Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

A question I've pondered all my life... (computers in movies)

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
Why is it that computers in movies or TV shows, no matter how realistically made, always, always, always make blips and noises that ordinary computers never make???

i don't know about why they would still do that, but i think that back in like the '80's, the point was to make it look more high-tech. because most computers in movies were doing things more advanced than the average ones out there, so maybe they felt the blips and stuff would reinforce that the actors are dealing with no ordinary 'pooter.

I doubt this is case with absolutely every movie and tv show, but I've noticed this myself over the years and just chalked it up to hollywood bs :\

Getting frustrated enough with computers

if they spoke or made such chatter as they do in movies, I believe this box would be next to the trash.

Its a paradox such as every movie having a lame romance (almost).. Doesn't always happen in real life but it grabs people and gives them an experience.

our technology sucks, is why. the blooping and bleeping computers of the future are so much more powerful and enviable.

silence is boring. who wants to watch a machine be quiet?

lazydullard said:
silence is boring. who wants to watch a machine be quiet?
i like mine to buzz louder closer to my climax. it just seems fitting.

Movie characters are in general more stimulus/response oriented than people in real life and movies require time compression. You can not send an email to find where the ancient artifact lies hidden and come back hours later to have the answer. You email, then a beautiful woman engages you in wondrous intercourse, then a computer beeps so that we can get back to our MacGuffin chasing.

Buck Murdock: Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're *flashing* and they're *beeping*. I can't stand it anymore! They're *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!

:D

For the same reason that there are a lot of sparks when people are welding. This is bad in real life, but it makes it look more cinematic. Picture the director saying "more sparks, more sparks!"

Or when bubbles are always coming out of the mouth of someone who's underwater.

yourewelcome.jpg

Jamshyd said:
Why is it that computers in movies or TV shows, no matter how realistically made, always, always, always make blips and noises that ordinary computers never make???

Dude, I have SO always wondered the same thing! Portrayals of compiter programs on TV always look all archaic and make funny, atari-like beeps. I think the reason they don't show actual computer monitor fottage is because monitors operate at a different frequency (whatever you call it, the number of frames shown per second) than video recorders. If you've ever tried to film a computer screen, it shows up all strange.

But why do you they do such a bad approximation? I'll probably never know.

I've never heard any one type as loud as they do on TV either!

I've always wondered why it is that when someone's talking on the phone, and the line goes dead, why do they continue to go, "hello?...hello?...HELLO?...".

I do that :| I just want to make sure I'm not actually hanging up on someone if they are indeed still there.

Yes, but when the phone is clearly making a 'bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' noise there's obviously nobody on the other end, is there?.

lol true, i don't keep trying to talk to the people on the other line in that case :D

Jamshyd said:

because they're not made as realistically as you already stated they are.

:)

I always marvel how fast they type too, at what? a thousand letters a quarter minute?