Bluelight Support FAQ - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

felix

Bluelight Crew

My Account

New Registrations

All new users have to be manually approved by an Administrator before they can log in. This is a fairly recent thing we've had to introduce to combat return spammers etc. and it's working extremely well.

So please be patient until your account is approved. You will then receive an email which will ask you to click on a link to activate it. Then you will be able to log in.

At which point, the following info will be useful:

Greenlighter? Bluelighter?

First of all, a Greenlighter is a new member who has made fewer than 50 posts.

During this phase of your membership, you will not be able to:

Once you have made 50 posts, you will become a Bluelighter and the above privileges will be granted. Please note that it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for this change to take affect, so please be patient.

I forgot my BL password

If you forgot your password, click the Forgot my password link. Enter your registered email address and a password link will be sent to you. If you don't see the link in your email, check your junk mail folder - some email providers sometimes classify our automated messages as junk mail.

I forgot my BL password and my registered email address is no longer valid (former employer/university, etc.)

We cannot help you with this because there is no way to verify your identity securely. Sorry.

Can I change my username?

You can't. Unless you are a current or ex member of staff. You will have to create a new username. Sorry.

How do I delete my account & posts?

You can't delete your account. But you can delete your own posts... one at a time. Use the search engine to show all posts created by yourself, open each one, and click the 'edit' button next to each one. The delete option is there, and from that point onwards you'll know what to do. You're awesome enough to be reading this FAQ, so I have every faith in you.

Who is this Soup Nazi guy and why is he sending me horrible messages?

The 'Soup Nazi' is apparently a very obscure reference to an obscure American 'comedy' show called 'Seinfeld' or something. It implies that the person sending the message is a bit of a bastard. Anyway, it's just an automated bot that is used to send out all warnings. You should listen to what he says, but there is no point shouting at him. He's just a bot. If you have a problem with any of these warnings, perhaps you should have a think about why you're getting them, then calm down, and then - if necessary - send a nice PM to the relevant forum mod(s) to discuss the matter.

Why has my postcount decreased?

Sometimes threads & posts get deleted. It happens, it's not always your fault, don't worry about it. If it goes down by thousands suddenly, let us know.

Why does my Inbox show 65534 unread Private Messages?

It's a glitch. The solution is to mark one message as read, then mark it as unread again.

Bells and Whistles

What happened to signatures?

They were disabled because some people abused the feature. Best thing that ever happened. TRUST ME ON THIS.

I get the error 'Remote Uploads Are Disabled' when trying to upload an avatar

Yeah, that's cos they're disabled. You need to upload the image from your own hard disc. How do you get it there? Download it. ;)

How do I make a poll?

Make a thread that's pollworthy, and ask nicely in the thread. Or PM one of the mods of the forum in question and talk about it with them and maybe they'll set it all up for you. Talking is good. (But rubbish polls aren't.)

How do I make 'NSFW' tags?

Highlight the relevant text or URL in your post and then click on the little NSFW icon over on the right, next to all the other little icons. (It's actually a little doggy, with the letters 'NSFW' superimposed over him.)

How do I insert an image into a post?

Copy the URL of the image in question, then click on the little icon that looks like a mountain, then paste it in, then hit enter. Try previewing your post to see if it works before you submit it.

Gallery Grief

Gallery FAQ HERE

Sorry, but I'm not even touching any Gallery issues until you've read that.

Posting Problems

My page doesn't refresh properly when I hit the back button, or it loads an older page.

Press Control (or shift in Firefox) and hit the Refresh button to force your browser to reload the page. Also, do not use the back button, but navigate the site using the navigation links at the top of the page.

I've made a post and it doesn't show up!

In all likelihood your post is there, but your browser still shows you the old page. Don't re-post your story immediately. Press Control (or shift in Firefox) and hit the Refresh button to force your browser to reload the page. It should appear now. Note that comments posted in the Gallery must be manually approved by the Gallery moderators, so there will always be a short delay before your comments appear in the Gallery area.

Bluelight won't load for me / I get Server not found errors

Perhaps there are transient network problems; try accessing the site again in a few minutes. Also double check if other sites have problems as well; if so it may be your provider. In a rare case, the server may be down or have a problem. If you keep receiving errors, your computer may have been inadvertently blocked in the firewall. Post in the Support forum from another computer if you need help. Be verbose about your problem; if possible mention your provider.

I constantly have to log in again

This is a common complaint and it always ends up being a problem with the user's computer. Here are some common troubleshooting steps:

* Please enable cookies in your browser.
* Try clearing your cookie cache and then logging in again.
* Check that your computer's clock is not set to the wrong time. If it is set for the year 2012 or something, the cookies will not work.
* Make sure your roommate has not changed your settings or that you are not trying to use someone else's account.
* If you have any privacy software, make sure it is configured to allow cookies for www.bluelight.ru. Internet Explorer 6 has privacy features built in; if you see a red stop sign in your browser's status bar (bottom of window), it means a cookie is blocked. Adjust your privacy settings accordingly.
* Please try using a different browser or different computer to identify the source of the problem.

If this does not work, you can post a message as an unregistered user in the Support forum, but you shouldn't expect Bluelight to solve the problem for you as the problem is not with Bluelight but with your computer.

I remain logged in, even when I click Log out

This is a known problem with some browsers, most notably Internet Explorer and older Safari versions. If this happens, you need to clear your browser's cookies manually. If you are unsure how to do this, post in the Support forum and mention your browser version. Sometimes clicking the Logout button twice helps.

I am getting an Error 406

This error means that the server has rejected your request because of its contents. The explanation for this is technical: some sequences of characters and commands are often used by hackers to exploit security problems in software. Therefore, our firewall inspects all page requests to check for possible hacks. This can be compared to a virus scanner. It could be that your post contains some "dangerous" characters. See if your post contains any weird characters or punctuation which could be the problem, and try submitting it again.

The most common reason for this is the use of brackets/parentheses. And the use of the word 'system'. And especially both together. Try copying your whole post to Notepad, and then pasting/submitting it a chunk at a time into Bluelight. That usually highlights the suspected terrorist part of your post.

Miscellaneous Woes

Not enough hours in the day to list mine, but any others will go in here. ;)

Please send me a PM if you have any suggestions/additions/amendments.

Thanks
felix

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.