• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: The Big Gift

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
This show looks so so so beyond bad. I can't believe Oprah sunk so low as to make philanthropy a game. And, a big-ass reality game. Lets romanticize doing good things for others. This has disgusted me so much.

Oprah's Big Give' raises big questions

Oprah Winfrey’s touch is supposed to be magical, but there’s something off-putting about her latest venture, a reality contest called “Oprah’s Big Give” (8 p.m. Sunday, WLS-Ch. 7). Ten contestants are challenged to help individuals who need everything from a new home to school tuition.

In the first episode, the 10 would-be helpers are put into five teams, and at the end of the hour, celebrity judges such as TV chef Jamie Oliver rate how well they did at working together to pull in donations, including those from celebrities and corporations.

But the show raises a lot of questions as it tries to wring tears from the viewer (there’s lots of weeping when the recipients get their gifts). How many of those corporate donations were lined up in advance and came from companies that were eager to be part of a prime-time Oprah endeavor? There’s one segment shot at a Target store that might as well be a commercial for the retailer.

And it’s strange that the staples of reality television — fighting and the ejection of an unsuccessful player — come to the fore in a show that’s supposed to be about altruism. Actually, it’s weird to be rating altruism at all.

Though “Oprah’s Big Give” is supposed to be celebrating the power of giving, it’s more likely to prove that not everything can or should be turned into a contest.

linky

The middle aged women on my route love to talk about reality television and Oprah. No surprise they love to talk a reality television show featuring Oprah. I heard from these ladies that the winner will receive one million dollars. You think they'll turn around and give it all away? I doubt it... I wish this was on cable so I would have no chance of coming across it...