Votes: 1 8.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
I just got this and will be watching it tonight. Will post my impressions later, just wanted to know what you guys think about it.

I never liked Sandler, and this will be very interesting to watch as a Palestinian. I'll write up a review as soon as I'm done with it.

"hate" is a strong word, but not quite strong enough to describe my feelings towards adam sandler. he's the anti-lol. you couldn't pay me enough to watch that movie.

but yeah, hope you enjoy it! :)

I enjoyed it in spite of myself. But I was also really stoned.

I thought it was stupid . . one of the worst movies ever for adam sandler

This is HORRIBLE!

If there ever was a definition of what a bad movie is, that would be it! I take back what I said about The Matrix 2 or Hostel... this definitely out-sucks them. Where do I start??

I agree with what vibby said. Sandler is as unfunny as ever. I was unable to smile, let alone laugh, throughout the movie.

I think I am most frustrated by the fact that Palestinian-American IDIOTS actually accepted these roles! This is so embarrassing. The portrayal of Palestinians is very offencive and I am sure if anyone did the same with Jews, hell would break lose and he would be labelled anti-semitic and probably holocaust-denier, or something. Sure, he makes fun of the Jews, but that is just in well-intentioned humour. The treatment of the Palestinians, however, is just outright nasty. Und wai muset ol paleesteenianz tok laik ziss? And whats up with that little victory dance? I've never seen it myself...

He seems to have been trying to inject some sort of peaceful message, but utterly failed.

Disgusting.

Well, Jamshyd, judging by your OP, it didn't look like you were going into the movie with an open mind.

I like dumb Adam Sandler movies: Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Click.....Waterboy to a lesser extent; but this movie just looked dumb without the fun. Maybe I'll watch it for free at a friend's house, but no way am I paying to see it.

Jamshyd said:
This is HORRIBLE!

If there ever was a definition of what a bad movie is, that would be it! I take back what I said about The Matrix 2 or Hostel... this definitely out-sucks them. Where do I start??

I agree with what vibby said. Sandler is as unfunny as ever. I was unable to smile, let alone laugh, throughout the movie.

I think I am most frustrated by the fact that Palestinian-American IDIOTS actually accepted these roles! This is so embarrassing. The portrayal of Palestinians is very offencive and I am sure if anyone did the same with Jews, hell would break lose and he would be labelled anti-semitic and probably holocaust-denier, or something. Sure, he makes fun of the Jews, but that is just in well-intentioned humour. The treatment of the Palestinians, however, is just outright nasty. Und wai muset ol paleesteenianz tok laik ziss? And whats up with that little victory dance? I've never seen it myself...

He seems to have been trying to inject some sort of peaceful message, but utterly failed.

Disgusting.

Adam Sandler movies have taken stabs at rednecks / southern American's plenty of times. You even mention yourself that the movie makes fun of Jews but then pass it off as ok, why, because Adam Sandler is a Jew?

I've seen plenty of movies that over exaggerate Australian's or portray them as stupid and lazy, or just get our culture wrong. I couldn't care less.

Why are Palestinian's 'out of bounds'?

I will admit I haven't seen Don't Mess With the Zohan, because it looks like a terrible movie, but the point still stands.

^ Read what I wrote again. I'll try to sum it up for you in a more digestible format:

- He is making a movie in a context of a war. Portraying one side as FAR more inferior than the other is sending a clear message. Making fun of australins without comparing them to a "more civilized" people is a different matter.

- Had anyone portrayed the jews in the same light, they'd be called anti-semites. Imagine making a film about WWII where the Germans are portrayed as witty party-goers and the Jews as primitive uncivilized pigs. Unthinkable, isn't it?

- Had a Palestinian made the same movie from the other side, he'd be branded an anti-semitic terrorist.

Then again, I've never been a fan of arguing with you, RE, and I'm sure the above will go right over your head.

Jamshyd said:
^ Read what I wrote again. I'll try to sum it up for you in a more digestible format:

- He is making a movie in a context of a war. Portraying one side as FAR more inferior than the other is sending a clear message.

Australian troops are at war right now, as are southern Americans. Heard of Iraq?
Is it not ok to "make fun" of a race if they are at war?

Jamshyd said:
Making fun of australins without comparing them to a "more civilized" people is a different matter.

This is what I was basically disputing. A similar thing occurs when the southern Americans are made fun of in other Adam Sandler movies, they are portrayed as violent, uncivilsed, almost retarded, while being compared to a handful of relatively civilised people. But I don't take issue with this, and don't take issue with Australian's being portrayed similarly. I'm just trying to locate the reason why you feel it is so wrong when it is your own country that is in the spotlight?

Jamshyd said:
Had anyone portrayed the jews in the same light, they'd be called anti-semites. Imagine making a film about WWII where the Germans are portrayed as witty party-goers and the Jews as primitive uncivilized pigs. Unthinkable, isn't it?

This a massive shift of context, which is what you were relying on in your first point ("context of war"). What you are describing might be considered going too far, unless it were done in a humorous light.

What is "my own country," pray tell?

As I said, arguing with you goes nowhere. Bye bye, Rated E.

Let's try and stay on topc here, you two. I live in Louisiana and I wouldn't waste my words citing The Waterboy as a slanderous, sterotypical blow against my state and heritage. They're dumb comedies. Nothing more, nothing less.

Discuss You Don't Mess With The Zohan only and keep the fighting where it belongs. In the lounge, perhaps? :)

*I'm sorry. What I meant to say is that you were right and that this is not the place to continue arguing with Jamsyd.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Had a Palestinian made the same movie from the other side, he'd be branded an anti-semitic terrorist.
that would be far from true in many places
in spain where i used to live for instance, there was a very strong pro-palestinian trend (and in many other places in europe too)

i'm not a fan of adam sandler (walked out of punch drunk love after 30 minutes)
but i had fun looking at the ridiculous not quite super hero, but still kind of, with (bad) tastes from another time
i think the character was entertaining (come on! writing "disco" with the bullets while training shooting :) )

I am most frustrated by the fact that Palestinian-American IDIOTS actually accepted these roles!
maybe they accepted the roles because they do feel as the characters in the movie
maybe they do feel that the hate is ridiculous and painful and that laughing of yourself first is a good first step to make things better
maybe they are detached enough from the situation to just consider themselves as americans, and not understanding why the rage goes on over there while they can actually live together in the states

he doesn't seem to
he did try to... at his level
which is not only more than nothing, but actually a very nice deed in a business that usually doesn't care about ethics

when the message is simple (peace), it doesn't matter if it is presented in a way that seems ridiculous to many
they are the one incapable of understanding a simple message
he's not guilty of addressing the subject in a simple way
if he had tried, or could try, something more serious, it would have passed over many people's heads

that said, i don't know the topic like you do and may be missing something important

i did spend a good 10h on wikipedia trying to understand the problem, and all i can remember is that none side is willing to make real consessions to help to situation improve

well, as silly as adam sandler's movie may be, he did pass this point clearly : stop fighting back

when the fighting stops, both sides win
but the one at the origin of the common winning is the first one to present the right cheek after being slapped on the left one

Vegan, you are right for the most part. However, my main complaint is that the film is hypocritical. It attempts to call for peace and yet sandler doesn't even try to hide his biases and his judeaophelia. Yes, everyone is presented farcically, but you cannot even compare the way he depicts palestinians to the way he depicts jews.

I am quite astonished to find that some people seem to not have noticed just how biased the film is in its ridicule. In fact, the bulk of the film is really about shamelessly showing how backwards, subhuman, and idiotic he thinks the Palestinians are, and not much else. To me, this is just a very badly done movie, and one that got away being offense because it targets a group that the majority is as ignorant about as Sandler himself.

I have no problem laughing at a good satire, but I found his "humour", like always, plainly stupid. For the record, I think his satire of the Jews is not funny either.

In any case, you and I should have a talk about this sometime soon :)

ps. My problem with this film is very much the same as my problem with Borat's depiction of Kazakhstan, although Borat was very well done in all other aspects while this was not.

Last edited:
i found it quite funny, and i think he make both fun with jews and palestinians, it is just 2nd dumb degree, i was really high while watching me but i found it quite funny.

Not the best movie of course, but quite funny.

i found it funny, as well, but my humor tends to differ from others, so...

would i buy it? no. would i watch it again? why not?