• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

His Name Is Frank

Bluelight Crew
coraline-comiccon.jpg

Adapted from the Hugo Award-winning, internationally best-selling novel by Neil Gaiman, Coraline is a spine-tingling tale about a curious girl who unlocks a mysterious door in her family's new home and enters into an adventure in a parallel reality.

On the surface, this "Other World" eerily mimics her own life - though it is much more fantastical. In it, Coraline encounters different versions of her own life, including off-kilter neighbors and an Other Mother who attempts to keep her forever. Ultimately, Coraline must rely on her resourcefulness, determination and bravery to get back home

This looks very interesting and is directed by Henry Selick, who also directed The Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. I'm definitely going to see it when it comes out.

Trailer

Behind the scenes

Has anyone seen this yet? I thought for sure at least two or more bluelighters would have seen this already. I'm going to see it tomorrow. Tonight, I'm going to go watch Jason fuck some shit up.

I saw this in 3D two nights ago with some perceptual enhancement of my own in addition to the glasses--so maybe I'm biased--but I loved it. It's a relief to know mainstream younger audiences are finally being exposed to darker visions than Disney's largely pacified offerings. In parts it evoked moods similar to those I crossed in The Triplets of Belleville, Yellow Submarine, or even Jan Svankmajer shorts--the latter of which I see the director sites as influential in a recent interview with The Onion. No manic hip hop animal characters designed to fit the safety specs of their future plush doll incarnations in this one. 9 out of 10.

Last edited:
I saw this last week with the girl that I have been dating. I found it to be very enjoyable, and very creepy toward the end, creepy enough that I think some kids watching it might get scared. It isn't like "The Nightmare Before Christmas". The film is not taken up entirely by singing. The story is interesting and I can see how Neil Gaiman had some influence in the art direction. I think it's something that people should go check out. I think it appeals to all ages. I would have liked it to be a bit longer, though.

I've not seen the film yet, but every review that I've read (from trusted reviewers mind you) has been very specific in saying how spectacular it is, and that the 3D effects only enhance the storyline, that they aren't there just to be there.

"This is an achingly gorgeous film, crafted in diligent detail and accompanied by Bruno Coulais’ deathly beautiful score. Much like the heroine herself, Coraline is clever and inquisitive but more than slightly surly at times."

I'll include a link for one really good review I read, (a quote from the review is above) it's the one that get me especially stoked to see the film.

http://www.pajiba.com/coraline-review.htm

enjoyed it quite a lot. beautiful animation, and great story. loved its creepiness and darker tones. 4/5

I loved this film. One of the best animations I've seen in years.

Alice in Wonderland meets The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Not to be missed.

I thought it was pretty good in 2D. I tried to watch the 3D version on a 42" 1080p blu ray thinking it was going to be bad ass but the 3D sucked. As far as the movie goes it was slow at first, but some of the scenes are made for when you're high as hell.

I honestly disliked Mirrormask. Im almost certain Coraline will be 1000x better.
Expectations...dont let me down!

^to each his own, but coraline was a few shades below nightmare imo. still a great film though.

Fantastic film. I love the concept of too much of a good thing being bad/grass isn't greener. The dancing garden was my favorite part but the entire thing is visually stunning.

What a delightful movie this was . Its appealing dark sensibility , quirky charcters, muted palette and wonderful visuals were everything I expected it to be, and more. The Bruno Coulais score is just my cup of tea as well, strangely beautiful music I could listen to all day and which stayed with me long after I viewed this.

The DVD comes with lots of extras and I particularly loved watching the "Making of Coraline" segment. It was nice seeing what inspires Selick and his team to create such wonderful art and the dedication needed in order to produce only 10 seconds of film! (um...3 weeks approximately).

Some of my other thoughts:
NSFW:

*I didnt particularly care for Coralines parents, especially her mother. What kind of mother is so dismissing, so sullen towards her own daughter? No emotional connection with the real parents whatsoever. And her dad reminded me so much of Adrian Brody I wonder if they did that on purpose.

* Love the characters of the other mother and father...creepy button eyes LOVE IT. I got so hungry watching the other mother prepare Coralines meals (mango shake..yum.)

* Garden was fabulous . Loved the room in the "other" world with the bug chairs and the surreal colors.

*Other mother in full fledged witch mode was horrifyingly perfect and a joy to watch haha.

*My favorite characters are Miss April Spink and Miss Miriam Forcible --- hilarious and so over the top.

coraline_movie_image__6_.jpg

love the concept of too much of a good thing being bad/grass isn't greener.
Word. Me too. Also, sometimes we have to experience something truly awful in order to better appreciate our lot in life, which wasnt so bad after all!
<3
44750325.jpg