• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
I read about this in Thursday's S.I.

It sounds really interesting. I've been to plenty of indy circuit wrestlijg shows in my life and it is really sad to see some of the 40 or 50 something wrestlers still trying to give it their all and put on a good match. And I don't mean sad in a pathetic way, I mean it in the most commendable way possible. These guys still do what they love, often for little or no pay at all, with the injury risk extremely high (I don't have any stats, but I can just about gurantee pro wrestling is one of the hardest jobs out there).

Steroids is just a part of the biz.

But I definitely plan on checking this out. Not sure when though, as it's only in limited release.

This seems lightyears away from my beloved The Fountain, but I'll still give it a watch, if for nothing then for hopes of homoeroticism =D.

watched this tonight, my.. its intense. rourke owned as randy "the ram". at the end u really feel for the guy. he seems to be a genuine nice guy and make some bad choices that hurt his daughter but hell we all make mistakes and it gets to the point where the only thing he has in life to feel good about is wrestling so u can understand why he puts his body through so much abuse. 5/5

5/5, if for nothing more than Rourke's performance.

It's a phenomenal, phenomenal performance. Tomei and Wood are excellent as well, and araonofsky leaves the gimmicks at home to make a wonderful, raw film.

best acting performance i've seen in a long time (rourke) with an excellent supporting cast. rourke really deserves any praise or awards that come his way from this performance. these polls should be public, i'd like to see why somebody thinks it it a 1 star film!

hmm... from the sound of it, it sounds like a worth while movie to see

best acting performance i've seen in a long time (rourke) with an excellent supporting cast. rourke really deserves any praise or awards that come his way from this performance. these polls should be public, i'd like to see why somebody thinks it it a 1 star film!

Pay no attention to the one star, Evad. There seems to be alot of one star ratings here lately. Same person? Likely. Who cares though. I go by word of mouth, not star rating. I'll definitely check this out when we get it.

another beautiful film by DA. very emotional. took me from start to finish. although a little predictable, it does what it does and it does it very fucking well.
4/5

i have been looking forward to this one for a while. i heard that rourke, an old favorite back in his hot days, was really beat into working hard during this filming. apparently he wasn't a first choice for the film and was quite difficult and was "reminded" that this was his last chance.

and it just seems like such a brilliant last chance. can't wait to review it.

apparently he wasn't a first choice for the film and was quite difficult and was "reminded" that this was his last chance.

how in the name of god was he not the only choice?! who else is going to play a washed up piece of meat whose life peaked before 1990 better than mickey rourke?!

anyway rourke totally nails this role. no one of portrays vulnerability and fragility quite like him.

see this movie

He should get the Oscar nod for this but won't.

Marisa Tomei just might win tho.

Cant wait to see this. Considering that Mickey Rourke is my first love EVER, this will be double the emotional rollercoaster ride.

Much better than expected. Not bad at all, it's no masterpeice but it's a decent enough film. Probably wouldn't watch it a second time.

Last edited:
was it coincidental that Rourke's character "the cook" in Spun was an avid pro-wrestling fan? some kind of connection made by the casting director ... or is Rourke actually a fan? i don't know the background.

Rourke is perfect, and the grainy hand-held captures the nuances of his performance. some great collaboration between actor and director, approaching DeNiro/Scorsese level interplay (yes, that good imo). Tomei offers perfect support as do all the minor characters .... EXCEPT the daughter character which feels forced and out of place (complete fail all around on this aspect). i think weak writing is at the core of the problem, but the whole thing seems to just fall apart around it. otherwise, a pretty incredible effort. 4/5

Last edited:
I did really like it & I really liked Mickey Rourke, but christ did I feel uncomfortable most of the way through it.

I agree with colors, the daughter was a bit ropey, but it was quite essential for the plot to show what a loser he had become.

Also......

The scene with the meat slicer had me bouncing on my seat screaming "Noooooooo!" before he even did anything. The back of my knees felt horribly gooey :D

Not what you would rate as "feelgood", but a damn good movie all the same. By the next morning I can hardly remember what I watched the night before due to most movies being total shit, but this one has stayed with me for a couple of days now. That alone merits a high 4/5.