• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Hell Girl

EA-1475

Bluelighter
I'm not a huge anime nut but there's some stuff I like. Watching heads explode on Fist Of The North Star never gets old. But I don't go out of my way to watch anime.
Anyway, I started watching this series on IFC called Hell Girl. I gotta say, it's pretty interesting. And disturbing in its own way.

The premise of the show is this. There is a website called Hell Connection. It's only accessible at midnight. If you happen to get through to it, you can type in the name of someone you hate. Once you hit enter, Hell Girl appears in your room and gives you a straw doll with a red string around its neck. If you untie the string on the doll's neck, Hell Girl will take your enemy to hell. Directly to hell. Don't pass go. Don't collect $200.
Pretty cool, huh? Well, there's a catch. If you decide to go ahead and send your enemy to hell, you get a small mark on your chest and you have to go to hell when you die. Forever. No way to get out of it. Praying won't do any good. Jesus can't help you.

Now each episode focuses on a different person and their personal beef with so-and-so. The dude or chick will get the doll and spend a day or two contemplating wether to pull the string. Or trying to decide the best time to do so.
All the while you're watching and thinking "Aw, c'mon, dude. You don't want to go to hell for eternity. Just chill out. Take a vacation or something. Or if you HAVE to get vengence, go kill them your damn self. Repent about it later and maybe you might still get to heaven."
And the show teases you. Something always happens and the dude or chick will start to have second thoughts. "Gee, maybe so-and-so isn't so bad" or "maybe there's another way I can resolve this problem".
But no. They ALWAYS end up pulling the damn string and condemning themselves to hell.
So while each episode is self-contained, there is an overall story arch about a journalist who is trying to get to the bottom of the Hell Girl phenomenon. He keeps trying to talk people out of their madness. Always to no avail.

(BTW, I'm not giving anything away by telling you this. It's like on Gilligan's Island how no matter what glimmer of hope appears throughout each episode, it ain't gonna get them off the island. The plan always backfires. ALWAYS! That's the whole point of the show!)

Interesting that a show like this would come out of Japan. Seeing that it's not a very religious nation. And yet, I have a hard time believing that a show this morbid would come out of America. I mean, it's a cartoon about people condemning themselves to hell.

It gets my seal of recommendation.