Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

captainballs

Bluelighter
This movie has done something incredible to my sense of expectations when it comes to films. I have come to the realization that I am more entertained and satisfied by movies that generate heavy buzz, deal with taboo issues, star great actors, and turn out to be absolutely horrible than I am with movies that embody all of the same qualities with one exception: they are mediocre and boring instead of outright horrible. Similar to how I'd rather deal with a bout of violent diarrhea and vomit at the same time just to laugh about it all later than just have a minor tummy ache.

"Doubt" was a minor tummy ache. Let me ruin it for you without telling you a thing about the plot - all you have to do is remember this while you're watching it: "Doubt" was initially intended to be released as an episode of "Law and Order: SVU," but the writers of that particular story quit for creative reasons when the studio disagreed with some of the more "controversial" plot elements. Now, I don't need to post a link to this story because I am certain that it is true. A dog that bites is a dog that bites - you can tell by looking in its eyes. If you think this review is clever then you will think "Doubt" is clever as well.

The film introduces only one interesting ethical dilemma, and it has to do with the boy's mother's reaction, but it does not explore it at any depth, and nothing at all is explored in any depth throughout the whole movie in general. I wish I could call it pretentious and boring, but the truth is that "Doubt" is really just boring and a waste of time. I wish it was pretentious - at least then I could have a strong opinion about it. But in a couple of weeks I will forget that it even existed.

0/5

^I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everyone who was excited to see it - I'm sorry for everyone who is excited to see just about any movie made lately. It is truly disenfranchising when I see how many awards this movie is getting. It truly shows that there must be absolutely nothing good out.

^Same here. lol. Captainballs....your review may be just spot on but it still doesn't quell my wanting to see this ! And you know I pretty much trust your taste ;)

FWIW, I didn't want to see it because the issue is 'taboo'. I wanted to see it because I love all the actors and I heard they each did a fantastic job. :\

The main reason I wanna see it is because I <3 Meryl Streep. Her character looks awesome. :)

Originally Posted by tribal girl
The main reason I wanna see it is because I Meryl Streep. Her character looks awesome.

Originally Posted by AmorRoark
FWIW, I didn't want to see it because the issue is 'taboo'. I wanted to see it because I love all the actors and I heard they each did a fantastic job.
The actors all did a wonderful, make that a phenomenal job... with what was given to them. This film reminds me a lot of my last job. The owner clearly had an exit strategy that involved draining money from the firm and then watching it implode, yet he hired a wonderful, honest, ethical, and hard-working operations director - someone who was destined to fail given the circumstances. There is no greater crime than knowingly throwing good after bad, whether it's money or people. With "Doubt," it was probably clear from the beginning that the script could only be saved by some excellent actors - or at least the investment in production could be saved by that factor. Unfortunately, it just didn't work - although in some sense it worked considering the domino effect we're seeing regarding the amount of awards this film is receiving, which will generate at least some initial viewers' interest and $$$. But there will never be a cult following, or any remembrance of this film in the long run.

what the hell is it about in the first place?
in the preview's they try to make it look chilling, dramatic, and groundbreaking.
but all i see is meryl streep stomping around in that strange outfit from the women in that cult thing down in utah.
and philip seamore hoffman yelling at her in some sort of monk/priest uniform.

uhmm.....can someone tell me what the hell is going on here?

^ It's a film based off a play set in a Catholic school/church in the Bronx during the 1960s. Those 'outfits' are actually pretty accurate depictions of what some Catholic nuns and priests wore at that time. After giving a sermon about 'doubt' Meryl Streep (headmistress of the school) speaks with the other nuns about watching out for Hoffman's character and keep an eye out for suspicious behavior toward the other students. You can guess where it goes from there... a bunch of inconclusive suggestions made by Meryl which could or could not be true. I haven't seen it but that's the basic premise.