Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Shroom Season 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketbill

Bluelighter
When do ya'll reckon she'll kickin up?

And have any of you guys found much at the south coast, around april or so?

I went and checked my spots today actually and i spotted a few so maybe season will start early this year? :D

South coast NSW just to clarify, sorry about that. I didn't have any luck last year in sydney only down in victoria on a farm, found more a few growing in the woodchipped gardens

Last edited:
Im in Melbourne. Checked a really good patch from last year today, still too dry. And too warm as well IMO.

Unless we get bucketloads of rain, im not going to go back out much before late april-early may. Found my first mushrooms on May 1 last year and its been around a similar time for the past few years.

I know of people who pick them in Southern QLD, but you've missed the season anyway. Spring-Early summer is when they grow up there.

i wish i knew how to hunt.
theres a large woodchipped area down the road from me that sometimes swarms with mushies after it rains.
i need to learn how to identify them.

Edit- Please do do ask people to pm you about this. lil angel15

The best part is that they are free!

Last edited by a moderator:
The nights have to be frosty cold, like under 10 degrees and the weather wet with little sunshine.

Pine forests are a great place to look, if you get a Melways check out the maps and look for areas around you for the nearest pineforest.

The other place you will find them is woodchipped gardens, most public parks use woodchips around the plants, trees its always a good place to check.

And remember people dont do the greedy bogan act of tearing up the shroom patches:| !! Snip the shrooms off the ground with scissors so the roots stay intact and they will keep popping up all winter.

does anyone know when mushy season is for fnq, i've looked but havent found to many in the past.

8ft-Sativa said:
The nights have to be frosty cold, like under 10 degrees and the weather wet with little sunshine.

Pine forests are a great place to look, if you get a Melways check out the maps and look for areas around you for the nearest pineforest.

The other place you will find them is woodchipped gardens, most public parks use woodchips around the plants, trees its always a good place to check.

And remember people dont do the greedy bogan act of tearing up the shroom patches:| !! Snip the shrooms off the ground with scissors so the roots stay intact and they will keep popping up all winter.

All good points, except you don't want it to get so cold that you get a really intense frost. This will kill the mushrooms. We are talking below 5 here. A light frost is fine, but anything more wont help the mushrooms. This is why some go pretty much black, they bruise all over from the frost and then basically die.

You just missed the season in QLD. Psilocybe Cubensis grows up there which is more of a spring mushroom. We get Psilocybe Subaeruginosa down in Victoria, and they are a predominantly winter mushroom. So unless you drive 1500km south, you aren't going to find much unfortunately.

I guess since this is just sorta a leadup thread to the actual season I can afford to ask a couple questions :)

[Edit- No asking for spots to search or places to hunt. thanks. Lil angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I assume this will soon become the new ''Shroom season 2008'' thread, so I think we need to put some guidelines in place.

These are taken from last years thread written by fry-d.

Lets set some rules from the start.

No asking for ID's.

No asking for spots to search or places to hunt.

If this thread gets long like the last few have, make sure you completely read it and search the old ones so we don't have to keep repeating the same information over and over.

Lets try and keep it all together in one thread.

...and remember this is not social

Here is the link to last years thread, please read it BEFORE posting a question as 99% of the time someone else has asked it and there are plenty of good answers.

Mushroom Season 2007

Also just a note, there are far better resources on the 'net for mushroom ID/growing so be sure to do your research first.

:)

Lil angel15.

reading last years thread again makes me wish I lived in melbourne so badly...

Hoping to come across some in Perth. No doubt I'll have to go further south to find any.

Thank the gods for the rain today, I suspect our fungal overlords will be inflating in decadent grandeur beneath the soils. :) I hope my 'cultivated' woodchip heap decides to emit its fruit.....tasy stuff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.