected to come into force on Wednesday.

Currently, police can only warn or prosecute people caught in possession of cannabis. The maximum prison term for possessing cannabis rises from two to five years with its reclassification.

Home Office minister Alan Campbell said: "Cannabis is a harmful drug and while fewer people are taking it than before, it poses a real risk to the health of those who do use it." He added: "We are reclassifying cannabis to protect the public and future generations."

But John Fassenfelt, deputy chair of the Magistrates' Association, said the fine system would send out mixed messages.

"What is that telling the youngster on the street?" he said. "Is it telling them well, you can have cannabis, it's not so serious as other Class B drugs. "It's a dual justice system. If you smoke or take another Class B drug you'll be brought to court, if you take cannabis you'll be given a fine. Where's the justice in that?"

A £2.2m TV, radio and internet campaign will launch next month to warn young people about the dangers of using the drug.

'Three times stronger'

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith decided to reclassify cannabis despite an Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs' review - commissioned by Gordon Brown - saying it should remain Class C. Ms Smith said stronger "skunk" varieties account for 80% of the cannabis seized on the streets, and that the drug is nearly three times stronger than in 1995.

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said: "The move to Class B has got nothing to do with public health and education and everything to do with posturing on penalties. "This farce would have been avoided had ministers heeded the advice of the experts on the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs."

The advisory council's report, Cannabis: Classification and Public Health, described the drug as a "significant public health issue". But it said it should still remain a Class C drug, saying the risks were not as serious as those of Class B substances such as amphetamines and barbiturates.

Class C includes substances such as tranquilisers, some painkillers, GHB (so-called "liquid ecstasy") and ketamine. Possession of Class C drugs is treated largely as a non-arrestable offence.

The Conservatives have said the government's reversal of its earlier decision showed the downgrading of cannabis had been a mistake.

If your in jail for cannabis possession and the law downshifts your offense to something that isnt punishable by jail time, are you free to go?

Does that apply anywhere?

"What is that telling the youngster on the street?" he said. "Is it telling them well, you can have cannabis, it's not so serious as other Class B drugs.

That's because it isn't? You're a politician, not a doctor or a scientist, and it sure fucking shows when you make a comparison as inane as that between the safety profile of barbiturates/amphetamines and that of cannabis. But of course, you don't pay attention to scientific data or basic logic. So, I guess I'll leave it at FUCK YOU. STOP TRYING TO RUIN OUR LIVES YOU STUPID PRICK. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

If you smoke or take another Class B drug you'll be brought to court, if you take cannabis you'll be given a fine. Where's the justice in that?"

Funny, I was wondering the exact same thing.

It's my guess that the "youngster on the street" already has a pretty good understanding of the relative safety and harm associated with most illicit drugs, better than this yoyo anyways.

Stronger marijuana is actually safer because you will smoke less to get the desired effect. If I am accustomed to drinking a pint of beer and switch to drinking wine I would simply drink a small glass instead. Government has no business intruding into private lives. They should use their resources to catch murderers and rapists instead of persecuting some guy that just wants to have a smoke at home and relax.

very recently,here in massachusetts 'question 2' passed: "Voters yesterday overwhelmingly approved a ballot initiative to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana, making getting caught with less than an ounce of pot punishable by a civil fine of $100. The change in the law means someone found carrying dozens of joints will no longer be reported to the state's criminal history board" thats from the boston globe

Will these idiots ever learn? I feel bad for you guys in the UK....oh wait I live in the US....fuck. Thank you Cali for making it a 100 fine!

Fuck them, it will not make any difference to my cannabis habit. If i want to smoke it i shall, and nothing a politician does will make me think otherwise.

Hear, Hear! I'll continue to blaze with impunity. Sod Gordon Brown and his idiotic decision not to listen to sound, scientific advice.

I have read the report put out by the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. Or at least scanned through it and read their conclusion. Anyone who has given it a quick read would realize how full of shit Gordan and Jacqui are. The report is very skeptical in a cannabis/schizophrenia link and debunks most of the claims of the reefer-madness tabloids. It is all politics as usual and not pragmatic public policy based on science.

"Home Secretary Jacqui Smith decided to reclassify cannabis despite an Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs' review - commissioned by Gordon Brown - saying it should remain Class C. Ms Smith said stronger "skunk" varieties account for 80% of the cannabis seized on the streets, and that the drug is nearly three times stronger than in 1995."

That Smith woman is a bellend of the highest order. So what if its stronger? Its the SAME FUCKING DRUG. I want to light a fat one and blow smoke in her ignorant face.

Idiots. Im sure i read that a Class C drug was a drug with an accepted medical value. Doesnt that make cannabis a class C drug? Its not like this law is going to change anything anyway, people are going to smoke and only cops who can't find anything more productive to do will care that people are smoking weed in a country that has much bigger problems to sort. How about focussing on stopping the kids from stabbing each other to death at school first?! But of course, the war on drugs is alot more important and so much more productive than say, fixing the state of the economy or providing better pensions for the elderly. Im so glad to be outta that fucking country.

Hear, Hear! I'll continue to blaze with impunity. Sod Gordon Brown and his idiotic decision not to listen to sound, scientific advice.

When i get out of this stinking inferno that is the Rhondda, i will come and get baked with you my good man.

It really is illogical. If they want to have that informal warning, fine then court appearance system for cannabis as a Class B drug then people should get the same treatment for speed etc.

Meh, what an idiotic situation!

Idiots. Im sure i read that a Class C drug was a drug with an accepted medical value. Doesnt that make cannabis a class C drug?

No - that's not right. It's the scheduling that includes medical value. Schedule 1 includes all the non-medicinal uses substances (LSD, MDMA, etc.). The others schedules make certain controlled drugs legal to possess with a prescription and some without.

My bad then. Just going off what I read here:

On the 29th January 2004, cannabis was reclassified from a class B to a Class C drug. Class C is reserved for substances with an accepted medical use, such as steroids, anti-depressants, and some tranquillisers.

From
HTML:
http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/cannabis/legality.htm

stronger marijuana is actually safer because you will smoke less to get the desired effect. If i am accustomed to drinking a pint of beer and switch to drinking wine i would simply drink a small glass instead. Government has no business intruding into private lives. They should use their resources to catch murderers and rapists instead of persecuting some guy that just wants to have a smoke at home and relax.

amen!

My bad then. Just going off what I read here:

From
HTML:
http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/cannabis/legality.htm

Hmm... you may be right then. :) There are no Class C / Schedule 1 drugs in the UK. I was thinking that GHB is a class C, but not sure if it is still used for medical purposes.