• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Movies everyone hates but you

supertrav77

Ex-Bluelighter
A few months ago, I started a thread called Overrated Classics that was about movies that every one loves that you just "don't get".
Well, this thread is kind of the opposite. This is about universally panned movies that you actually enjoy.
Now I'm not talking about movies that are "so bad its good" and are great to watch stoned. That would be too easy. But I'm talking about movies that you feel genuinely get a bad rap.

For me:
Battlefield Earth - OK, the directing was poor and the acting left much to be desired. And it was written by L. Ron Hubbard and heavily hyped by the Church Of Scientology so any decent human being should want to hate this movie.
But you know what? I thought it was a pretty interesting story and had a good plot. I enjoyed it.
I'm not saying it's a GREAT movie. But it's far from being the worst movie of all time as some claim it is. There's many sci-fi blockbusters I'd rate lower: Godzilla, Transformers, The Hulk...

A.I. - I saw it in the theater and thought it was great. I was moved. I honestly don't understand the vitriol some people have for this movie. Maybe there are some pacing problems.
That having been said, I haven't seen it since it came out. I'm seven years older and wiser so maybe I can figure it out on second viewing.

Myra Breckinridge - Here's another one that's on wiki's worst movies ever page.
I can kind of understand why 1970's audiences would have hated this movie. Even for being a product of the hippy era, this movie was pretty edgy. Tons of homoerotic over-tones. Humor is often dark, sometimes even sadistic. The female protagonist is not at all sympathetic.
And yet I thought it was hilarious. Some stylish and quirky directing. I'd recommend to anyone who likes Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls or the Monkees's Head.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Everyone calls it a fucking bore, but it's one of my favorite sci-fi films. Especially the Director's Edition.

Waterworld. Everybody seems to fucking hate it, but I enjoyed it.

People hate A.I.? I'm with you supertrav I enjoyed that movie a lot.

Ravenous: Awesome dark comedy about a cannibal

Damien8787 said:
People hate A.I.? I'm with you supertrav I enjoyed that movie a lot.

Yeah. In fact, I've seen a few BL-ers have mentioned it on various "worst movie ever" threads. I mean, it's not Battlefield Earth hated. But I seem to meet 3 people who dispise it for every 1 that likes it.

Natural born Killers one of my absolute favorit movies I just love over the top violence

I don't think I know anyone that hates Natural Born Killers.

i hated natural born killers. and i'm a big oliver stone fan. also, to whoever mentioned ravenous... that movie is awesome. but i don't think people hate it so much as don't know about it. it was a fairly obscure film.

Night Of The Living Dead 1990 remake.

I prefer it to the original. Most people don't like it at all.

JerryBlunted said:
i hated natural born killers. and i'm a big oliver stone fan. also, to whoever mentioned ravenous... that movie is awesome. but i don't think people hate it so much as don't know about it. it was a fairly obscure film.

Welllllllllll... I (and I'm sure a lot of other people did as well) saw it for one reason: because Damon Alburn wrote music for the soundtrack. I didn't think much of it.

supertrav77 said:
Damon Alburn wrote music for the soundtrack. I didn't think much of it.

He did?. I didn't realise that.

The soundtrack was very good as I recall. It's one of those movies I like in theory, but when I put it on I end up getting restless with it. I like the message, the acting (apart from whatshisname, you know who I mean), the soundtrack, cinematography etc. But when it comes down to it the actual story/dialogue is a bit boring really :\

lol yeh i liked waterworld also but everyone hated it :p

also Pearl Harbour didnt get rated but I liked for some reason

mcwally said:
also Pearl Harbour didnt get rated but I liked for some reason

I never saw Pearl Harbor but I remember thinking that it looked like a cynical attempt to make another Titanic. I think that's where a lot of its grief comes from.

waterworld comes to mind immediately. i really enjoyed it. costner is what he is and who can complain about dennis hopper as a bad guy? and jeanne tripplehorn is such a hottie.

it's interesting that this movie is known as a financial disaster - its budget was $175m and the worldwide gross was $265m. hardly shabby.

my favourite moment is when the depth-gauge guy who lives on the little boat in the fuel tank utters "oh, thank god! "

alasdair

IMO, Waterworld wasn't horrible. It's pretty much a typical hollywood summer blockbuster. No better no worse than, say Godzilla, Transformers, Charlie's Angels Full Throttle, a bunch of movies that get a lot less grief., etc, etc, etc,.
It does however, push one's suspention of disbelief to its very limit. But it ain't bad. I mean, cigarettes after hundreds of years? I doubt it.

tribal girl said:
Night Of The Living Dead 1990 remake.

I prefer it to the original. Most people don't like it at all.

That was ok, but not the best Romero film

supertrav77 said:
A.I. - I saw it in the theater and thought it was great. I was moved. I honestly don't understand the vitriol some people have for this movie. Maybe there are some pacing problems.
That having been said, I haven't seen it since it came out. I'm seven years older and wiser so maybe I can figure it out on second viewing.
+1

AI was fantastic. A futuristic fairytale. Loved it.