• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

tv: Polarizing Television Shows

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
There are just those shows out there that people either love or hate. The first one that comes to mind is Everybody Loves Raymond. I think this show sucks... bad. I was under the impression the only people who watched it were middle-aged bored mothers who had bad senses of humor and nothing else to do. But it turns out I'm wrong. I have friends who genuinely enjoy it and are surprised I don't like it. I also have friends who feel the exact same way I do.

But that's just one example surely there are more out there. :)

Seinfeld is a perfect example here. So many people love and hate, both Jerry, and Larry David's sense of humor. I guess the same could be said for Curb.

I don't know if this extends beyond my friends at all, but we are intensely divided on Battlestar Galactica. About half of us think it is the bees knees (including myself), and the rest think it is a complete waste of time.

Although, I do suspect that half of those who are opposed only say so because they see it as just another sci-fi nerdfest, and haven't really watched it.

I knew a ton of people that absolutely refused to watch even a single episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They would give me shit dispite never having seen it. Ever. "What? Buffy? You gotta be kidding me!"
I would tell them, "Yeah, I know it looks stupid and the movie sucked. But the show is really good! Honest! The writing is smart and funny." To no avail.
I can't think of another show that had such animosity from people who had never watched it than Buffy.

Lost.

I think it's one of the greatest shows ever produced for network television. Most of my friends love it just as much.

I've also run into a few people who think it's the biggest waste of time on television.

Lost is a good example. I love it and so do several other people I know but for everyone of us that love it theres someone else that hates it and won't go near it.

I also found the same on a lesser scale with shows like OZ and The Shield

i've never seen a single episode of lost, and for some reason... i don't feel as though i'm missing a thing. i'm not saying i wouldn't enjoy it if i DID watch it, but i have no desire to watch it. also... as far as everybody loves raymond is concerned... i can't STAND robert (aka... that huge guy with the deep voice), but other than that, i think the show is actually pretty damn funny. i LOVE deborah (raymond's wife) and think she's f'n gorgeous. also... raymond's dad is HILARIOUS, but sometimes his mom can be a bit over bearing and not enjoyable to watch... BUT... for the most part... i think the show is pretty funny.

i suppose i would throw in... STELLA. i LOVED that show, but everyone i've ever talked to about it said "that's probably the worst show on tv!" i don't get that though, michael, michael, and david are fucking HILARIOUS!

I've never seen Lost. I'm sure its a great show and all. It's just that TV requires too much commitment these days. You can't just watch an episode here and there anymore. You got these season-long story arcs.
You don't just "start watching Lost". You have to "Get into Lost". You have to sign up to devote one hour each week to this show. And even if I were down for that, once I started watching, I'd want to go back and watch the first few season. It's just too ambitious of an undertaking.
Ditto for Heroes.

How about "Who's Line Is It Anyway?", the one back in the day with Drew Carey. I couldn't imagine a less funny show, and watching it was absolutely horrible, but there are a lot of people that would sit in front of the TV and laugh their asses off the whole time - plus it was crazy popular for a while.

are we allowed to name shows we've never actually watched from start to finish?

captainballs said:
How about "Who's Line Is It Anyway?", the one back in the day with Drew Carey. I couldn't imagine a less funny show, and watching it was absolutely horrible, but there are a lot of people that would sit in front of the TV and laugh their asses off the whole time - plus it was crazy popular for a while.

The original British version was actually pretty good. They used to show it on Comedy Central. Ryan Stiles actually featured prominently on the UK version while he was still unknown in the states.
I never saw the US version cause I'm a bit weary of Americanized versions of UK shows. Occasionally it works. But for every "The Office" there's about 3 "Couplings".

Seinfeld, I've always hated it however I'm sort of use to everyone's inane obsession with it.
Scrubs, easily the worst T.V. show ever yet so many people think it is funny.
I Love New York, most people hate her and her reality T.V. shows, I on the other hand, for some unknown reason, have a great affinity for her insanity and stupidity.
Family Guy, I'm a bit tired of it but I still like it. American Dad is waaaaay better.
Law and Order: CI w/ Vincent D'Onofrio, everyone seems to really dislike D'Onofrio and only like L&O: SVU. I like them all, but I really LOVE D'Onofrio.

eggman said:
I also found the same on a lesser scale with shows like OZ and The Shield

WHO doesn't like The Shield?!?!

I'd say Family Guy I'm so f-ing sick of it I can't stand to even be in the same room anymore if that show is on, and I know others are with me. But of course it still has a cult following

LoveAlways said:
I'd say Family Guy I'm so f-ing sick of it I can't stand to even be in the same room anymore if that show is on, and I know others are with me. But of course it still has a cult following

im with you on that one! i cant stand family guy, but all my friends love it. it's a perpetual hell. :(

That 70s Show. Almost all of my friends hate this show, but I've always had some sort of strange fondness for the series.

Family Guy is utter nonsense, and I'm really tired of seeing it dominate the airwaves. A lot of people seem to love it, though.

steinanwine said:
Law and Order: CI w/ Vincent D'Onofrio, everyone seems to really dislike D'Onofrio and only like L&O: SVU. I like them all, but I really LOVE D'Onofrio.
My problem with L&O:CI isn't D'Onofrio, its the scripts. They are so painfully and poorly contrived. The dénouements are especially hard to sit through. A flaw in the story arc that has never been explained to my satisfaction is how Goren or Logan would ever get on Major Cases where one presumes political awareness and social finesse would be essential traits. The how they got to major cases isn't the problem for me as much as the unbelievability of Goren's being able to trick, charm, or bully everyone he comes in contact with. People need to tell Goren "Quit handling my stuff and get out of my house/office you social retard."

I admit it is a show I hate that I end up watching. I get so mad though, good premises ruined with poor plotting and artificial dialogue.

spiralza said:
That 70s Show. Almost all of my friends hate this show, but I've always had some sort of strange fondness for the series.

i dont necessarily hate that show, but i would never watch it at my house by myself.

rosanne. i think that show is completely fucking annoying b/c of her voice and cant watch it, but it was very popular when it was on tv.