Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 24/02/08 'Official link to drug info site'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Official link to drug info site
Simone Myers
February 24, 2008 12:00am

AN online guide to ecstasy in which users share information about the drug is being promoted by a government-funded agency.

Pillreports.com, accessed by thousands of young people across Australia and overseas, includes details on the illegal pills. On the site:

USERS rate the quality of tablets.

REVELLERS boast about how many pills they take in a night.

DRUGS are illustrated with photographs and described in detail.

THE chemical contents of tablets are revealed in tests.

The site is run by a Melbourne-based organisation called Enlighten Harm Reduction, whose details are also carried on the Australian Drug Foundation website.

At least two universities advertise on pillreports.com, asking for users to contribute to surveys about their experiences.

Enlighten also sells DIY kits so users can test the content of their pills. Among the comments on the site, one user says: "Must say they were the best pills I've ever tasted . . . buy up if you can get your hands on them."

Another says: "I'm averaging about 2-4 (pills) a night now, so hopefully these have a really good kick."

AN ADF spokesman Geoff Munro said the website held a purpose for society, "providing drug users with a service that doesn't exist elsewhere within a harm minimisation framework".

But he warned against taking the website as completely true.

Johnboy Davidson, a spokesman for Enlighten Harm Reduction, said the site aimed to help users, not harm them.

"For every 50 reports where people give positive reviews, there is one where someone tells how a pill made them sick and should be avoided," he said.

Herald Sun

Excellent news. All things considered, not a particularly bias article.

written in the typical herald sun conservative style, i really dont like that newspaper. good news though.

That article is fucked up... they make pillreports.com sound like they are promoting drug use when in actual fact it is one of the most non biased sources for drug info you can find on the net.

"I'm averaging about 2-4 (pills) a night now, so hopefully these have a really good kick."

Comments like that are so obviously put there to imply that the 'person' uses pills EVERY night....stupid doublespeak.

we should write letters to the opinion section of the herald sun. i am actually going to do it, i have the day off work and nothing else to do besides.

quite funny , i wonder if the journo was online checking out their pills for the weekend ;) *joke* ;)

Be aware that the Herald Sun can, and probably WILL, edit your letters. That's if you send some.

Read the conditions of writing to them in their opinions pages.

And expect a few angry letters from some redneck's in return.

My brain hurts every time I read a Herald Sun article.. I don't know why I even bothered to check this thread, did I really expect a comprehensive balanced report from the geniuses at the HS?

Once again they decide to target a positive drug organisation and spend all their time attempting to portray it as some evil drug pushing menace to society.. If only they could see it's articles like that that drive people to take drugs and not harm reduction websites.. In fact (if only they would quote this in one of their fabulous articles) I will now go and take 3 pills on the weekend because the Herald Sun's reports have driven me to drugs! :)

Read an article on truckie's and drugs in yesterday's paper, and they stated that 1 in 29 truck drivers had taken amphetamines - commonly known as speed - marijuana or ecstacy. Given just how much they clearly know, I'm surprised they managed to spell pill correctly.

Bent Mk2 said:
Read an article on truckie's and drugs in yesterday's paper, and they stated that 1 in 29 truck drivers had taken amphetamines - commonly known as speed - marijuana or ecstacy. Given just how much they clearly know, I'm surprised they managed to spell pill correctly.

Erm - that's just a reference to the 3 drugs tested for with roadside drug testing. So it's essentially correct - 1 in 29 tested truck drivers returned a positive test - for methamphetamine, cannabis or MDMA. What's the problem?

You can't test for MDMA in a roadside test specifically, so I don't think your point is valid. The article was wrong, it appears.

I never thought the government would ever care about that except for trying to shut it down... That is such a great thing to see that the government is actually trying to help with adulterated pill's and warning people about it rather then just saying don't do it at all blah blah blah you know how it goes....

ayjay said:
Erm - that's just a reference to the 3 drugs tested for with roadside drug testing. So it's essentially correct - 1 in 29 tested truck drivers returned a positive test - for methamphetamine, cannabis or MDMA. What's the problem?

They got it right later in the article, but in the opening they stated that meth was either MDMA or cannabis.

No, you've misread it.

Read an article on truckie's and drugs in yesterday's paper, and they stated that 1 in 29 truck drivers had taken amphetamines - commonly known as speed - marijuana or ecstacy

Dashes are often used as an alternative to commas or brackets. Therefore - commonly known as speed - refers to amphetamines.

View it again exchanging the dashes for brackets i.e.

Read an article on truckie's and drugs in yesterday's paper, and they stated that 1 in 29 truck drivers had taken amphetamines (commonly known as speed), marijuana or ecstacy