Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Which is your favorite: Paul Thomas Anderson movie?

which is the best?

• Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boogie Nights

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Magnolia

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Punch Drunk Love

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • There Will Be Blood

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

L2R

Bluelight Crew
so, which is it?

Last edited:
Magnolia is full of astounding and epic win.

The others are pretty okay to good, especially Boogie Nights (quite good), but Punch Drunk Love was just a totally awful movie. But I despise Adam Sandler from the depths of my soul, so that might have colored my opinion.

well, one of my favourite films is Magnolia, so it was no contest for me.

with a cast like this, it couldn't go wrong. all of them were amazingly good.

Julianne Moore ... Linda Partridge

William H. Macy ... Donnie Smith

John C. Reilly ... Officer Jim Kurring

Tom Cruise ... Frank T.J. Mackey

Philip Baker Hall ... Jimmy Gator

Philip Seymour Hoffman ... Phil Parma

Jason Robards ... Earl Partridge

Alfred Molina ... Solomon Solomon

Frank T.J. Mackey: Respect the cock! And tame the cunt! Tame it! Take it on headfirst with the skills that I will teach you at work and say no! You will not control me! No! You will not take my soul! No! You will not win this game! Because it's a game, guys. You want to think it's not, huh? You want to think it's not? Go back to the schoolyard and you have that crush on big-titted Mary Jane. Respect the cock. You are embedding this thought. I am the one who's in charge. I am the one who says yes! No! Now! Here! Because it's universal, man. It is evolutional. It is anthropological. It is biological. It is animal. We... are... men! =D

oh yeah, boogie nights would have been a close second.

Close call for me between Magnolia and There Will Be Blood. Magnolia has been in my top 5 for years and years but There Will Be Blood really blew me away in a different direction. Regardless, love PT Anderson's work.

big <3's for boogie nights! i regret giving my copy to mcwigga.

magnolia and twbb both blow me away too. i like punch drunk love.

It's really quite hard to choose, he's been one of my favorites for a long while. Magnolia was excellent but I'm going to have to go with Boogie Nights I suppose. Hard Eight is awesome but doesn't really hold a candle to those two. Now I absolutely love LOVE Punch Drunk Love but it's in a league all of it's own.

Magnolia is an amazing movie. But I have yet to see There Will Be Blood, and since I plan on renting it soon I think I will wait to participate in this poll. :)

I thought Magnolia was the most self-indulgent movie I had seen. Just way over the top. He threw the kitchen sink in with that one. If he wasn't on blow when he made that movie, I'll eat my trousers. Impressive in parts but a bit of a monstrosity when taken as a whole.
While it may not be his "best" movie, Punch Drunk Love is probably my favorite.

i'm a big fan and i've loved all of his other movies. for me, he set his own bar at a new height when he made 'there will be blood'.

alasdair

Easy decision for me, it's Boogie Nights. Superb film. And I only saw it for the first time less than a year ago! Shame on me.

I agree with EA on Magnolia. Without getting carried away (like the film did), I thought it was like a try-hard version of the much more grounded Lantana (which I very much like), despite Magnolia coming first. I've given it two gos, and it will be a long time before I inevitably give it a third try.

TG: totally agree about the drugstore scene. that was pretty shocking like.

heh, boogie nights is on channel five in the UK at the moment. it's great. %)

To summarize: Boogie Nights was fun and extremely well done, but There Will Be Blood is a complete mind blower. It is the type of film that stays in your head and stews for a long time after viewing. Magnolia was easier to like when it was on the big screen. Something about having no distractions during a viewing made it easier to get sucked in. I still think it is a really great film, just a lot to take in at once.

^a fine assessment which i completely agree with

but i still like boogie nights more :)

I don't understand why everyone loves Magnolia so much. It's true among my friends as well. But to me, it was just way too long, and dare I say, boring.

However, There Will Be Blood is one of the best films I have ever had the pleasure, nay the privilege, of seeing. I was blown away by it, in a way that I have not often felt from a film. It sort of made me never want to see another movie ever again, so the lingering memory I have of the medium is utter perfection.

Ok, that was a little overboard perhaps, but still. Transcen-fucking-dental.